• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Internet words hurt

RainbowGurl

As most of you know I used to be an au pair and I went to Canada. Today I read something about me from this ex coworker who I had a bad experience with. What she put in her internet profile hurt me quite a bit. She bsically said I was a horrid experience as her au pair and I was not intrested in looking after children and only intrested in being with a man.
It shows she did not listen to anything I said to her when I had a talk with her as to why I find it difficult to look after her 3 children. Her little bratty 3 year old kid with tantrums was the reason I left. And its funny how she is still looking for an au pair after almost a year! I bet alot of her au pairs come then they leave because of her bratty 3 year old who walks over her because she doesnt punish her 3 kids!
Was this really fair of her to spread on this site that I was a horrid experience so others can see as to not emply me? I have today quit this website for looking to be an au pair. I'm just living in the here and now and see where my life goes from now on.
I've had my moan and my cry for the day :(

RainbowGurl said:
As most of you know I used to be an au pair and I went to Canada. Today I read something about me from this ex coworker who I had a bad experience with. What she put in her internet profile hurt me quite a bit. She bsically said I was a horrid experience as her au pair and I was not intrested in looking after children and only intrested in being with a man. :(

I would inform them in writing that you have seen thier statement. Making such a personal statement, in my opinion, is unfair. Fair enough if they didn't agree with your handling of the children but to make such a personal statement and to then broadcast it in such a public fashion is totally out of order. Besides which, your personal life is your own business.

It seems quite obvious that what the woman said was/is true. You quit the job because you weren't interested in looking after a kid who was a little difficult. What kind of commitment is that? Pff...

Job fulfillment shouldn't be based on the ease with which it can be completed. Look at me, I work at McDonalds...

When I was working for her she always kept saying about her first au pair who worked with her for 6 months before me to me. It was basically "Oh, our first au pair did this, our first au pair did that..." I was like, well I'm sorry I can't be as good as her when I don't know much of the routeen and the children very well... I think she expected me to know the children as soon as I stepped foot into the house or something. I'm supposed to understand what a 1 and 3 year old who cant even talk say to me :confused: Like bobbyburns said, its in the pst now, I'm not going to start anything which may cause trouble. I have left the site she is on so I wont ever see what she puts anymore. But it does make me wonder what she tells other au pairs or her friends about me :(

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
It seems quite obvious that what the woman said was/is true. You quit the job because you weren't interested in looking after a kid who was a little difficult. What kind of commitment is that? Pff...

Job fulfillment shouldn't be based on the ease with which it can be completed. Look at me, I work at McDonalds...
It was kind of difficult to control the kid. He went into his mums bed room screaming and crying because he didn't want to go out when I had to take the 6 year old to school. He wouldnt listen to me so I left him in the room as I couldnt get to him as he had locked the door. It was at least 3 hours before he came out (litrally) then whenever I was near him doing the housework he would scream, run away and slam the door and lock it. So there was nothing I could do to control him. It was more difficult as the woman did not want me to punish the children as she did not beleive in punishment. He was spoilt too which didn't help as he probably thought he could walk over me like he does with his mum.
I guess its true that I was a horrid experience for her. I guess I could say her 3 year old was a horrid experience for me.

You dont' want to go there, Rainbowgurl. No matter how tough it gets...

In 1997, British au pair Louise Woodward was found guilty of second-degree murder in the death 8-month-old Matthew Eappen in Massachusetts. A judge later reduced the charge to involuntary manslaughter, sentenced the nanny, then 19, to time served and sent her home to England.

It’s hard to be objective with only side of the story, RainbowGurl. I think some parents are slow to realize just how difficult their kids can be. My own two boys were very difficult when they were young because they’re both ADHD. We only had two at the time, but it often seemed like five or six. It was difficult for us so I can only imagine how difficult it might have been for someone from outside the family.

Rainbowgirl take no notice! Put it behind you and get on with your life! I wish you all the luck in the world! Ruby :)

Rainbowgurl, I'm sorry she said hurtful things to you. It can be hard dealing with parents who think their children can do absolutely nothing wrong, not to mention dealing with those children. She's likely to be feeling frustrated because she can't find/keep a nanny, and she's taking it out on a handy target. You can't help what she says about you to other people, so just don't bother worrying about it. Just move on and look forward to a brighter future. Here's a bright thought, it may be getting around the au pair world that she has little hellions, too.

Mari said:
Did she mention your name? Sue her.
Oh, yeah, that would be something like libel or defamation, then wouldn't it? But, generally speaking, sueing your (former) employer isn't a really good idea, since it looks really bad from your future employers' points of view.

Mari said:
Did she mention your name? Sue her.

The UK is gradually turning into the same litigious society as you have but we're not quite there yet thank you very much.

All the same it could be worth a punt.

Back