• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jane Austen

I absolutely love Jane Austen -- partly because she just wrote so well, partly for a look into the morals and customs of a different time, and partly (maybe mostly) for the wealth of entertaining minor characters.

Charlotte Lucas from P&P, for instance, just fascinates me and I'd love to find out that someone has done a story, or even a book, on her.

Just on a slight side-note, the only thing I liked about the most recent movie version of P&P was the sight of Donald Sutherland in a tricorn hat. Other than that, the movie played much to modern for me.

My favorite Austen is Persuasion, probably because I identify with the frustrated but long-suffering Anne. The 1995 movie version with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds was beautifully done.

I read Northanger Abbey recently. She did a good job of undercutting the Gothic novel and how people take books too seriously, neglecting reality. Also, John Thorpe is an asshole.

Back