• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.K. Rowling: Mistakes found in Harry Potter

I would like to know if you've found mistakes in Harry Potter. I've found some, but can only remember two at the moment. I'm not talking about grammer mistakes. I'm meaning like actual mess-ups in the story.

1. In the fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry is leaving to go home. Well as the carriages come up to the school, Harry does not see the Thestrals pulling them, but didn't he just witness Cedric Diggory's death? Which means that he should have seen them. Meaning that they didn't exist until J.K.R. wrote the fifth book. There's something to ponder over.

2. In the sixth book, Harry, Hermione, and Ron recieve their grades. According to Snape, you must get an oustanding to be in his class. Ron recieved none, whereas Harry recieved one (in defense against the dark arts). Snape was switched to teach DTDA. If he was switched then wouldn't he still require an outstanding? Ron still took the class which is technically N.E.W.T level. I believe that'a a mistake...

Well post mistakes that you have found please, and if you disagree with me then let me know...

I'll have to check it in the books, but acording to the Harry Potter Wiki

Harry had the chance to witness at least two people die before the death of Cedric Diggory in Goblet of Fire. His mother was murdered by Lord Voldemort when he was one, and Professor Quirrell in his first year. Despite this, Harry is not able to see the Thestrals till the beginning of his fifth year. J. K. Rowling has explained this stating that he was in his crib when his mother was murdered, and passed out before Quirrell died. It's also plausible that when his parents died, Harry was too young to truly understand the concept of accepting someone's death. This creates a paradox in the films, since the first film shows Harry seeing Quirrell die.

As for the second mistake, I'll have to check it too.

Well that still doesn't go against my reasoning. He was old enough when he witnessed Cedric's death, making him eligible to see the thestrals.

It say in The Chamber Of Secrets that Voldemort has supposedly been in hiding for 15 years, Harry is 13 at the time, But should really be 14, since Harry was a year old when Voldemort killed his parents.

neat one

In the third book, Ron and Harry look for an empty compartment, and put their things in it. After doing so, they go back outside. A few pages later, Ron, Harry, and Hermione go and look for a compartment again. All were full except for the one at the end of the train. Why would they be looking for a compartment when they already found one?

And then their things are in the compartment, because Ron points out that a noise is coming from Harry's trunk. Their things couldn't have been in there, because they already put them in another one.

One mistake that has bothered me since I read the 4th book is when Harry and Voldemort battle, and the last people Voldemort killed come out of his wand. First comes Peter's hand, then comes the old man, the comes Harry's dad. But didn't it say in the first book that Voldemort killed Harry's dad, and then moved on to his mom and him? So technically, his mom should have came out first and then his dad, since they were coming out in reverse order.

I also thought it was weird that after his parents did come out, people just stopped appearing while Harry discussed what to do with them. Shouldn't numerous others start appearing too?

Not in my copy. I've read it over like 10 times, and I've pondered over it for years now. I do have the first edition though. I also have the book on tape,and it has his dad coming out first as well (the Jim Dale version of the tapes).

Maybe she changed it in later books?

"The snake suddenly opened its beady eyes. Slowly, very slowly, it raised its head until its eyes were on a level with Harry’s.

It winked.

Harry stared. Then he looked quickly around to see if anyone was watching. They weren’t. He looked back at the snake and winked, too."

........Snakes cant wink :D

the title is "mistakes found in harry potter" and thats a mistake

they also show the snake wink in the film :D

In the last book Hermione puts a memory charms on her parents so they'll forget her, but later that book she tells Harry that she's never done a memory charm before.

Maybe snakes refuse to wink for muggles?

Exam Results.

In Prisoner of Azkaban, at the end before they get on the train home she says that Fred and Goerge get a handful of OWLs and Percy passes all his NEWTs with top marks, but in HBP, Ron, Hermione and Harry have to wait till summer to find out! Silly Billy.:lol:

James head boy

When Hagrid is introducing himself and talking about James and Lily Potter at the beginning of Sorcerer's Stone he said they are both head boy and girl. Then in Order of the Phoenix, Serious says that James wasn't even a Prefect. So how could James become head boy if he's not a prefect first?

2. In the sixth book, Harry, Hermione, and Ron recieve their grades. According to Snape, you must get an oustanding to be in his class. Ron recieved none, whereas Harry recieved one (in defense against the dark arts). Snape was switched to teach DTDA. If he was switched then wouldn't he still require an outstanding? Ron still took the class which is technically N.E.W.T level. I believe that'a a mistake...

Well post mistakes that you have found please, and if you disagree with me then let me know...

Snape teaches Defence Against the Dark Arts when Harry is in his sixth year. Professor Slughorn takes over Snape's position and takes students which have got an Exceeds Expectations in Potions.

Apparantly you can't apparate into or out of Hogwarts. So how come in the Order of the Phoenix when Montague gets trapped inside the vanishing cabinet, he is able to disapparate out of it and end up jammed inside a toilet in the castle??

Back