• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jack London

White Fang by Jack London was one of the first books I remember my father reading to me when I was young. I loved those times and that story. I resolved then I would read all the Jack London I could get my hands on and never have. You hear that? That's the sound of my TBR list getting longer.

When I was a kid I loved stories where the main character was an animal so I read stuff like Watership Down, The Cold Moons and of course Call of the Wild and White Fang. I've not read them for years but at one time Call of the Wild was definitely my favourite book. Like ions perhaps I should keep a look out for them again as well. Add them to my to read again list.

He's also got some other great works like Martin Eden and The Sea Wolf. I'll never forget the first time I read The Sea Wolf. It was such a gripping story.

"To Build a Fire" is one of the greatest short stories ever written, IMHO. I feel, however, that his other short stories were basically the same thing over and over.

The Cruise of the Snark is in my TBR bookcase.

I did read The Sea Wolf when I was a kid as well. Didn't grip me as much as Call of the Wild though. I think it's because I really really wanted to be a vet when I was younger and only books about animals stayed in my memories. Then I discovered sci-fi and fantasy and the only animals I wanted to see were unicorns and Griffins!

Of his novels, I think I've only read White Fang and Call of the Wild.

Of the two, I enjoyed White Fang for its settings and presentation of nature. I especially liked the sections when young Fang was living with his mother in the wild, and I also really enjoyed the first section of the book where the men were being pursued by wolves. However, I liked the Call of the Wild for its philosophical ideas such as atavism, and for its statements about nature and wildness. I liked them both the same I guess.

I read a lot of his short stories, and so far my favorite is To Build a Fire. One thing I notice about his short stories is that the moral of the story is often really visible and obvious. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing as far as judging something as literature. Personally, I rather like it.

I wonder why so many people mention Call of the Wild and White Fang? Were those his most popular books or have them become popular over the years?

I particularily enjoy his "13 Tales of Terror" or something like that. It's a collection of his short stories. They cover different tragedies that occur outside and the horror that people face when pushed to the extremes. One of my favorites is where two men are snowed in at a cabin and run low on food and go crazy. It's very true to what happens to people when they are forced to live in close quarters with somebody and they see they're at the end of their ropes.

I loved Call of the wild. I read it when i was about 10 years old and still remember the way it made me feel. London wrote in a way that made you believe in his characters and situations. I wanted to go to those places and be with those people.

The Iron Heel. I read it years ago and quite enjoyed it. Have been thinking for a while now that I might have another look and see how I fare this time.

I didn't realise he'd written so much, and after reading blurricus's post ...

They cover different tragedies that occur outside and the horror that people face when pushed to the extremes. One of my favorites is where two men are snowed in at a cabin and run low on food and go crazy. It's very true to what happens to people when they are forced to live in close quarters with somebody and they see they're at the end of their ropes.

... I'll definitely be having a look for 13 Tales of Terror. :)

I've only read Call of the Wild, White Fang, and The Sea Wolf, but I enjoyed them all equally and a lot.

I'm going to read the Sea Wolf soon. I hope I enjoy it. I mostly like London for northern tales, although his non-Alaskan short stories are quite good, so a sea-faring adventure will be a new perspective.

I really like Jack London's Books. I am reading Call Of the Wild at the moment and am really enjoying it, It's the first time i have read the book. And if you have not read it, I'd recomend it to anyone who enjoys classics.

Back