• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'm new

CARY

Hi, I'm new.

I absolutely love Richard Laymon. I would love to talk to someone about his books but i would also like to know if there are any other authors out there that come close to writing like he does.
I would consider myself a huge Richard Laymon fan. I pretty much love all of novels. My favourites include: Endless Night, Quake & Island. He writes the best blood and gore books. I pretty much dont read anyone else. No-one comes close to him.

Please write to me, would love to here from anyone! I love reading, its a passion of mine, and i also like to write novels. Have written a few but never had them published!

Regards,
CARY

are there any other authors out there that come close to writing like he [Richard Laymon] does.

I pretty much dont read anyone else. No-one comes close to him.

In the horror field there's plenty of stuff out there that stands above Richard Laymon, an author who I personally found to be dull, repetitive, illogical, mysoginistic, and a bore after a few reads. The bore part was probably because I found his writing style to be so minimal and I've certainly started more of his books than I read.

Of his books that I've read (about thirteen years ago, now) I would cite Savage as the only one that was notable. The others I've read, looking at a list of his works, are The Beast House, Funland, Blood Games, In The Dark and One Rainy Night. Some of the other titles look familiar (Endless Night and Dark Mountain) but I can't recall if I've read them. I do have Island, Quake, The Cellar, and The Stake, Darkness, Tell Us all in paperback but no matter how hard I tried back then I could never get into them and, if I were to try now, I would probably throw them away after a page. I also have Fiends, his short story collection. Blood Games is definitely the worst. Most definitely.

There are Laymon threads in the horror section if you want to dig them out.

I too find Laymon to be sub-par (but everyone here knows that I'm a King girl, and people may consider him sub-par also).

I have only read Savage (barely got through it, could not form any kind of sympathy/empathy for the main character), and one about putting on a bracelet and.....Bodyrides? Something like that.

Hopefully these posts haven't put you off, and you'll find some new reading material on BAR.

Welcome!

Welcome CARY - don't worry, I'm sure you'll find someone else who likes Laymon. And maybe you'll discover some new authors, too. Have fun!

Back