• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Isabel Allende: The House Of The Spirits

sandra!

I finished reading this novel last friday. It was excellent! it's about this Chilean family, and their triumphs and failures. Allende has impressed me so much! When i started reading it, I thought it was rather interesting. if you like family chronicles, read this novel! if you have read it already, post your comments here. :D

I love that book. In fact, it's where I got my 'name' from on here - because my real name was already taken.

Allende really takes you to that time in history doesn't she? Her characters are built so well. It's one of my favourite books.

I read it as well. It's been a while, so my recollection may be a bit vague, but I do think I enjoyed reading it. It was very unlike anything else I'd read until then...

It's on my bookshelf waiting to be read :) Really looking forward to reading it as I have been wanting to for long time!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Clara said:
I love that book. In fact, it's where I got my 'name' from on here - because my real name was already taken.

Allende really takes you to that time in history doesn't she? Her characters are built so well. It's one of my favourite books.

oh yeah, clara! :D i'd be... Rosa. lol it's one of my favorite books too.

SillyWabbit said:
It's on my bookshelf waiting to be read :) Really looking forward to reading it as I have been wanting to for long time!

Regards
SillyWabbit

i suggest you read it now! lol it's really fantastic!

House of spirits

Just finished House of Spirits by Isabel Allende. I found it to be a really wonderful book! A story very well told. I can highly recommend this work!

Did anybody else think that, apart from many other themes, the book was about extreems? Notice that all the central characters are extreem oposites of each other? For instance, Nicolos is wild free spirit kinda guy that is interested in spirits. This brother Jamie spends all his time in books and the worlds problems and is very down to earth and somber. Another, Clara is always in her own world and talking to spirits. She is unaware of the house and money or servents or what is going on in the world Her husband is always dealing with the world, money and power. I found that interersting and it mirrored the extreems of idiology present in the history.

Well, wonderful beautiful book full of life. Go read it! I am wondering what else to get by this author now :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

I loved this book as well and have lent it to many friends, making them read it as well :p I really loved the different characters and the way it moved through history, irrespective of which characters had died. There was a continuity to it.

I haven't read any of her other books but keep meaning to. Let me know if you try any.

Glad there is another fan of the book!

I'm thinking of reading Eva Luna by her next! I'm not sure, but will let you know!

Regards
SillyWabbit

I haven't read house of spirits yet but am planning too pretty soon.If you really like her books you should try portrait of sepia, i really liked it.It's also about a chilean girl except this one spents her early childhood in america but later in her life she moves with her grandmother to chile.I think you will like this book too it's full of intrigue and isabel allende tells a good story.

nick452 said:
I haven't read house of spirits yet but am planning too pretty soon.If you really like her books you should try portrait of sepia, i really liked it.It's also about a chilean girl except this one spents her early childhood in america but later in her life she moves with her grandmother to chile.I think you will like this book too it's full of intrigue and isabel allende tells a good story.

ooh.. okay, thanks! sounds like an interesting one

I just finished House of the Spirits and I really enjoyed it. I had actually seen the movie first and was fascinated by it, so I decided to pick up the book and read it. I must say, the movie didn't do the book justice. It really cut out a lot of the good stuff. I was kinda disappointed in the ending. I would have liked to have seen Alba get some kind of revenge, but I understand why it was written the way it was.

Back