• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Introducing me

Snow

Hey.

I'm new. Skimmed through the forum and liked what i saw. I don't read nearly as much as I want to and used to, simply because my little baby girl, all shiny and new, demands most of my time and attention these days. Maybe being here can motivate and inspire me. I miss the smell of new books and hot chocolate.

a.

Hello Snow :)

I love getting new books but new baby smell is great too. When my son was a babe I loved that soft, warm smell he had, he doesn't smell bad now but you know at 9 he doesn't like me to sniff him anymore.

Gem & Sofia.. thank you so much.

Ronny.. I understand completely. I'm soaking as much in as possible these days, knowing it'll soon be over..

mehastings.. Lucie is almost 3.5 months now.. seems like yesterday that we brought her home.

Thanks guys..

Uhm, I hate to say it but I'm afraid I have a question right away and no idea where to post it, really. I saw that Sueskind's 'The Perfume' was voted BOTM for December and discussion was supposed to start on the 1st, right? Well.. first of all I'd love to know whether people need to 'sign up' for participating in the BOTM discussions and if so, where. Also, I was trying to find the discussion thread, but couldn't. Has it not been started yet or is it hidden somewhere? :eek:

I'd really like to get on board; I've read the book a couple of times in German, never in English, and I absolutely adore it. I actually had to go change my profile (Top3 books) after I'd been reminded of it in oe of the threads here..

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

a.

I saw that Sueskind's 'The Perfume' was voted BOTM for December and discussion was supposed to start on the 1st, right? Well.. first of all I'd love to know whether people need to 'sign up' for participating in the BOTM discussions and if so, where.

Bloody mods, never on top of things. Rather than start a new thread on Perfume, I've moved a previous discussion into the Book of the Month forum. You can find it here.

I suppose it being book of the month comes at a rather good time, since the film is due out shortly too.

Hi Snow and welcome. There's just nothing like eau d'new baby is there? In answer to your question, I don't think the discussion has started yet. The search feature allows you to put the title in and see if there are any related posts. I haven't even had time to do a quick looksee on Perfume. Just curious, what sidea town you on down there? I just love that city.

Edit: there ya go, mods in action and typing fast

Bloody mods, never on top of things. Rather than start a new thread on Perfume, I've moved a previous discussion into the Book of the Month forum. You can find it here.

I suppose it being book of the month comes at a rather good time, since the film is due out shortly too.

Thanks so much Stewart, is it too late for me to 'sign up' for it or is it pretty much open to whoever wants to join?

Flor, we're out west, suburban paradise so to say. Little nest called Hiram, but still considered Metro ATL. :)

Well I don't know Hiram, but is that close to Kennesaw? I'm thinking there used to be an ordinance there which mandated gun ownership. :eek: I know the ordinance was real, I just can't remember the burb.

Can you give us a brief overview of Perfume? It's very interesting that you've read it twice in German. That's just wonderful!

Snow, my daughter is eight and a half months now, and it really does seem to rocket by! Last night after her bath we looked at a picture of her after her first bath. The towel that swallowed her in late March barely wrapped around her last night!

Bloody mods, never on top of things....

Good god, I totally forgot. Damn holidays!!!

Hello, Snow, and welcome to our book-obsessed forums! I'm sure sacrificing the time you could be reading to take care of your bundle of joy is worth it, right? ;)

Well I don't know Hiram, but is that close to Kennesaw? I'm thinking there used to be an ordinance there which mandated gun ownership. :eek: I know the ordinance was real, I just can't remember the burb.

Haha, interesting story. Here some detail:

In April 1982, Kennesaw (Kennesaw, Georgia) government officials responded to the Morton Grove ban by passing an ordinance "to provide for the civil defense of the City of Kennesaw, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the City and its inhabitants." The ordinance states that "Every head of household residing in the City Limits of the City of Kennesaw is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefor," except criminals, persons with moral or religious objections, and those mentally or physically incapacitated. (Code of Ordinances, Chapter 8: Civil Defense and Disaster Relief, Section 8-10, enacted March 15, 1982.)

Gun ownership rates were not expected to change after the ordinance; most households were presumed to have firearms. Instead, it was expected that publicity surrounding the ordinance would warn criminals that residents were capable of protecting themselves and their community and would do so with the government`s blessing. Between 1981-1985 violent crimes in Kennesaw dropped 71%; burglaries dropped 65%. Between 1981-1993, Kennesaw`s population doubled, but burglaries dropped 16%.

Source

Kennesaw is pretty close, yes. And - just to avoid any speculations - I would not have followed such an ordinance. :p

Can you give us a brief overview of Perfume? It's very interesting that you've read it twice in German. That's just wonderful!

I'm afraid I would spoil too much to be honest - I feel every little detail is so important to the story, I'd hate to give away too much. I absolutely love the book even tho, for my taste, the ending is a little over the top (you'll see what I mean..). But when it comes to, what I call, 3-dimensional story telling, a story-telling that evokes all senses and completely captivates the reader's attention, I acn tell you this much" Sueskind will not disappoint you. ;)

Back