• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

i want to speed my reading

Ice said:
:) At that point I was at university and no, I didn't have anything more pressing to do that day :) I had 16 hours of lectures a week (Phil had 4!) spread over three days, which left me with four days a week in which to do nothing (well except my projects but I always left them to the last minute and then pulled all nighters :rolleyes: ) I had a lot of free time on my hands and didn't have any of the obligations I do now.

Yes, its sad but true, so busy were we at university that we had nothing to do all day. Imagine! It was a terrible toll on us i can tell you. Oh, and yes, she did read it all in one day, she's a bit scary like that sometimes :cool:

<Notices she's a Moderator>

Yikes, better shut up now :D

Phil

VTChEwbecca said:
Like Michigan, I reread books because I enjoy them. I don't reread many, but there are a few old favorites that I pick up when I need a trusted friend. I know the characters, the setting, everything...sometimes its just as refreshing to turn to the known as to the unknown.
I couldn’t agree more :) – I have several books that I have re-read on numerous occasions. Usually they tend to be series (where the author brings out a new book, so I go back and read the previous books again) but some I read solely for the pleasure of it. One that springs to mind is Jean Auel’s Earth’s Children series. I have lost count of the number of times I have re-read those :rolleyes: (SOS excluded – I’ve only read that twice).

phil_t said:
Yikes, better shut up now :D
That'll be a first :rolleyes:
:D

Fast Reader?

How long does it take you to read an average sized book, say 300 pages? I'm not that fast a reader, not that slow either though. I was wondering if there are any ways to improve, cuz I have so many books I want to get through. Occasionally, I seem to just get distracted by my own thoughts, and read the page but then afterwards realise that I wasn't paying any attention, even if I'm enjoying the book.

There is a thread on a similar subject hereBut if your problem is that you get distracted by your own thoughts, it could be that sometimes you are not in the mood for reading, have too much on your mind at the moment, etc.

For me, it's not about the speed of the read, but about enjoying the book. There are ways to improve your speed reading skills, but I don't necessarily think this is a best idea when you are reading for pleasure (reading for business/study, on the other hand is different - I wish I'd learnt some speed reading skills years ago!). I like my reading experience to be relaxing, and trying to go as fast as I can doesn't bring relaxation to mind!

I think you need to look at *why* your mind has wandered. I will sometimes zone out of a book when something I read has distracted me on another thought path, for example I start thinking about another book or event that reminds me of the story in front of me. But this will only happen once and then I'll get back to the book. I also get very distracted when I'm tired. I want to keep reading, but my brain is falling asleep. When do you tend to read? If it's at the end of a long day, after playing with your kids, or right before you go to bed, then it's probably because your tired. Try reading at different times and see if that helps.

My advice if you want to get through more books is to set aside more time to read! That sounds easy, but if you're like me I find that when I know I have free time I will schedule something, like a movie, seeing friends or just spending time with my partner. Look at your schedule and see how much 'YOU' time you set aside. If it's not enough, schedule it in! I have made an appointment for myself, my couch and my book this Saturday afternoon :D .

Different books force me to read at different speeds. For example currently I am reading David Copperfield. The book itself has a smallish font with a lot packed onto each page which causes me to read a little slower than a wider spaced larger font would allow. Dickens' sentence structure requires care, all those freaking commas! The language slows me down a bit. The deeper subtext. This book is simply more complex than the previous books I read recently. In the time it has taken me to get halfway through Copperfield I had read several books. If I remember correctly I read Ender's Game by Card, Journey by Michener, The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, the latest Potter and Peter Benchley's Beast. I think the volume of words there is greater than that of Copperfield alone yet like I said, I have only made it halfway through the Dickens book in the same amount of time. Granted I have not read as much as I did during this period but the difference is negligible. All this is of course irrelevent of focus.

ions said:
Different books force me to read at different speeds. For example currently I am reading David Copperfield. The book itself has a smallish font with a lot packed onto each page which causes me to read a little slower than a wider spaced larger font would allow. Dickens' sentence structure requires care, all those freaking commas! The language slows me down a bit. The deeper subtext. This book is simply more complex than the previous books I read recently. In the time it has taken me to get halfway through Copperfield I had read several books. If I remember correctly I read Ender's Game by Card, Journey by Michener, The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, the latest Potter and Peter Benchley's Beast. I think the volume of words there is greater than that of Copperfield alone yet like I said, I have only made it halfway through the Dickens book in the same amount of time. Granted I have not read as much as I did during this period but the difference is negligible. All this is of course irrelevent of focus of course.

