• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

It's official: Amazon e-books now outselling print books

some reported that it had been proven that e-readers were eco-friendly as long as you just read 34 books on them, others reported that it was proven that e-readers were NOT eco-friendly since you had to read all of 34 books on them. Apparently, to some people this is a lot.

I go through 34 books in less than a year and my electronic devices have a lifetime of 2-5 years. Hmm, I see how this could easily get tough for not-so-avid readers.

However, what about using your tablet PC or PDA? You don't need any extra devices to read ebooks then. I hate the gray-on-gray kindles but the kindle app on my Motorola Xoom at 10" and with wonderful bright colors (real black and real white mostly lol) is just right for me.

E-books sales surge after holidays

The latest list, based on sales data from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1, shows a remarkable burst of digital book sales after e-readers were unwrapped as gifts — for 42 of the top 50 titles, the e-book editions were the most popular format.

Let's repeat that: 80% of the bestseller list are now selling more as digital than as dead tree books.

Sure, but it'll take time. Plastic is not a good thing. I try do not use plastic. But when I think about all those trees used for all the books that were printed, let's say, during last 10 ears... Sad... I read about 200 books/year. So, if I have a reader, I can save space in my house and I can save a lot of trees. I'd prefer to buy stainless steal reader if I'd find one. :) Now I have plastic Nook. But I'm glad I can help to save trees. Also, reader is REALLY convenient. I can carry hundreds of books in my purse! :D

Paper is made from trees that are grown specially to make paper.

Broke down and bought a kindle after playing with a co-workers for a while. I did not think I would love it so much. I was sort of against e-readers and kind of determined to stay with paper, but............ I really don't think I will buy a hardcover ever again. And I find I am reading more than ever. It is so convenient to take wherever I go that I always have my book with me now. Just finished Dance of Dragons by GRR Martin. Try lugging that thing to the doctors office! I still remember the wrist strain from reading the last one on the toilet. Ouch. TMI, I know, but you get the point. Also love the privacy factor. I hate when I'm reading in public and people keep glancing to see what I'm reading. Not sure why I hate that because I do it to people myself, lol.
Anyhow. I'm converted. Like everything technology related I am bringing up the rear, I know. Just passing along my new experience to any other old-school readers who might still be on the fence.

Paper is made from trees that are grown specially to make paper.

I don't think there is any one species of tree that is used to make paper, even just the paper used for books. I could be wrong on that but I do know newsprint at least comes from chips from a variety of trees.

I don't think there is any one species of tree that is used to make paper, even just the paper used for books. I could be wrong on that but I do know newsprint at least comes from chips from a variety of trees.

I think what PlaypitsPark meant was that the trees used to make paper are planted with that sole purpose, no matter what their species is.

That's true to a certain extent - though not nearly completely; a lot of original forest, including rainforest, is still cut down to either a) make paper, or b) provide land on which to grow paper.

And even in the cases where trees are grown specifically to make paper and are replanted afterwards, it's important to note that it's not exactly wheat or potatoes that can be harvested once a year. It takes about 45-80 years for a typical Northern hemisphere tree to grow to a size where it makes sense to harvest it. Plantations of "fast-growing" trees around the equator can be harvested after about 7-8 years, but again, those are often grown on land that used to be either rainforest or could be used to grow food.

So yeah, paper is technically a renewable resource, but not infinitely so, not quickly, and not without complications. Also, renewable doesn't always mean renewed.

http://www.greenamerica.org/PDF/PaperFacts.pdf

On the weekend I went secondhand book shopping. I've always loved secondhand book shops, the smell, the mystery, the eco-friendly shopping. But, even well-thumbed paperbacks are too expensive for me now. I only bought two books then went home to download the others on my iPad at less than a fifth of the price in the secondhand shops!

On the weekend I went secondhand book shopping. I've always loved secondhand book shops, the smell, the mystery, the eco-friendly shopping. But, even well-thumbed paperbacks are too expensive for me now. I only bought two books then went home to download the others on my iPad at less than a fifth of the price in the secondhand shops!

I am always surprised that exactly that point is not more prominent in all discussions of comparative feel, format, screen, ambience, smell, weight, touch, ecology etc. Still, I lost my senses last night and went into a Barnes and Noble "just to look," and came out with a sack-full of new books for $125 -- and not for the first time either.
I'm surprised I don't listen to my own wallet; it just doesn't make sense. :sad:

I lost my senses last night and went into a Barnes and Noble "just to look," and came out with a sack-full of new books for $125 -- and not for the first time either.
I'm surprised I don't listen to my own wallet; it just doesn't make sense. :sad:

I've done that before! Books can suck us in no? But I'm on a serious budget at the moment, so it's ebooks only for now.

Back