• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

inspire a young reader

words

my cousin is 10 and just got a C in reading. he's a smart boy, he can read fairly quickly but he just can't "get into" a book. poor guy. I don't think there are many children's books made for guys. He's into video games, action type stuff, and i believe he is developing a very very cynical sense of humor, is there any of that for a younger reader?

...heh i tried to read to him cat's cradle but it didn't work out. :rolleyes:

words said:
my cousin is 10 and just got a C in reading. he's a smart boy, he can read fairly quickly but he just can't "get into" a book. poor guy. I don't think there are many children's books made for guys. He's into video games, action type stuff, and i believe he is developing a very very cynical sense of humor, is there any of that for a younger reader?

...heh i tried to read to him cat's cradle but it didn't work out. :rolleyes:

why dont you try to get books based on his favorite comics or videogames
there are a couple of books based on x-men, buffy, and some on resident evil. im sure i have seen others but cant remember now, maybe he is a little to young to have the frenzy for x-files. just check the fantasy section of your library

i'll try. heh i wish that the schools wouldn't limit a students reading to a list (AR list). personally i think the AR program is killing children's passion for reading. they wont read for reading great stories... they'll read for pizza parties and those prizes. sigh i hated those AR books in elementary school.

Maybe these titles?...
Hatchet - Gary Paulson
Lost in Cyberspace - Richard Peck
I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X - Bruce Coville
Dogs Don't Tell Jokes - Louis Sachar
Dave at Night - Gail Carson Levine
The Trolls - Polly Horvath
The Ear, The Eye and The Arm - Nancy Farmer

My reply would be much like mr michel's. Look for something that fit's his personality.

When my daughter was young she had to do a book report and wasn't into reading. I gave her a (thin) Dean Koontz book to look at and she was hooked.

RaVeN

Ice said:
I always thought The Hardy Boys were an excellent choice :)

My older brother used to have a lot of THB and Tom Swift on his shelf. I think he was just showing off though. :rolleyes:

RaVeN

I used to love the Hardy Boys and we've just got round to unpacking Phil's collection which made me think of them :)

Sherlock Holmes? It might appeal to his cynical side...I started reading these at about the age that I became a cynic.

One of Terry Pratchett's YA novels might also be good.

Definitely find something that appeals to his interest, or he'll never find the love of reading.

VTChEwbecca said:
Definitely find something that appeals to his interest, or he'll never find the love of reading.

gosh your right. i can't imagine growing up not reading. I never was a childrens book fan as a kid. (my school had a horrible library) instead I jumped into hard reads and had to look up everyother word. hehe.

I'll tempt the boy with some of those suggestions. thanky thanky

you can also check for the novels on which some of his favorite movies are based, i started reading as a teenager with jurasic park

I don't know if this book is recommended yet, but I really could not be bothered to read all the replies (sorry), but I'd totally recommend The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It's remarkably funny and well written in a childish way. As good for adults as children. I loved it.

how about the hobbit, my guess its that the kid already saw and love the lotr movies, and besides it was originaly published as a children book

Wouldn't The Hobbit be a bit too complicated? It has quite big words, and some of the descriptions are hard to understand. But I don't know the kid, he may be some kind of supernatural. 8)

dont know how it is in english, i readed it in spanish, but it really was published as a children book, in fact in amazon its clasified as 9-12 years old reading level

Let's see, my sister is 8 years younger than me, so in 2001 when the first LotR movie came out she would have been 8 or 9, and she read all three LotR books and the Hobbit in about 3 weeks. And surprisingly, she understood it all and enjoyed it as much as I did when I read it. Maybe your cousin will like them too.

mr_michel said:
dont know how it is in english, i readed it in spanish, but it really was published as a children book, in fact in amazon its clasified as 9-12 years old reading level

I read my first ( adult ) SF novel when I was 9 and the hobbit when I was around 11 :)

I think Hobbit should be fine to read at that age.

Back