• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

If a person lives in one country but was born in another,

ylris611203

If a person lives in one country but was born in another, which football team should he/she support assuming that both teams got to the final?

I'd cheer good plays regardless of nationality. I've seen a friend cheering for grandkids on opposing teams. It can be done. If you're talking about placing a bet, then you might let a coin toss choose for you.

abecedarian said:
I'd cheer good plays regardless of nationality. I've seen a friend cheering for grandkids on opposing teams. It can be done. If you're talking about placing a bet, then you might let a coin toss choose for you.

If he was at the final should he/she stand with the supporters of the country he was born in or the country he is living in (and has been for many years).

chris302116 said:
If he was at the final should he/she stand with the supporters of the country he was born in or the country he is living in (and has been for many years).

Going alone, or with a group? If alone, it wouldn't really matter. If there's a group, just sit with them and cheer for whoever they're cheering for. The point is to have fun, not risk life and limb yelling for the opposite team.

Abecedarian,
The point is to have fun, not risk life and limb yelling for the opposite team.

I agree wholeheartedly, just wish more so called sports fans understood this.

As for your question Chris, for me this conflict of interest comes up with Cricket. I came to the UK when I was five and have lived here for the last 20 odd years therefore my loyalty goes to the English team. Of course I applaud and cheer good play irrespective of the team (unless of course its football and Argentina or Germany are playing England - well i'm allowed some bias:p ) but my support and loyalty will always stay with England.

I can understand why it can be a difficult choice as a persons homeland is usually closer to their heart, but the way i look at it - i think that you do have some responsiblity or duty towards the community you live in even down to something simple like uniting to support a sports team.

One thing you can say if you have friends in both camps, is "My loyalities are divided, so I'll sit with you guys, but I'll pray the best team wins!" ;)

It is a simple question but the implications are many. Sometimes in life it is not always good to sit on the fence, we have to come down on one side or the other. ;)

You can never go wrong with rooting for the underdog.

Like in this years Stanly Cup finals. Tonight decides the whole ball of wax.

Oilers or Hurricanes. Oilers were definite underdogs going into series.
Best of 7 games.
Oilers were down 3 games to 1 and have come back to tie the series at 3 games each.

Tonight the winner will be decided.

Go Oilers.....:D :D

The question, I believe, is directed to Countries. I would cheer for the Country of my Citizenship to win the game/match.

Does it really matter? Pro-athletes are WAY over paid. We should root for causes that help the hungry and the poor!

Ah, but alas--- this topic is for another thread.

I'd root for the team that shows the best overall sportsmanship.

Back