• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

inspire a young reader

What about the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer? Maybe Harry Potter, but I don't know if they would be his cup of tea. Robert Westall is also a good children's author. :)

VTChEwbecca said:
One of Terry Pratchett's YA novels might also be good.

Definately agree with this one and was going to suggest it but I thought I'd check if anyone else had first. Terry Pratchett is a brilliant author and my partner loves his books... he's rather cynical so it'll probably work! Other than that probably just looking for similar things to this really...

I'd recomend Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo. It's a bit of fantasy set in modern day America, and it's a little cynical because his grandma and aunts are super-evil and they try to kill his uncle off, and they kidnap/kill his dad (not sure which yet). It's really good.

When I was ten I read and reread all of the "Narnia Chronicles" by C.S.Lewis, couldn't put them down. Knocks spots off Harry Potter I reckon.

Roses of Doom by S.P. Wish

You could also try making him read mangas like Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto since these have a lot of action and are created to appeal to young boys. The age rating is 13+ though

Bleach by Kubo Tite is also good for 15+ age groups. You could always try Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine. These are a craze among boys.

My son, 10 year old, recently begged me to get The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. Seems to be a hit with his school friends. My local library has it, and I reserved it but I'm number 300 something in line. So I bought it for him, and he gobbled it up several times.

Others books by Rick Riordan are also good.
And I always recommend Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud for kids and adults. It has 4 books in the series now.

Hardy Boys casefiles would be okay.
Some might be slightly dated by now but they're better than the new ones being put out.
Harry Potter series is fun, but you have to like fantasy books.
If he likes video games, he might like Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Veld. It's about a girl who gets trapped in a video game. Oh, and there was a Tom Clancy's Net Force series put out a while ago that might appeal to him. Again, kids entering virtual worlds; this time to fight crime.

Children and Reading

:cool:I would say get him a comic book, since kids that are younger then teens enjoy those things, especially if they are into video games, they will love comic books. They are a great read.:cool:

in a lot of cases one "gets" into reading b/c first others read to them...it might be a bit late to start that process with your cousin.

I liked Shipbreaker but it's got some strong language I'm not sure is appropriate for a 10 year old.

I always liked the Hardy Boys, but there kind of dated at this point. I know the publisher keeps trying to revitalize them, but the whole first person switch is kinda lousy. Old school Hardy Boys might be worth a shot.
Chronicles of Narnia are easy reads
there are YA adaptations of Star Wars books. Ohhh, Jedi Apprentice series was excellent. Definitely a boy-friendly book.
(my own book, Ashlynn's Dreams, is completely kid safe - age 10 is sort of the youngest I can see reading it though. It's about a kid with genetic alterations. I don't know your cousin's feelings on sci-fi.)

If your cousin likes video games you may want to try to get him into reading some of the books based on a game he likes. Um, you may need to screen some of the books though. A lot of the really popular series are rated M.

my cousin is 10 and just got a C in reading. he's a smart boy, he can read fairly quickly but he just can't "get into" a book. poor guy. I don't think there are many children's books made for guys. He's into video games, action type stuff, and i believe he is developing a very very cynical sense of humor, is there any of that for a younger reader?

...heh i tried to read to him cat's cradle but it didn't work out. :rolleyes:

Maybe to start with short stories, or short fairytales which have exciting content full of adventures and actions. I think it can involve, though you can try :)

kseniyamalakhova.blogspot.com/

my cousin is 10 and just got a C in reading. he's a smart boy, he can read fairly quickly but he just can't "get into" a book. poor guy. I don't think there are many children's books made for guys. He's into video games, action type stuff, and i believe he is developing a very very cynical sense of humor, is there any of that for a younger reader?

...heh i tried to read to him cat's cradle but it didn't work out. :rolleyes:

This is quite normal with every kid. Go with a book that has more into visualization because children love reading books that have pictures, images. This might help you. Recently I gifted a book to my nephew, he is 11 yrs old and he really liked the book "A Sparrow's Sad Song" by Caroline de Chavigny. You can give a try.

It can be difficult to get his mind in a mode to read and sometimes starting with a novel is a bit much. I like to start my lower level readers with magazines. He might like something like Game Informer. It is a good place to start to jump-start him into reading for pleasure. There is also a series of Halo books based on the video game that are very popular and nicely written. Good Luck!

Back