• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is it healthy to excessively think about your dreams or take pleasure in them?

lovermuffin

I know this subject might be old, but its been on my mind since I woke up this morning. I had a fantasy dream about a guy who knew how to turn me on, very rare indeed. And I've been almost wishing that I could sleep forever and live my life with this person, or at least meet them in real life.
I've noticed that my dreams are extremely vivid and colorful, and all of my senses are very strong...well except for taste, I can't remember tasting anything in my dreams.
So what about anyone else? Do you experience dreams similar to the way I do? Or are they different?
Oh and as a side not, has anyone seen the movie "Waking Life"? What if our whole lives are dreams?! (reality crumbles before my eyes)

When I remember my dreams they seem to be very vivid and the feeling I get in them can influence my mood for the entire day. I can't really remember tasting anything in a dream but I think that is just matter of bad memory.
It's not very often that I remember more than the feeling of the dream and completely forget what it was about.
I have seen "Waking Life" but it doesn't really matter if life is a dream or not. What would it change?

My dreams are VERY realistic. I don't dream that often, but when I do they are like movies that I live out. Normally my dreams seem to mean something. They come at a time when something is bothering me or something has happened in my life and they explain things to me.

i was talking about this today. i will sometimes try to program my dreams by thinking about specific things or people.
i remember my dreams very well and sometimes they will stick with me all day.

once i dreamt i ate an entire salt lick, you know like for horses or cattle. woke up very thirsty.

i also have always liked this quote, by constance beresford howe. "somewhere on the frontier between darkness and light i was detained by a dream."

My dreams can sometimes effect my mood, too. If I've had a very vivid dream that had strong a feeling in it, I wake up feeling that way all day.

I don't remember tasting anything in my dreams but I do smell things when I 'm dreaming, like I often dream of my Great Grandmother's house and it smells just like her house.

I've also noticed that what I do before bed, like a movie I watched, a book I read or the music I was listening to can effect my dreams.

I'm curious if other's dream of smoking, I only ask because I've never smoked in my dreams. Even years ago when I was a heavy smoker, I didn't. I always thought that was funny that something that was such apart of my real life didn't carry over.

i have a recurring dream, that i only have when my life is about to change drastically. it's the same dream, its very disturbing to me. the first time i had it, i was about to quit my job and uproot myself to go to europe. i told my friend about my dream and how it bothered me, and she said when you have very shocking dreams, like mine, it represents change. so now when i have the dream, it bothers me less because i now understand the meaning behind it.

i dream i am losing my teeth all the time. i am spitting them out and chewing on them trying to talk. it's gross.

I had a dream about my teeth like that once but they were all connected, I pulled one and they all started to come out, icky, gives me the heeby jeebies to remember it.

I have a dream dictionary here somewhere, I'll look it up.

someone told me it means you are worried about money, but i think, for me, it just means i am worried about losing my teeth. i've had a lot of work done with braces etc. dentists freak me out!!!

Now I remember why I stopped looking at the Dreams Interpreted book, it's all doom & gloom. Basically every dream I've looked up foretells horrible things. See the following, cheery,eh?

Losing Teeth-you will have burdens which will crush your pride and demolish your affairs.

ok well then good to know. i think i will stick to my crippling fear of dentists and the entire dental world.

jenngorham said:
once i dreamt i ate an entire salt lick, you know like for horses or cattle. woke up very thirsty
lmao

Dreaming about teeth, or even hair, falling out is allegedly fear of growing old.

Regarding the original question, if you consider that dreams are supposed to be the minds way of unwinding & resolving problems, then there's nothing wrong with enjoying dreams. On the other hand, once it gets to the point dreams are more fun then reality maybe it's just your minds way of suggesting you take your life off in a slightly different direction .. one you'd find more enjoyable.

I used to have lots of nightmares when I was little, so I learnt from an early age how to slightly alter the course of my dreams. back then, I also wondered if dreams were reality & vice versa (I was a very weird kid), so i wouldn't mind checking out that film.

Sar said:
Regarding the original question, if you consider that dreams are supposed to be the minds way of unwinding & resolving problems, then there's nothing wrong with enjoying dreams. On the other hand, once it gets to the point dreams are more fun then reality maybe it's just your minds way of suggesting you take your life off in a slightly different direction .. one you'd find more enjoyable.

that is really interesting. i don't believe in random, i think everything happens for a reason and that it is up to us to pay attention in order to make decisions. and if your mind, through dreams, is trying to point you in a better direction, then likely there is a reason for that.

Thanks Jenn, I have to believe in randomness as my husband is one of the most random people alive ;).

If you think about it, it's where the term "to sleep on it" comes from - the brain has the best chance of resolving problems when in a dream-like state. Also, it is believed by some that dreams are sometimes the brain's way of testing out new things without having to take any risks, kind of in "sandbox mode".

Admittedly though, I am really into psychology so I'm bound to believe the subconcious mind is trying to send out a message.

almost every dream i have is incredibly vivid, and most are very emotional or exciting. i've had dreams where i've won the lotto or something and at some point in the dream i realize i'm dreaming, and then i experience a feeling of regret that i will wake out of the dream. i have never tried to dream about something before, it's never occured to me to do that. i think i will give it a shot.

i mostly don't remember any of my dreams but if i do, the dreams are just picture after picture, like Photoalbum, mostly black and white, and with feelings attached.
Sometimes i wake up and my pillow is soaked with tears, but i can't remember and the last time i consiously (sp) cried was when i was about 6 or 7....
weird...

anyway, did anybody ever dreamed that he/she was buried alife?

I don't really dream about myself dying. I do have dreams about having to go on the toilet in public though, like I'll have to use the toilet and the only one I'll be able to find will be right in the middle of a public area...maybe it means I don't like exposing who I am
Dreams are also a way to connect with my father, who died 3 years ago. Having a dream with him is like being able to bring him back to life to talk with him, though nothing important is ever said in a dream with him, I just hang out with him, and it's enough for me.
As for channeling certain dreams, I could never do it. I've actually found that the more conscious I make something, the less likely I am to dream of it.

i liked what sar said about your subconcious trying to tell you something or taking a risk in a dream and not facing the consequences in real lfie. i have been having dreams as of late about something i've had on my mind for awhile, and the dreams i'm having are based directly on what's been going on, and i think i've come to some sort of cnclusion about what decision i will make and how i will go about doing so.
very interesting indeed...

I love to interpret my friends' dreams. I'm probably committing some kind of malpractice.

Back