• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Interactive fiction

scribeswindow

Ok, I'm actually being a little misleading with this thread title. I'm a massive Adventure gamer, and some of the games I play can be described as interactive fiction. The game normally begins with some kind of animated sequence that opens up the narrative and introduces the protagonist and some elements. Once this finishes, the protagonist is within a screen shot and you then move your cursor about to reveal items or people relevant to the story. Basically it's a 'point-and-click' scenario that then propels the narrative along.

My favourite type of games are in the third person and have lots of characters along the way that you can converse with. These games have an ending, so once finished that's usually it, just like a book. Of course like any games - or books - these genres can blend so you also get lots of hybrids. But I mostly look out for these more classic characteristics, although I have played games that have included some action.

In recent years, more and more fiction titles have been made into adventure games. There are quite a few Agatha Christie titles, as well as Sherlock Holmes and also Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys. Mysteries work well in these games, as the protagonist needs to find clues to get towards the end.

Additionally, like books, I often have a small pile of games waiting to be played, just as I have a pile of books waiting to be read. Personally I get the same kind of contented and excited feeling looking at these games just waiting to be played, as I do with my book pile. But alas, just like my reading having slowed down due to small children, so too has my game playing....... :)

Kind of, an example is the detective from the game Still Life, where she goes to process a crime scene and uses the clues found to keep the story going. You also get to know about her as a character and she talks to other colleagues, suspects etc. until you solve the crime at the end.

It's a very entertaining type of video games (us fans call it Adventure games),maybe you'd like to check this link Adventure Gamers
I played Still Life a long time ago and it's one of my favourites.Fahrenheit is one of the best by Atari and Black Mirror to me is a classic,I'm actually in the middle of Black Mirror 2 and I recommend it,Syberia 1 and 2 have a great storyline ..I wouldn't call these games literature but they could be as entertaining :)

Hi Dima, I've been on the Adventure Gamers forum for many years now, and when finding new games to play I actually make sure there's a review on their site before purchasing. I've also played Black Mirror, but not the second one. How are you finding it so far? I have Syberia one and two at home, and loved the graphics in that one. Haven't played Fahrenheit though. I posted about this on my blog, and I thought I might add a list of what I've played so far - but that required putting on my thinking cap for too long so I've shelved it for the moment.

When I tell people that it's 'interactive fiction' rather than adventure games I've found most people are more willing to try it.

Back