• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'm a newbi

Rogue

Hi!
I'm new here but I definitely like it.
I love reading horror and science fiction books. At the moment I'm reading mostly classics (like John Steinbeck, Oscar Wilde, Jane Austen ...) because I prefer reading english books and we don't have very much in our public library except most of the classics (I'm from Austria so my mother language is German). Unfortunatley most of the translations into German are quite bad and you sometimes find unknown words although it is my mother language.
At the moment I'm reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne and it is pretty dull.
Glad to be here! :D

Welcome to the forums Gizmo.

I also prefer to read books in their original language (when that language is english). Not because translations often are poor but because I don't want to miss out on word puns and other things that are specific to the language. Even if you understand how the pun would have been in the original language it's not the same thing.

But libraries mostly have translations so if I'm only able to get a book in libraries further away then I usually rather pick up a translation in a library that's closer. Sometimes I don't have the time and I don't want to waste money on our overpriced public transportation if I can avoid it.

Gizmo said:
Hi!
I love reading horror and science fiction books. At the moment I'm reading mostly classics (like John Steinbeck, Oscar Wilde, Jane Austen ...) because I prefer reading english books and we don't have very much in our public library except most of the classics (I'm from Austria so my mother language is German). Unfortunatley most of the translations into German are quite bad and you sometimes find unknown words although it is my mother language.
At the moment I'm reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne and it is pretty dull.
Welcome and cute avater :)

RainbowGurl said:
Welcome and cute avater :)

Thats Sandy a squirrel which lives under water in a town called Bikini Bottom. She is a character from the tv series "spongebob".

Gizmo said:
Hi!

Hi, I think we both have the same taste in books, nice to meet you.
If you wanna chat about horror and scifi im always available.lol lol
Me gustan las germanas y autriacas. :D

watercrystal said:
guess you are a young lady, right? ;) )[/SIZE]

Yes but if you feed me after midnight I'm turning into a nasty little monster!!!!

There should be something in the profil, so that we know if its a boy or a girl. Asking all the time is pretty dull!?

I agree it should ask for your gender in your profile, sometimes you have to guess if people here are male or female lol. Can be a tad bit embarassing ;)

A belated Welcome to the Forum, Gizmo.

Some here might expect me to make a remark about your tongue....and they would be right. :D I'll see your tongue and raise you a......awww nevermind. :eek:

Enjoy your stay!

RaVeN

I think we should be open about our gender. I am secretly a 80 year old woman called Brenda! While I am being really open. I want you to all know that I don't really live in the U.K. I really live in a small cornflake box in darkest Peru. For you see, I am a pygmy!

f-spongebob5.jpg

Back