• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Hobbit

I'm reading a Carole Nelson Douglas book about Irene Adler (of Sherlock Holmsian fame) that caused me to google this information.

Just thought I'd share it here:

Many of the key names in the works of Tolkien are based on Semitic or Ancient Egyptian words, and this interpretation yields insights into the meaning of Tolkien's work ...

For instance:

Aragorn - The king
Frodo - the one who bears the burden
Melkor - Messenger, angel and king
Hobbit - The God of Words (Egyptian)
Gollum - Speechless

The Hobbit is the best book i have ever read and it has a special place in my heart..absolutely love it and hope to have time to read the others.

is also what started me reading as it was read to us at school and totally opened my mind to fantasy fiction

What a superb book this is! I have read it only twice so far, and was more hooked onto it the second time!

Favorite lines in this book

Gandalf: That leaves you just ten minutes. You will have to run

Bilbo: But-

Gandalf: No time for it

Bilbo: But-

Gandalf: No time for that either. Off you go!

Another set of dialogues

Bilbo: Good Morning

Gandalf: What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?

I just completed reading The Hobbit, an exceptionally well written book. I liked the riddles and the conversation of Bilbo and The Smaug the most. J R R Tolkien has written a classic book of all the time.

I read all of the LOTR at a young age (young enough) but when the Hobbit surfaced in popularity all my friends had read it but I didn't even know about it! Haha!
So I tried to read it but alas, it was not for me. Which is funny because I charged through LOTR and loved them... :p

Back