I agree. It took me an awful lot longer to read Dostoevksky's Crime & Punishment than say, American Psycho, even though neither of them are particularly short.

I probably am tired when I read. I took that wpm test, and got 245, which is probably pretty mediocre, like reading aloud in my head, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I read about 300 pages of fiction a day, at about two pages a minute. The story has to move along, though. This doesn't mean it has to be a constant thriller, but it does mean that long interludes of explanation are going to get my mind wandering.

Non-fiction is a little harder. If it is narrative--if it is like fiction--it will go pretty quickly. If it is more explanatory, I find it harder. Each sentence can set me off on other thoughts. Footnotes distract me. I might ultimately find it interesting, but it will be slow. And if it's really interesting, then I have an urge to jump up and say "Listen to this."

This is an effect of ADHD. I'm grateful that I can read fairly quickly, though you'd think that wouldn't go along with attention problems. I know several other people with ADHD, however, who can also read very fast once they get going.

I read pretty fast. I read a total of 15 books, an average of 350 pages each, in about a month and a half last year.

I agree with Kookamoor on this one - I place pure enjoyment in a book before the speed in which I get through it. I couldn't fully enjoy a book, and by that I mean totally immerse myself in the world of the book, if I was reading it as fast as I possibly could. I find that I enjoy reading a lot more if a take a relaxed approach towards it, rather than picking up a book with a stopwatch in hand, trying to set a new record.

~MonkeyCatcher~

I can finish a 300 page book in a matter of hours if it is really interesting, or it can take me as long as two months, which is how long it took me to finish reading a book that I didn't enjoy but was curious to how it would end.

It would take me about 3 hours for 300 pages, maybe more, maybe less. I've always been reasonably quick reader, so I can't tell you how to speed up. But think of it like this - you'll never be able to read all the books in the world, so it's a thankless task. You might as well enjoy the ones you can get through, rather than spending time trying to speed up to reach the ever-receding end - and thus being constantly dissatisfied with what you have read.

It i am totally gripped by a book i will read it in about a day and a half! But i read very quick anyway :)

speed reading

I'm not a slow reader but i'm not very fast either (although reading how fast people on here read i probably am classed as slow!). Average would pretty much describe me and it depends on the complexity of the book definately. Trouble is when i was younger i skipped words i didn't know, saying 'i can't be bothered to look them up in a dictionary' and i hated it when my mum used long words and didn't want to know explanations - i'm the complete opposite now! Love words. Anyway, now when i read i look up all words i don't know so that slows me down a bit but i'm learning them now so that's good! I sound like a rite dim wit now don't i?! I'm not really ;)

I wanted to be able to read really fast because i know i cant and got a book out on teach yourself speed reading, read that, tried it a bit, gave up. I don't think you really see every word when you read like they say and you wont have the same enjoyment probably -obv i can't say because i've never been able too.

Anyway, I'd say just relax and you read faster - if you push yourself to be fast it slows you down, read in a quiet spot if you can and learn word meanings so you understand quickly.

Claire x

my problem is not how fast to read its finding a book that captures my attention. i mean a book has to grab me from the very start otherwise by the fourth page im day dreaming and thinkng about other things. its kind of frusterating, but i also do alot of writing. i wonder if that has anything to do with my unableness to read anything. i mean, if a story doesn't go exactly how i like, its like i set down the book and re-write it, and its ridiculous! lol i try to seperate my need to write, from my want to read. -Vj

I generally read at the speed as if someone's reading it to me. (that sounds like awful grammar to me, oh well :rolleyes: ). It usually takes me a couple of weeks to get through 300 pages. Often that's because I have trouble finding the time and space to read without falling asleep! I'l love to be able to get through books faster though because at this rate I'll never get to read everything that I want to.

I've always wished I could read faster, but I'm gradually surrendering to the fact that I cannot increase my reading speed too much, or I miss out on a lot of the story. I love words, and I enjoy reading, so unless I'm purposely trying to scan something quickly (say, something for my job, heheh), I savor the sentences.

It takes me about 5-7 days to read an average-sized novel.

moltomezzo said:
...I'm gradually surrendering to the fact that I cannot increase my reading speed too much, or I miss out on a lot of the story. I love words, and I enjoy reading, so unless I'm purposely trying to scan something quickly (say, something for my job, heheh), I savor the sentences.
Reading comprehension is indeed an issue when speed reading. There are certain types of people who understand the message of the book much better when reading at a fast rate, and there are those, like me and moltomezzo, who try to read at a steady pace in order to "savor the sentences."

Back