• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

In Bruges

Trick

I have wore this movie out! I can't get enough of Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, & Brendan Gleeson's performances. As many times as I have watched it I still crack up.

Ken: We shall strike a balance between culture and fun.
Ray: Somehow I believe, Ken, that the balance shall tip in the favor of culture, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw opposite...a dwarf.

I haven't seen this one as of yet, mostly because Ralph Fiennes is in it, I can't stand him, but I like Colin Farrell so I dunno.

I love this movie. The humor is character driven, and I think that's rare in black comedies (or whatever category this movie belongs in).

The two most amusing hit men to hit the screens since Jules and Vincent talked foot massages comes in the form of a little dark comedy titled, In Bruges. Ray, played by Colin Ferrel interprets the town Bruges, in which they're hiding out, as in what he says is "a shithole." Ken is quite the opposite however, as he embarks on the beautiful sights in this little Belgium town. While hiding out we meet a lovely drug dealing European chick, played warmly by Clemence Poesy and a somewhat racist midget who pops up time and time again. Ralph Fiennes is hilarious as Harry, Ken and Ray's frustrating boss.

The script written by Martin McDonagh is the real shining star in In Bruges. Most of this film is carried by witty and intelligent writing, something I prefer to see more often in modern cinema. Collin Ferrel and Brenden Gleeson give career bests here while creating wonderful comedic chemistry with every "lollipop man" and "Bruges is a shithole" discussion that come our way. The film tends to get really dark and serious towards the final quarter, but not in a such a case that can be called "uneven" or "forced." It's up for best screenplay at the academy awards this year, and it should win, though the academy this year seems to be run by silly monkeys. Redemption, morality, and romance is all explored in what turned out to be one of the hit surprises of 2008.

A-

Back