• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Images in posts are annoying

ions

Since I'm in a bitching mood I figure it's a good time to point out that images in posts are rude. I didn't ask to see the pics. I go to discussion forums to read discussions not look at pics. Now I have to scroll through pics to get to discussions.

I dodn't mind them if the thread is titled as an image thread and I know what it is going to be. I do not care for images in the book discussions and especially the really big images that take most of the page.

I think that they're fine in an appropriate thread, like the new tattoo thread for example. Otherwise they're annoying, especially in the recently purchased thread, the title and author will do fine :rolleyes:

StillILearn said:
images.jpg

:D

Aside from threads that are typically expected to contain images, I love to see images in certain discussions, such as the Nabokov ones. With 150 pages of posts we need something to provide a bit of relief from all the insightful conversation that is going on. ;)

From where I am sitting, it seems that there are worse things which we humans have to tolerate in life. A little bit of humor (or a little bit of beauty) ought not to throw a happy person into a complete a loop, to my simple way of thinking.

Avatars and smilies are quite enough to make some people want to throw their laptops out the window, and typos and misspellings grate greatly on the nerves of others. Mayhap it's the nerves themselves that are needing some tender tending in these cases?

I'm just sayin'.

waterfall.jpg

theoptimist said:
I think that they're fine in an appropriate thread, like the new tattoo thread for example. Otherwise they're annoying, especially in the recently purchased thread, the title and author will do fine :rolleyes:

I agree :)

Ions,

Go to your User CP

On the Edit options link scroll down and you will see the following options:

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in code) [/quote]

Untick the box next to[B] Show Images [/B]and that should prevent the images from showing (I think it will just add them as a hyperlink instead). Don't forget to save the changes.

HTH :)

steffee said:
:D

Aside from threads that are typically expected to contain images, I love to see images in certain discussions, such as the Nabokov ones. With 150 pages of posts we need something to provide a bit of relief from all the insightful conversation that is going on. ;)
And besides, I've just discovered how to add a picture! /evil grin/ :eek: :D

I realize that it is all in jest but I do find it a little rude that you have all decided to mock another member's request in such a way. It saddens me that there is so little respect of others' feelings. :(

I'm all for a little fun but it seems lately that many forum member's are trashing each other in many of the threads and not showing a lot of respect to each other and isn't that why we come here, to discuss things with each other? I like just about everyone hear and wish that we could all just get along a tad bit better.

Oh Ronny! I suppose it does look like that, but I assure you nothing nasty or disrespectful was meant. I know I got carried away with the hurricane pics, and simply forgot which thread I was posting in, and well, it was not thoughtful. So, I'm sorry about that part.
But I do love my new toy. :eek:

IONS Are you still in a crabby (I'll paraphrase here ;) ) mood? I hope not. Come out and play. Come on.....:)

Whoops, me too. I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful, got so caught up in the hurricane pictures,forgot what we were supposed to be talking about. But as Ice pointed out, it is possible to select that pictures not be shown. :eek:

When we had dial-up, pictures were a pain for me too, since they take longer to load. I can see why some might not like them clogging the threads. As for book covers, I'd rather not have them unless they're in a thread specifically for them. I prefer a link instead. That's just my preference though.

Personally I'm enjoying the pictures. I'd probably not like them if I still had dial-up but thankfully that's not the case. :D And as Poppy said you can opt out of pics.:rolleyes:

BTW the National Geo. site was great! Thaks for the tip pontalba

This thread has been split and the images moved here. This is one of our technical help sections so please be mindful that people may be searching for solutions to problems and may not want to wade through pages of images (especially if they are on dial-up - I am on broadband and it still took a little while to load).

Many thanks.

Ronny said:
I realize that it is all in jest but I do find it a little rude that you have all decided to mock another member's request in such a way. It saddens me that there is so little respect of others' feelings. :(

I'm all for a little fun but it seems lately that many forum member's are trashing each other in many of the threads and not showing a lot of respect to each other and isn't that why we come here, to discuss things with each other? I like just about everyone hear and wish that we could all just get along a tad bit better.
Ronny,
I also offer my deepest and sincerest apologies to any here to whom I have been rude, or seemed to mock or to trash, and also for saddening you yourself with my post.
Sincerely,
Peder

I am one of those poor unfortunates who has dial-up, and there is no doubt that it sorely tries a person's patience.

Ronny, I admit to ribbing ions a little bit here, but is this what is meant by "trashing' somebody? I haven't read any personal attacks on ion's character or anything. If I were to make a post flat out stating that I hate and abhor the color blue, I'd almost expect to be engulfed in every shade of blue by friends and wiseacres alike. I'd even think it was funny.

Having said that, I now see that all this rollicking about with pictures appears mean-spirited to you, Ronny, and it probably seems that way to ions too. Your post was enough to bring me to my senses.

Sorry, ions. I do understand that you feel that the images detract from the aura around here. I hope you've taken Ice's advice and selected the 'opt out of images' option. My only excuse is that sometimes my sense of humor amuses me more than it does anybody else, and this appears to be one of those times. This was one of my few posterly interactions with you and I hope you won't hold it against me.

I'm hereby cutting it out with the images and exiting left.. In this thread, anyway.

drmjwdvm said:
Personally I'm enjoying the pictures. I'd probably not like them if I still had dial-up but thankfully that's not the case. :D And as Poppy said you can opt out of pics.:rolleyes:

BTW the National Geo. site was great! Thaks for the tip pontalba
Glad you liked it. :cool: You are more than welcome. :)

Back