• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is there a word meaning 'L-shaped' ?

steffee

I am looking, really, for a dictionary which maybe lets you put in the meaning of a word, to find the actual word, rather than the usual way of putting in a word to get the definition.

In particular, I am looking for a word to mean L-shaped, as in an L-shaped room...

If anyone has any suggestions?

Lynne Reid Banks, author of "The L-Shaped Room," would probably tell you there is no such word. Or if there is it's so obscure nobody would understand it so you may as well just say 'L-shaped.'

I could not find anything in google

The first thought that came to mind is to coin the word Lamdoid, except the Greek letter Lambda is more like an upside down V than an L.

Since the essence of the L shape is orthogonal, or right-angled, I thought of orthogonal. The word angular or angle might be useful somehow. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thank you everyone: Occlith, that's exactly what I had hoped to find, unconsciously, I never knew such a thing as a reverse dictionary existed!! Shade, yes, of course. No doubt, she will have at least tried to find a word for it, even if she had not intended using one. Stewart, thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered 'bracket' before, but it is a bit more interesting than 'L-shaped room' (no offence to Ms Banks). And Sitaram, how interesting. I have spent a good half an hour today looking at the dictionary definitions of 'lambdoid' and 'orthogonal', and several other resources. 'Angular' is very useful.

So thank you, everyone. And I have a feeling this bracket-shaped, orthogonal room may be the best described concept in the story!

The bent knee- on bended knee

Perhaps in the story you could have some mention of someone kneeling, genuflecting, with bent knee, the bend of the knee resembling the L and the room, with some notion of supplication, or surrender.

If you're only referring to a room, in architectural parlance an ell is a right-angled extension of a room or building.

You could always use a simile instead of searching for obscure words that not very many people would know of. Take whatever you're describing as L-shaped, and say it's "shaped like the path a chess knight has to be moved in," or something along those lines.

Well, I'll be durned, steffee. Look at all the folks you caused to come out of the shadows -- orthogonal, L-shaped, genuflecting, lamboid or otherwise.

Good work! :D

The L-Shaped Room word is not the type of words to be found in dictionary. I wanna remind that acid rain has waited for 42 years till 1921 to be added into dictionary. It's true that The L-Shaped Room is something important but not as acid rain. If even it's, there hasn't been a claim for it.

Back