• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jane Austen

Rogue

I'm just reading Sense and Sensibility and it is so much fun! I love Austen's books for all the irony and humor.

Lucy was naturally clever; her remarks were often just and amusing; and as a companion for half an hour Elinor frequently found her agreeable; but her powers had received no aid from education: she was ignorant and illiterate; and her deficiency of all mental improvement, her want of imformation in the most common particulars, could not be concealed from Miss Dashwood, in spite of her constant endeavour to appear to advantage.

:D :D :D

Sense and sensibility seemed to be a little more sentimental and more familyal to me. What do you think?

Have you ever tried the Little Women, Gizmo? :D

Talked to u later. Goodnight.

Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition.
She's pretty nasty! :D

I'm not quiet convinced about Sense and Sensibility being soooo sentimental. For sure it's stuffed with some nasty/ dumb characters. I don't like John Dashwood and his wife. They behave so hideous. The 2 Miss Steeles are pretty dumb and Lucy seems to act vicious on purpose.
At the moment I've read 230 pages out of 350 and I'm pretty curious what will happen with Elinor and Edward.
Little Woman is on my to-read-list! Is it good?
After Sense and Sensibility I'll tackle Emma and then Richard III.

I agree with you that Sense and Sensibility isn't very sentimental. The characters are downright vulgar and
neither Elinor or Maryanne get married to really great guys.

You haven't finished it yet Gizmo, so I won't tempt you to read a spoiler that will reveal who ends up with whom. All I can say was that it makes sense, but it isn't very romantic.

If you want a sweet and sentimental Jane Austen story, read Pride and Prejudice. It's my favourite by her.

I read Pride and Prejudice, and I liked it. Several years ago, I decided to read some of the classics, and this was one of them. Little Women I had some problems with because some of it did not make sense to me. Maybe the time period when it was written should be taken into consideration, and I read it a long time ago.

I just finished Sense and Sensibility and I didn't like it that much.
The end sounded kind of desperate. Austen married the girls off in a hurry (it took her only 20 pages out of 350).
Furthermore the characters are pretty naughty and all the boys are idiots.
They are wooing every girl they meet although they are already secretly engaged to somebody else.

That's exactly what wrecked it for me too. It was great, right up until they get married.

***Spoiler Warning***

Edward is shown as such a virtuous man for going through with marrying a woman he doesn't love... but I see it kind of differently. It looks to me like he played with Elinor's emotions and cheated of Lucy with her. And then when things didn't work out for them, he went running to Elinor to save face.

Maryanne was a big baby, although I could understand her to some extent - until she decides to marry a man twice her age.

Ou Be Low hoo said:
Jane Austen's novels are for girls.
Cut the crap!

Outline the reasons for your opinion or leave it.

Giving us these stereotyped little teaser lines is quiet insulting to every attempt of a serious discussion.

In which way are they all the same?

What has Bridget Jones to do with a discussion about Jane Austen?

Why do you think they are books for girls?

When you didn't like them, why did you read 3 books by Austen?

What part of "outline the reasons for your opinion" didn't you understand?

Gizmo said:
What part of "outline the reasons for your opinion" didn't you understand?

Ooo...Bold type! I understood it all!

Which part of 'Teenage titillation for the non-testosteroned' didn't you understand?

I had to read them because they were part of my course. You should try Thomas Hardy - he's like Austen, but with bells between his legs.

Ou Be Low hoo said:
Teenage titillation for the non-testosteroned.
That's your opinion. Now give us reasons.

Example
Opinion: All the boys in Sense and Sensibility are idiots.
Reason:
They are wooing every girl they meet although they are already secretly engaged to somebody else.

Ou Be Low hoo said:
Gizmo said:
All the boys in Sense and Sensibility are idiots.
Reason:

^ My reasons exactly...

Teenage titillation for the non-testosteroned.

Yawn...semantics.

Note to myself: Ou Be Low hoo isn't worth a discussion.

By the way try to copy the whole spoiler cause this may be read by members who plan to read Sense and Sensibility in the future.

You type a note to yourself!?!?!?!?! Weird...

I can state my opinion any which way I like. I get a little bored of repitition repitition repitition repitition, etc.

Back