• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'm rediscovering me love affair with...

Tlou

The Ghost Rider Series by Sigmund Brouwer
... It has been republished under a new publishing company and the series is now called "Sam Keaton: Legends of Laramie"

Anyhow, yes, it is a western series, and yes, it is written by a Christian author. Probably most of you here are not Christians and thus not interested in reading Christian books. But, I'm feeling like I'm not contributing to any discussions on books in this forum... so I might as well post, right?

So, I am not a fan of Western novels.. not that I despise anything Western.. I grew up in and live in the new west - not to mention I grew up in the country riding horses and fancying myself a cowpoke... probably that was why Western's didn't interest me. I read books to go elsewhere, not to stay smack dab in the same climate. Anyway, for SOME reason I was interested enough in grade eight to pick up the first of the series. A thick book with a painting of a cowboy slapped on the cover - both very big deterrents... but for some reason I did... after reading the first page, however, I was instantly hooked on the book.

The series has four books...
1. Evening Star
2. Silver Moon
3. SunDance
4. Thunder Voice

Anyhow, most of the reviews of this series that I have read were not good. They said they were poor Western writing... perhaps that is why I enjoyed the books so much - I'm not a Western-book connoisseur. In any case.. this series along with few others stood out to me from all the books I read when I was in school.. so, after many pains of tracking them down through local book stores and online, I was able to get my hands on three of the four in the series and have spent the evening reliving them!

I thought perhaps the reason I enjoyed the books so much more than any reviews said I should have was because I was a junior high student who probably didn't know good writing if it kicked me in the butt... but as I am reading these books again, I am finding them impossible to put down.

So yeah, that's just my little shout-out for Sigmund Browuer's only Western series... I loved his book, Magnus, as a teenager, as well.. I think it is called something different now too.. Wings of Dawn or something. I still haven't found myself a copy of that book to buy, yet, but I am well on my way... I'm sure it'd be easier to get my hands on a copy if I wasn't so brutally thrifty with my money. I want to buy the old copy from when it was called "Magnus".. but I don't want to pay a billion dollars for it to be shipped here from some company through Amazon. Haha.

Anyway, it is late and I probably sound like an idiot for my lack of sleep... :whistling:

...goodnight

You like it and in the end, that's all that matters.

I never got into Westerns either.

So, I am not a fan of Western novels.. not that I despise anything Western..

mmm i think im the same .but at my local used book store the western section is hugeee and alot of the books look like theyre only 200 pages.I figure they must be fast and exciting right?? theres sooo many they must be good????
right?

I stayed up reading that dang book until 2 am this morning.. I don't like reading books a little at a time.. I have to read them all at once.

Well, this novel is kind of a Western / Mystery... and its 317 pages.. so a big longer than the average youth novel, haha, you can feel a slight bit more intelligent toting it around.

I'm not a big fan of the western genre either. It's what put me off of reading The Gunslinger for years. I'll have to take a glance at those that you mentioned.
Tlou said:
I don't like reading books a little at a time
I read a chapter a day. I wish I had time to read a book in its entirety in one sitting.

Back