• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Anyone read this one so we may have a discussion about our book of the month? It's getting to be the last week in June...

I've read it, but it's been such a long time, and I haven't had the time to re-read it... I don't think I have anything useful to say...

I HAD to read it again to understand the plot of the fifth book.

Well, it has the most um... 'dangerous' climax. The scene at the graveyard was the most life-threatening part - yes, in ALL the 5 books. You couldn't really see a way out, what with no-one to help, and at a totally alien place, a hundred miles away from where you should have been.

And it was great when that "Priori Incantatem" happened.. when the two wands kind of "recognised" each other. And it was touching when Harry met his parents...

Who's idea was it sell this book in threes as well as in ones? If you want three, why can't you just buy three?

I enjoyed this book very much when I read it last year. I thought the competion for the Goblet was well planned and I enjoyed Rowlings imagination with these scenes.

I did find the tense graveyard standoff with He Who Should Not Be Names (sorry just couldnt resist :) ) and Harry was a good lead into the end of the book.

Will there be a discussion on the new book?

rune

Originally posted by rune
Will there be a discussion on the new book?
You might want to take a look in the Children's Fiction forum; there's a bunch of Order of the Phoenix topics there.

I was slightly bored during the first few chapters of this book - when they went to the Quidditch World Cup, I thought it dragged a bit. The rest was great though. I am surprised that most people found it much better than the rest (not just here but in The Big Read) - in my opinion they are all pretty much even in terms of being good books. But then I like to be contrary. :D

Originally posted by headpodd
I was slightly bored during the first few chapters of this book - when they went to the Quidditch World Cup, I thought it dragged a bit. The rest was great though.

you and me both. but my sister always says that was like one of the best parts. i was thinking: "one of the best parts?" lol

lol I remember being bored silly by that first bit the first time I read it but when I got to the end I didn't understand it so I had to read the book again from the start, the second time round I really enjoyed it.

I definitely thought it was the best book out of the lot.

Dumbledore in Goblet of Fire (spoilers)

Has anyone wondered what was meant by the bit at the end of GoF when Harry was telling Dumbledore about how Voldemort could now touch Harry without pain and Dumbledore's eyes were described showing a "brief flash of triumph" (or words to that effect)?

I didn't really register this the first time I read GoF (LATE at night/EARLY morning :) ) but noticed it after I'd read Order of the Pheonix.

The more I reread this bit, I'm not sure what the significance is. The obvious connection is to the prophecy of course, but to something Dumbledore didn't tell Harry or only hinted at?

My only thought is that its a private theory of Dumbledore's about how Voldemort will be defeated. Remember the bit in OotP where he describes how it was Harry's capacity to love that broke Voldemorts possession of him - maybe its to do with this? Voldemort is now "infected" with the capacity to love which is completely alien to him, and will gradually weaken him from within.

I dunno. Thoughts anyone?

Kev

PS the other theory of course is that Voldemort is actually Dumbledore's henchman and Dumbledore is pleased by the news ..... :p

lemur said:
Has anyone wondered what was meant by the bit at the end of GoF when Harry was telling Dumbledore about how Voldemort could now touch Harry without pain and Dumbledore's eyes were described showing a "brief flash of triumph" (or words to that effect)?

IPS the other theory of course is that Voldemort is actually Dumbledore's henchman and Dumbledore is pleased by the news ..... :p

I wondered about this myself! I find it quite worrying and it got me wondering about whether Dumbledore was truly on Harry's side, despite all the things he has done in the past to protect him. I can't think of any other reason why Dumbledore would be pleased about it. All very puzzling! :)

I think it has to do with the prophecy:
and either must die at the hand of the other, for neither can live while the other survives...
It could be understood that both will die or only one of them. If it was the first case, then it would enabling the final battle.

(Of course, if Harry is the One of the prophecy and Voldemort the Dark Lord :p )

It's a kid's book - I can't imagine that Harry would be killed off at the end. He could be figuratively killed off I suppose - the power's he got from Voldemort disappearing when he dies.

I still go with the fact that its connected to something we haven't seen yet and (relatively) unconnected to the prophecy. Roll on book 6!

Kev

Well, I imagine Harry's death...after Cedric's and Sirius's (unless theory "Sirius lives!" is true :p ). Remember that these books are getting darker and darker. I'm not sure about Harry, but we certainly will see more deaths, not only of minor or evil characters. I only don't believe that it can end up with Voldemort's triumph.
As far as the prophecy is concerned, I think that it has a twist- prophecies usually have, but I'm not sure where...Maybe the one is Neville?

Back