• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ideas

Aaron S.

Right, i am thinking about getting back into writing, i used to do alot of writing, i am not looking to do anything big, just very short stories, more writing for pleasure znd entertainment really, the only problem is i am struggling to come up with ideas, i sit there with my pen and paper, and write but i fail to find anything i can stick with after the first few pages.

Does anyone have any hints or tips to help me come up with ideas?

It really depends on what you want to write, doesn't it? The trick is just to stop thinking about idea and just get on with writing. It doesn't matter what you write - write about the time you were standing at the bus stop, write about when you last went to the cinema - as long as you are writing and eventually the ideas come once you've jolted your imagination this way.

Write, Write and Write.

I'm sure you have heard this before but keep on plugging away at it and try writing in new locations. Eventually you will strike your goldmine. Best of luck

From my experience reading books, articles, blogs etc on subjects I find engaging helps me come up with new ideas

Walk into town. Watch people. Listen to what they say. Think about it. What could they REALLY mean by what they are saying? What does what you see REALLY mean? Who was there before you were? What did they do? What did they think? What happened there? IMAGINATION IS ALL!

Hi,
Good for taking decision,about writing of any type of topic, books,story or anything than you must follow:
See every where about that & discuss internally.
Questioning yourself about that.
concentrate yourself in calm environment.
thinks what's useful of that in our life or other.
thinks after implementation what will happen.

Right, i am thinking about getting back into writing, i used to do alot of writing, i am not looking to do anything big, just very short stories, more writing for pleasure znd entertainment really, the only problem is i am struggling to come up with ideas, i sit there with my pen and paper, and write but i fail to find anything i can stick with after the first few pages.

But wait--if you're writing a few pages, that means you're coming up with ideas. It's just that then you don't know where to take them. Not only that, but you want to write short stories; well, stories are only a few pages long, so it sounds like you're taking too much time getting into your idea. After a few pages, it should be done.

Look at those pages. What's the core of it? A character? A place? An incident? Clear away all the filler and wandering from those pages and start with that one kernel. What should happen to that character? What can happen in that place? What happens next in that incident?

Then, don't take a long time to play that out. A short story should be about one thing. If you come up with more things along the way that you just can't do without, great--use them for more stories.

Edit: Heh--I broke my own rule and wrote a reply before checking things like the date of the original post. That's probably because I've heard this question so many times before, I was ready to jump right in. Well, my advice stands. Maybe for somebody else who comes along.

hmmmm..i think ideas will just come to your mind if you start reading work of other writers...that really helps....try it...

Back