• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

International marketing

Starchaser3000

How can a recently self published author like me begin the process of having my book translated into different languages like Spanish, German, Japanese, to reach a broader audience that does not read or comprehend English? Or at least what is the financial criteria for this to be achieved?

OK. And can that translator provide the press that would put my printed work in book stores in like say....Sweden? How much does all that cost? Or can someone just purchase copyrights to have it translated that way?

Probably not. For that, you'd either need a publisher, or arrange to have it printed and distributed yourself, like you did with the English edition. All part and parcel of what it means to be self-published.

Right.

Translator first. Going price like what 20 cents a page?. I agree with you beer good. But I think I must do more research on what is popular in regards to fiction/fantasy with violence and other mature themes in countries like yours. Unless you can give me insightful information on it already? Just trying to gather info on it now so I can invest with the money later.

I did a translating course several years ago. Prices are usually per word, not page, and it depends on how good your translator is at their job. So starts at 15 cents and goes up to 30. A word, that is.

But I think I must do more research on what is popular in regards to fiction/fantasy with violence and other mature themes in countries like yours. Unless you can give me insightful information on it already?

I can't tell you about countries "like mine", but I can tell you that most of the heavy SF/Fantasy readers in Sweden (and that's hardly a big market) read in English, partly because there's a long history of genre literature getting very badly translated if it gets translated at all.

Oh no, no, no. Much, much more. If you want it done anywhere approaching near to reasonable levels of competency anyway.

LOL!! I meant per WORD. Sorry about that. Anyway, thanks for the helpful info to all of you. Anyone else that can provide me with more references is appreciated.

I've got a piece published and while it is written in "American" English. It's been popular in the .co.uk and .de domains. Unfortunately .es, .it, and .fr are unseen with purchases. I'm thinking of hiring a translator to try to get the works written in another language.

If you've got a Facebook, try contacting Sevastian Winters; he recently had one of his works translated, if I'm not mistaken. Good guy. Real smart.

Back