• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jack Kerouac

Dove into this thread for another reason and had to find out about the movie. According to IMDb it's now due for 2009, development status unknown... :( On the other hand: a movie?! Eh?! Wanna make a movie out of Ulysses too? (And they've done that and all. :eek: ) The writing's in the writing!

So anyway, the other reason is this: Nick Mamatas: Move under ground
blurb said:
The year is nineteen-sixty-something, and after endless millennia of watery sleep, the stars are finally right. Old R'lyeh rises out of the Pacific, ready to cast its damned shadow over the primitive human world. The first to see its peaks: an alcoholic, paranoid, and frightened Jack Kerouac, who had been drinking off a nervous breakdown up in Big Sur. Now Jack must get back on the road to find Neal Cassady, the holy fool whose rambling letters hint of a world brought to its knees in worship of the Elder God Cthulhu. Together with pistol-packin' junkie William S. Burroughs, Jack and Neal make their way across the continent to face down the murderous Lovecraftian cult that has spread its darkness to the heart of the American Dream. But is Neal along for the ride to help save the world, or does he want to destroy it just so that he'll have an ending for his book?

I'm a bit more than halfway through, and I think I actually like it... It's better than you'd think, anyway. The Kerouacism, the buddhism, the Lovecraftism... Squares vs. Beats brought to its extremes. Makes me wanna reread/read more Jacques, anyway

*mrkgnao*

ive actually been following the movie closely and i am thrilled. walter salles has been chosen to direct this masterpiece of literature. talks of brad pitt starring are recurring.

he directed motorcycle diaires which was a flawless, adventurous tale of travel and discovery. so who better than walter to tackle this whale of a tale.

Kerouac,,,I love on the road and I'll be reading his other works after, no fear. The films *still* in production! :eek:

Kerouac's first novel to be published for the first time

The first novel Jack Kerouac ever wrote, when he was a merchant mariner in 1942, will be published in its entirety for the first time.

The Sea is My Brother was described by the Beat Generation icon as "man's simple revolt from society as it is, with the inequalities, frustration, and self-inflicted agonies."

The 158-page manuscript follows the life of Wesley Martin who has a "strange, lonely love" of the sea.

In Kerouac's own notes about the book, he talks about the characters in The Sea is My Brother as symbolic of "the vanishing American … the American Indian, the last of the pioneers, the last of the hoboes."

I'm tempted to quote bookslut here; "If it's taken this long to publish Kerouac's first book, you know it has to be good."

i read it when i was 17 and fell in love with it. i am intrigued by the whole beatnik scene and i can totally hear "the voice." it was a pleasure to read and a journey of its own kind for myself to read through it. it has changed me in various ways. i guess it depends on the person.

I read OTR when I was probably 14, & have loved the Beats ever since (Im 33 now), especially Kerouac. I went through the whole lot of the material a long time ago, & have revisited it several times since.

Dont take anyone's advice that has been given thus far in regards to author's "like" Kerouac. None of them are like Kerouac. Trust me, Ive read the majority of them, & theyre not Jack. You will likely be disappointed in all of them. Burroughs is nothing like Kerouac. Pynchon, Southern, Kesey, Hoffman, Faulkner, Toni Morrison (WTF??), all are nothing like Kerouac. Theres a couple others mentioned that I am not familiar w/,but Id be willing to bet the top pinky joint on my left hand that they arent anything like Kerouac.

Go ahead, take a chance & dont trust me. But I think you will find that I am right.

you know Funes funny you should say that, that thought definitely has crossed my mind.

sometimes he gets so off track, and enters a rant thats irrelevant and it kinda distracts me and almost irritates me.

Oh, well then dont bother w/Visions of Cody. Though I personally found it a delight. Getting off track & into irrelevancy is part of the point, IMO. Dude, its called stream of consciousness man.

I don't think that should be much of a problem with Desolation Angels. But, you are exactly right about the rants. Usually what gets me is when he gets away from the narrative structure and starts playing with words, gets too jazzy in his writing. I guess if you are a writer, you have to love words and language - that doesn't mean that you shouldn't take the cigar out every now and then.

If you know the rules, then youre free to break them.

On The Road is being made into a feature film!!!

I am so thrilled that its being directed by Walter Salles. He directed Motorcycle Diaries so he has great experience with a story that deals with traveling and discovering.

Your excitement may be premature. Theres been talk about a cinematic adaption of OTR for 10 years AT LEAST.

If you know the rules, then youre free to break them.

That is what is just great about On the Road. No chapters, no headings, just one long wild ride across the good old U.S. of A. There isn't a rhyme or reason as to what occurs at all. People are picked up and left off at a whim. If anything, the book harkens back to the old notion of a wide open country with endless possibility. At least, that's how I'm enjoying it.

Back