• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Introducing myself

Bird54

I have been reading the forums for the past couple weeks now so I thought I would join. I do a lot of reading - almost everything. I live in Oklahoma City, but I am originally from Glen Burnie, Maryland.

I have about 300 to 400 books, and they were just the ones I decided to keep. Right now, I am really reading mysteries. I seem to go through spurts of reading different types of books.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm here.

Hey Bird, what mysteries are you reading? Love the genre, but it's hard to find consistently good ones that don't just take a flying leap off a cliff at the end.

This year I've read and liked several Georges Simenon Maigret books, a couple by Eric Ambler (much underrated, I think). I'm a huge LeCarre fan, so read The Constant Gardener, which is okay though not near his best. Right now I'm reading Brian Moore, The Statement.

Have to say, I think PD James and the like are very often pitifully formulaic and the wrap-up is typically completely unbelievable, with zillions of coincidences and illogical plot twists, though I will read them if one is around. I'm not really into gore, so I tend to avoid serial killer stories and true crime.

Novella

Bird54 said:
I have about 300 to 400 books, and they were just the ones I decided to keep.....

Curious about what are those books that worthy of your keeping. :) must be very very good books.

Welcome, Bird. Enjoy your stay! :)

A lot of them are archealogical books that I've collected through the years. Then I have a lot of my favorite authors - C.S. Lewis, Tony Hillerman,Set of Harry Potter books, almost all of Shakespear's plays, some classics.

Speaking of Tony Hillerman. I buy his mysteries. Anyone else read him?

books, books, books, books.....LUV THEM

you outdo me and my books....no you don't I forgot ......I have Louie LaMour in paperback and hardback, Elmer Kelton in paperback, cookbooks grand mammy....most have 200 of them alone, I love children's books, poetry by James W. Riley, a little of thisss a little of that.....mysteries, lots of Taylor Caldwell, Catherine Cookson, 8 or ten different Bibles ...different translations and commentaries, I have some books I have had for 15 years that are just old favorites. It is funny but when I go back to read some of the old books I find how much my tastes have changed......I just bought some frank yerby and frank slaughter for memory sake but I will probably have a look at them.
And C. S. Lewis......that is a man I wish I had been able to meet and share interests.

Books take me way out away to places I could never go.

In the fourth grade my teacher told me I couldn't read! My little mind said...the heck you say....of course she meant I didn't retain and perhaps didn't comprehend.....but I thought she meant recognize the words on the paper. Back then...dark ages.....the only library was down town on the bluff of the mississippi river in memphis tennessee......I lived in the surburbs.....soooooo, I got on the bus and rode downtown and visited the library and checked out books then walked down the docks to meet my Dad and ride home with him.

I remember the first books I checked out....LEIF THE LUCKY and ERIC THE RED.......and I am female.......I liked adventure.

From that time forth I became a consumer of books....voracious appetite for reading.....still love it. I didn't say, but I am 66 so you know between 10 and 66 I have read a book or two. How about Ray Bradbury....Fareheit 450 and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES.....I didn't say I can spell....but I can sound words out..... :D

Bird54 said:
I have been reading the forums for the past couple weeks now so I thought I would join. I do a lot of reading - almost everything. I live in Oklahoma City, but I am originally from Glen Burnie, Maryland.

I have about 300 to 400 books, and they were just the ones I decided to keep. Right now, I am really reading mysteries. I seem to go through spurts of reading different types of books.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm here.
Welcome :)

Back