• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

It's official: Amazon e-books now outselling print books

Good, maybe someone will get the memo that hardbacks should not be $50.00+ unless they are medical texts or the like.

I can see it. Even I've come over to the dark side and my kindle was delivered yesterday.

After hemming and hawing for a year or so I realized that it's really economical versus buying hardbacks. Limited availability of new releases at the library and the cost of purchasing new books convinced me.

I can see it. Even I've come over to the dark side and my kindle was delivered yesterday.

After hemming and hawing for a year or so I realized that it's really economical versus buying hardbacks. Limited availability of new releases at the library and the cost of purchasing new books convinced me.

Welcome, it is quite nice over here on the dark side.

ablog.ebmhead.com_wp_content_uploads_2008_10_theultimatedeal.jpg

I just downloaded four major works by Immanuel Kant. The cost was $5.00, while buying these separately at a brick and mortar would have been about $45.00 a piece!

Digital democratization is awesome. The world is flat, good riddance to the horse and buggy businesses of today who can't cope. Mwahahahahahaha!

We can save trees if we use e-readers. More trees - better ecology. It's a good reason for buying e-reader, I think.

It's not as if the trees that are cut down for paper aren't being replaced by other trees.

I am almost determined to go back solely to normal paper-based books as I know the chances of that book having gone through the proper quality-based publishing process (including typographer/editor/proofreader) are much greater than that of any ebook I might buy...

We can save trees if we use e-readers. More trees - better ecology. It's a good reason for buying e-reader, I think.

On the other hand, it's not like e-readers made up of plastic and microchips are all that eco-friendly.

I actually took part in a study a while back where they came to the conclusion that e-readers are more eco-friendly than books if you read at least 34 books on them before tossing them away. It was fun to watch that get written up in the papers; some reported that it had been proven that e-readers were eco-friendly as long as you just read 34 books on them, others reported that it was proven that e-readers were NOT eco-friendly since you had to read all of 34 books on them. Apparently, to some people this is a lot.

It's not as if the trees that are cut down for paper aren't being replaced by other trees.

Sure, but it'll take time. Plastic is not a good thing. I try do not use plastic. But when I think about all those trees used for all the books that were printed, let's say, during last 10 ears... Sad... I read about 200 books/year. So, if I have a reader, I can save space in my house and I can save a lot of trees. I'd prefer to buy stainless steal reader if I'd find one. :) Now I have plastic Nook. But I'm glad I can help to save trees. Also, reader is REALLY convenient. I can carry hundreds of books in my purse! :D

Sure, but it'll take time. Plastic is not a good thing. I try do not use plastic. But when I think about all those trees used for all the books that were printed, let's say, during last 10 ears... Sad... I read about 200 books/year. So, if I have a reader, I can save space in my house and I can save a lot of trees. I'd prefer to buy stainless steal reader if I'd find one. :) Now I have plastic Nook. But I'm glad I can help to save trees. Also, reader is REALLY convenient. I can carry hundreds of books in my purse! :D

Actually, the timber companies are pretty good about making sure they have an adequate supply of raw material. The pulp to make the paper comes from young trees that were planted for that purpose. It takes 20 years or so for the crop to mature, but it is a renewable resource and fairly efficiently managed.

That said, the process that makes paper has a definite environmental impact. The chemicals are harsh and dangerous, the amount of clean water and electricity it sucks up is astonishing and who hasn't marveled at the wonderful odor a pulping plant produces?

An electronic reader helps, but if you really want to try and make an impact harass your representatives about the waste that is junk mail. Your plaintive cries will fall on deaf ears plus the paper companies and the USPS will hate you but at least you are trying.

Now I am going to go start up my gas guzzling sedan and drive to Starbucks for a latte while looking forward to the veal I have planned for dinner.

Outselling? Not surprising at all at the generally lower e-book prices, which I think might be the most persuasive (and least mentioned) argument of all.
I read in my Kindle as much -- or as little -- as in any of my new book purchases. And at the moment I am reading a book that I probably would never have read in hard copy -- Rasselas by Samuel Johnson. Overall, a definite plus. And, lattes are good also. :flowers:

Whenever I read from the Kindle, I am always so glad that they have this non-glossy/non-reflective screen, which helps so much when reading outdoor, with the Sun above you.

I am for ebook to blossom and expand, not just save the trees, but opportunities for many to read and be informed...:lol:

Back