• Welcome to BookAndReader!

    We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

    Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

INXS-- New CD

Isabell

Active Member
I can hardly wait until the new CD "Switch" Comes out. I cannot remember the last time I actually cared about music coming out. I've loved INXS since the early 80's and have all the music. I was devestated when Michael Hutchence died.
I didn't watch the whole Rock Star- INXS on the television, only the last episode. For what I saw, I thought J.D. Fortune did a fabulous job and has kept the INXS style. His voice is eerily the same as Michael's was.

Anyway, for anyone that hasn't heard the new hit they have playing on the radio, here it is.

Pretty Vegas

Aussies make GREAT Music! OY OY OY! (and the Canadian too! hehe)
 

SFG75

Well-Known Member
Isabell said:
I can hardly wait until the new CD "Switch" Comes out. I cannot remember the last time I actually cared about music coming out. I've loved INXS since the early 80's and have all the music. I was devestated when Michael Hutchence died.
I didn't watch the whole Rock Star- INXS on the television, only the last episode. For what I saw, I thought J.D. Fortune did a fabulous job and has kept the INXS style. His voice is eerily the same as Michael's was.

Anyway, for anyone that hasn't heard the new hit they have playing on the radio, here it is.

Pretty Vegas

Aussies make GREAT Music! OY OY OY! (and the Canadian too! hehe)

Watching Jordis sing a dreary Nirvana song was just marvelous, a religious experience almost. It will definitely be interesting to see whether or not the fans accept the new guy and if they can get back on top again. Hopefully he won't be like Gary Charone who was soundly rejected by Van Halen fans.
 

Halo

New Member
INXS were great - I too was devastated when Hutchence died. :( I haven't heard any of the new singers, (I believe they've had more than one?), but I'm not altogether sure whether they should carry on as "INXS" with a new singer - Hutchence was such a major force in the group.
 

Isabell

Active Member
Halo said:
INXS were great - I too was devastated when Hutchence died. :( I haven't heard any of the new singers, (I believe they've had more than one?), but I'm not altogether sure whether they should carry on as "INXS" with a new singer - Hutchence was such a major force in the group.
Ah, but if you give the new guy J.D. a listen, you'll hear that he's similar to Hutchence's singing style
 

Kookamoor

New Member
I'm not a fan of Pretty Vegas at all. It sounds dreary to me. That being said I do hope the band has success (ahem... see my location above?). Given that Fortune is a song-writer I think that's a plus. I think the second album will be the telling factor after the hype from this reality-television-endorsed album dies down.

In case you're not aware, RockStar INXS was a reality show sort of in the American Idol style where they auditioned a bunch of people internationally to try out for the band. I watched the last 7 or so episodes, so I don't know how they structured the audition process and how 'international' it was. All the finalists but 2 were American, I think. The other 2 were Australian and Canadian, respectively. Each episode the finalists would sing a rock song (2 rock songs once they cut down the finalists a bit) and the quality was really quite surprising. The following night the bottom 3 contestants would all sing INXS songs, and then one would be selected by the panel (INXS and Dave Navarro) to leave because "we just don't think you're right for our band, INXS".

The voting was actually pretty interesting. The second show would always announce at the start who was in the bottom 3 after the first hour of voting, before they announced who was in it at the end of voting. After 1 hour of voting the Australian guy was ALWAYS in the bottom 3. But it wasn't until the final 4 contestants that he actually ended up in the bottom 3 at the conclusion of voting. I think the show screened in Australia after the North American screening, and the Australian votes were rather biased... it was amusing :D
 

direstraits

Well-Known Member
I didn't watch it much, but from what I've seen (the last 4 contestants onwards) the quality is great - I did think the girl in the last 4 was actually pretty good.

And I actually liked Pretty Vegas! Maybe it was my state of mind at that time.

ds
 

Kookamoor

New Member
direstraits said:
I did think the girl in the last 4 was actually pretty good.
Me too!! But I'm glad she didn't win, because I'd like to see her do solo work. I think she got a record contract. Jordis? Was that her name?
 

SFG75

Well-Known Member
Kookamoor said:
Me too!! But I'm glad she didn't win, because I'd like to see her do solo work. I think she got a record contract. Jordis? Was that her name?

Oh yes, you can see her show profile here. Don't know about the contract, but it wouldn't suprise me-watch her outsell INXS!.;) :p
 

G4G

New Member
Having a show like Pop Idol to find their new singer seems a bit naff to me. I've always had a fondness for the band, but hearing about this show has caused me to lose interest in anything they may be doing now. And I doubt if I'm the only one with this view.
 

Kookamoor

New Member
CDA said:
Having a show like Pop Idol to find their new singer seems a bit naff to me. I've always had a fondness for the band, but hearing about this show has caused me to lose interest in anything they may be doing now. And I doubt if I'm the only one with this view.
Yeah, it sounded pretty daft when I first heard about it, and I seriously questioned the credibility of the band. But having seen the show I realised that these were quality musicians, and it was more than just a glorified kareoki competition. When you think about it, they would have been auditioning different singers for the band anyway - why not gain some attention and attract a new fan base while you do it? It also allows unknowns who specialise in rock music (which the Pop Idol shows do *not*) to get some exposure.
 

G4G

New Member
Kookamoor said:
When you think about it, they would have been auditioning different singers for the band anyway - why not gain some attention and attract a new fan base while you do it? It also allows unknowns who specialise in rock music (which the Pop Idol shows do *not*) to get some exposure.

Yes, I can see your point when you put it like that. It's just one's immediate impression is of some horrendous pop trash thing. I expect I'll give the new stuff a listen at some point. Daft to write them off, after all.

BTW - how long ago did this show happen?
 

Kookamoor

New Member
CDA said:
It's just one's immediate impression is of some horrendous pop trash thing.
Bleh. I know. It's a shame that these shows end in such commercialised crap when they could really be exposing new talent and giving inovative "musicians" a push. I think this one does this to a certain extent, and I really hope that someone takes a hint and produces something that concentrates on talent and maybe even *shock, horror* song writing ability. But more likely we'll be seeing the same schlock for a while to come until the TV audience stops tuning in to the same ol', same ol'.

CDA said:
BTW - how long ago did this show happen?
I looked it up. It started August 11th and J.D. was chosen on September 20th. Episode guide.
 

SFG75

Well-Known Member
Bleh. I know. It's a shame that these shows end in such commercialised crap when they could really be exposing new talent and giving inovative "musicians" a push. I think this one does this to a certain extent, and I really hope that someone takes a hint and produces something that concentrates on talent and maybe even *shock, horror* song writing ability. But more likely we'll be seeing the same schlock for a while to come until the TV audience stops tuning in to the same ol', same ol'.

Just when I think your done with making an excellent post, you go and do it again Kook!.:) I agree 110%, it would be nice if they would just videotape a coffeehouse with a good reputation for acts or a nightclub in order to get some original talent. A lot of the people on the show can't write their own songs, and those that do, are hardly like Bob Dylan in writing them.
 

SFG75

Well-Known Member
Maybe we should develop a proposal for Fox or something.

And the judges panel could be Bob Dylan, Dwight Yoakam, and the kid in 3rd grade who could grind his nails on the chalkboard.
 
Top