• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

James Frey: A Million Little Pieces

This is turning into a pretty big story. I think I'll watch Larry King tonight.

Consumers posting on Oprah Winfrey's Book Club message board indicate that Random House is providing refunds to buyers of A MILLION LITTLE PIECES who call their customer service line to complain in the wake of the unanswered charges made by The Smoking Gun earlier this week. One correspondent posts: "Tell them you wanted fact not fiction.... They are very nice and will tell you how to return the book for a full refund..."

But after publication of this story in the morning edition of Deluxe, Reuters has followed with a piece focused on the refund program. They offer conflicting accounts of whether Random House is only accepting books purchased directly from the company (which would be almost none). In some calls, consumers were told to return books to the store where they purchased them, and to bring a receipt.

James Frey will appear on the Larry King Show tonight, though a spokesperson indicates to the AP that he "would not be interviewed for the entire hour-long program."

Agent Lynn Nesbit comments to the NY Observer, "This book will come and go, but the ripple effect could be much bigger if it causes Oprah to say, 'I don't want to get into this again,' This would be incredibly damaging for the book industry." The Observer adds, "If Ms. Winfrey were to turn against Mr. Frey, A Million Little Pieces could well become the Enron of the memoir boom."

Doubleday has offered more extensive comments in this statement: "Memoir is a personal history whose aim is to illuminate, by way of example, events and issues of broader social consequence. By definition, it is highly personal. In the case of Mr. Frey, we decided 'A Million Little Pieces' was his story, told in his own way, and he represented to us that his version of events was true to his recollections.

"Recent accusations against him notwithstanding, the power of the overall reading experience is such that the book remains a deeply inspiring and redemptive story for millions of readers."

Doug Johnson said:
"Recent accusations against him notwithstanding, the power of the overall reading experience is such that the book remains a deeply inspiring and redemptive story for millions of readers."

Well, I hope so. But that is hard to believe, too.

Peder,
The Original Cynic

Frey admitted all the facts weren't correct, but the story was emotionally true. (Reminded me of "Big Fish".) Then Oprah called. Frey looked pretty nervous. Very dramatic. Oprah supported him.

Personally, I don't think writers need to be 100% honest. Their job is to tell the best possible story. I think the rules are different, however, for addicts: particularly addicts who are offering advice to other addicts.

I haven't read the book, but it seems to me if you're presenting a book as a memoir and give the impression it's all true, then you have to take the consequences.

I can't understand how some people who've written memoirs seem to remember tiny details from when they were four years old or something. That's what ruins personal memoirs for me-saying "when I was five years old..." and going into a long, detailed description of something that happened. I'd believe it easier if "Aunt May told me that when I was five years old...".

Doug Johnson said:
Personally, I don't think writers need to be 100% honest. Their job is to tell the best possible story.

Well, not when they market the book as non-fiction. I think they should stick to the facts - they can still tell them in a way that makes them more interesting. If they have to lie to get people to be interested in their story, then they shouldn't be writing a non-fiction book.

The controversy got to me. I'm reading it to see what all the fuss is about. I wish the dialogue was in quotation marks, but so far the first couple of chapters are interesting.

If I had to guess why the author didn't use quotation marks, I'd say it's because he finds rehab disorienting and wants us to be disoriented too. I'd have much more empathy for him, however, if he communicated how disoriented he was, without making me feel that way.

Interesting:

Treatment Counselors Dispute Frey's Accounts

The NYT is sticking hard on the James Frey beat, now presenting several former addition counselors at the Hazelden Foundation saying that there is no essential truth to James Frey's depiction of many of his experiences in rehab. One, Debra Jay, tells the paper, "His description of treatment at Hazelden is almost entirely false." A frequent Oprah guest herself, Jay says she shared her doubts with a Winfrey Show producer at length. She adds, "I'm coming forward because his descriptions of treatment are so damaging. These are things that could not happen to anybody at Hazelden or at any reputable licensed treatment center."

Another longtime Hazelden employee, Carol Colleran, asserts that "98 percent of that book is false" in the way it describes treatment procedures at Hazelden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/books/24frey.html?_r=2

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be stupid enough to write a book that has falsified facts that could easily be challenged and refuted. I have to wonder if all this controversy is somehow orchestrated in order to attract attention and sell more copies? and as for the "experts" on Oprah and other talk shows, I wonder if they're paid for their appearances-after all, why would you want to give out free advice on national TV? Unless you have a book of your own to sell and want to give out free "samples" of your wisdom.

There's some frivolous lawsuit in Seattle brought by two people vs. Frey, saying they want to be compensated for wasted time reading the book. Ha ha. If only . . .

Back