• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Imagery

BindingBuster

Hello everyone, I am new here. I have browsed through your forums and have really been impressed with the content. I am excited to find a group of people who love books and give honest, insightful reviews.

My first inquiry is about imagery. Can anyone recommend some books that you would consider to have superb imagery? I really enjoy authors that can bring the reader into the surroundings being described and make them feel like they are really there and enjoying/experiencing the scene being described. I am not looking for anything thing strange or risqué, just rich descriptions of the setting and the flavor of the scene being described. I hope you know what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

I would recommend an author by the name of Jhumpa Lahiri. She has two books, Interpreter Of Maladies a collection of short stories that won the Pulitzer a few years back, and Namesake her first novel that came out a year or two ago. She writes about immigrants from India and their transitions into their new cultures. Her imagery and descriptions are absolutely stunning and very lush. There are passages in her books that I can read over and over again. Very easy to get lost in! :) Hope that's what you had in mind!

Yeah, that is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks to both of you! Much appreciated!

I just love to read well-written books that use rich language. Sometimes I find the descriptions, characterizations, dialogues, etc. to be more entertaining than the actual story or idea that they are trying to convey. I love authors whose writing is so colorful and precise that you are swept away by their writing. Maybe I am alone in this, but I don’t think so…

the shipping news by annie proulx. if you have never been to newfoundland or met a newfoundlander this is the book to read. beautifully written about a place that is nicknamed the rock. it is like a country with in a country. they have a very strong, colourful heritage that has been shaped by their surroundings which can be brutal but beautiful. great read. will make you want to visit nfld.

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber will literally take you by the hand and show you around Victorian London as you observe the life of its characters through piss-stained hovels, perfume factories, busy theatres, Christmas day, and the open fields just outside the city.

Stewart said:
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber will literally take you by the hand and show you around Victorian London as you observe the life of its characters through piss-stained hovels, perfume factories, busy theatres, Christmas day, and the open fields just outside the city.
I'm waiting for my wife to finish this book and I can't wait to read it. She agreed that his descriptions are wonderfully detailed.

Seldom do I ever refer to contemporary writers so I wont start now. It may seem niave of me to say it, but I love Mark Twain <-- The man can write a chapter on a blade of grass.

I would definately recommend the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake..his descriptions are riveting, and the setting is incredible..a gothic, magnificent castle. They're very atmospheric and amazing :)

Back