• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Inception

753C

I saw inception this weekend. My overall opinion was that it was an exceptional film. From the idea of the story, to the pacing, acting performances, mood, cinematography, etc, etc, it was pretty mind blowing. Without giving anything away, I think the movie did stray into the dangerous area of making the audience process too much too fast in a few places. Other than that, and maybe the climactic "moment" of the movie being stretched out just a wee bit too long, it was definitely head and shoulders above most of the movies I've seen in the last few years.
Love to hear other's thoughts on it.
:star4:

Scott, we too saw Inception the other day, and it is exactly as you say. Awesome in every respect of movie making, except for being able to follow details of the plot. The writers have taken a novel idea and carried it to its absolute outer limits, but it is going to take a second seeing for us to try to sort out and keep track of plot details. On the other hand, we'll get to enjoy the incredible alpine scenery a second time too. So that will be a good thing.

It definitely rates a second viewing, for a lot of reasons. I knew it was going to be something of a mind-bender so I made a conscious effort to pay close attention to every detail, still, I missed a few things and got lost in all of the rules of dreams, time, multiple realities, limbo, etc.
I guess Christopher Nolan and his wife spent ten years on this project so I am sure they thought of everything. When it is available on DVD I will get it and give it a real thorough watch. Can't afford to see it in the theater again! What a racket!

I think I was able to keep the layers pretty well separated, the only problem I had, well mostly, was
wondering if the father's scene towards the end, in the vault was in fact the true "inception point". If so it was a great combination of the son's thoughts and the hints that had been given in previous layers of dreams.
I really hate spoiler tags, but in this case I think they're warranted.

We saw it Friday night, I suddenly noticed that it was playing at a theatre on our side of the lake,and we wouldn't have to travel down to New Orleans to see it. We'll see it again, maybe this evening, or during the week.
Senior discounts are one of the only perks of being "senior". ;)

Oh, 753C, I wasn't aware that they'd been working on it for 10 years....Nolan made Memento 10 years ago, and has had, I think, 7 films in-between.

The story of the brothers both doing Memento in their own fashion was fascinating, have you read it?

SFG, there was a good reason for lingering on that last scene.....
they concentrated on the spinning top...we don't know for sure if he was actually still in a dream, remember how he recognized the place and did a double take? I strongly suspect that his wife told him the truth in the dream, that he was not in a reality at all, ever.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I was definitley, pleasantly surprised by how "smart" the film was - meaning that Mr. Nolan didn't seem to take the easy way out of a lot of the situations the plot engendered. (For instance, how to administer the "kick" in zero gravity.)
But, I also was struck by the possibility that the movie may have been cathartic for Mr. Nolan. Maybe, in some deep recess of his brain, he regrets having planted the seed of the "Joker" in Heath Ledger's head. Not that he should, mind you, but it makes for interesting speculation.

I liked it a lot, my wife less. She said it dragged along too much.

I thought it good, I was glued to the screen and forgot all about my wife sitting besides me. (Could that be the reason she did not like it?)

Saw it a second time and understood even more of it, especially the shifting levels and their motivations. Highly recommended for fans of the complicated.

I saw this movie a few months ago, and fell in love. Nolan was able to keep the plot moving throughout, while keeping complicated. THe action was unique, with a matrix vibe. The ideas explored here were worth thinking about. Inception gives us an oppurtunity to think about what we believe about reality, the mind, and how we know what is true.

I bought this for my Dad for Xmas so will get to watch it then (is that bad of me!)

Awesome !!Inception really rocks. Its concept , its storyline up is at its best. Less movies are capable to compete with it.....:star5: full marks to inception.

Finally saw it on the flight to Toronto and I really enjoyed it.

On the way back to Frankfurt I watched Shutter Island. Both movies were most excellent mind fucks.

Finally saw it on the flight to Toronto and I really enjoyed it.

On the way back to Frankfurt I watched Shutter Island. Both movies were most excellent mind fucks.

You and I must have very different definitions for what constitutes an excellent mind ****. They were both so-so.

You and I must have very different definitions for what constitutes an excellent mind ****. They were both so-so.

Possibly. Both left me thinking "what the hell did I just watch?" and that doesn't happen much these days.

Back