• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jasper Fforde

I live in the smallest town in one of the smallest countries in Europe. I don't think our library will have Jasper Fforde. :(

This is our library:
awww.aspenhouseleland.com_images_scrapbook_shed.jpg

:p :p

Cheers, Martin :D

You sure thats not some kind of inter-dimensional portal, and that when you step inside you enter an absolutely huge library??? Cos, as it is, im not actually sure you could fit ANY books in there!! (and we all know what sort of books they'd be, its Holland after all ;) Informative reading im sure!! :D )

Nice building though!

Phil :)

Now I know that's not your library, because that is the house my great-grandfather built :) (Ok, not really, but this building is almost identical to the house, down to the peeling off paint).

Well i finished Lost in a Good Book yesterday (coincidentally, i started it yesterday too!! :D) - it was a little slow to get going, but when it kicked into full swing it was every bit as good as the first. Now im moving onto the third, Well of Lost Plots, which seems to be a bit of a departure from the other too, moving away from the 'Real' world and exploring the Literary world which was introduced in a little depth in the second book.

As a side note, i'd say that it really would be helpful to have read the first before moving onto the second and the third - not absolutely necessary, but it would certainly help avoid confusion :)

Phil

Cool! I recently bought The Eyre Affair, and I already owned The Well of Lost Plots, so all I need now is Lost in a Good Book, and I'm off!

Thanks for the info, Phil!

Just got through Well of Lost Plots, every bit as great as the first two, the change of scenery was a nice break, having read them as a straight series all the way through. The litarary world that is explored in this book is just a fantastic and fascinating creation - the way Fforde uses famous chracters in his stories is brilliant :)

Even better, the fourth is out in just 4 months or so!! Yay :cool:

Phil

Even better, the fourth is out in just 4 months or so!! Yay
Really? Damn!

This Fforde-feller writes 'em faster than I can read 'em!

Not that I mind!

Melter said:
there's an opportunity to have a question answered by Jasper Fforde and Eugene Byrne at my site.

In this interview Fforde talks about working on another Thursday Next novel. So there must be a fourth in the series. This is good news. I've only read The Eyre Affair so far, but really enjoyed it and am very much looking forward to continuing the series.

I don't normally go for this sort of thing. I've never read, or felt particularly attracted to "Alice in Wonderland" for example. So why this worked for me I'm not really sure. It is quite touching in places, perhaps that helps? Maybe it is the raiding of literary history that really interests me? I guess I am also interested in the notion of the powers that be being in the pocket of the morally bankrupt Goliath Corporation - now that part rings true!

You know the guy - the author of the Thursday Next series, which has been labeled 'the adult Harry Potter', which, I assume, is a good thing.

□□□ □□□ □□□ □□□ □□□
Novels written:

The Eyre Affair:

There is another 1985, somewhere in the could-have-been, where the Crimean war still rages, dodos are regenerated in home-cloning kits and everyone is deeply disappointed by the ending of 'Jane Eyre'. In this world there are no jet-liners or computers, but there are policemen who can travel across time, a Welsh republic, a great interest in all things literary - and a woman called Thursday Next. In this utterly original and wonderfully funny first novel, Fforde has created a fiesty, loveable heroine and a plot of such richness and ingenuity that it will take your breath away.

Lost In A Good Book:

Thursday Next, literary detective and newlywed is back to embark on an adventure that begins, quite literally on her own doorstep. It seems that Landen, her husband of four weeks, actually drowned in an accident when he was two years old. Someone, somewhere, sometime, is responsible. The sinister Goliath Corporation wants its operative Jack Schitt out of the poem in which Thursday trapped him, and it will do almost anything to achieve this - but bribing the ChronoGuard? Is that possible? Having barely caught her breath after The Eyre Affair, Thursday must battle corrupt politicians, try to save the world from extinction, and help the Neanderthals to species self-determination. Mastadon migrations, journeys into Just William, a chance meeting with the Flopsy Bunnies, and violent life-and-death struggles in the summer sales are all part of a greater plan. But whose? and why?

The Well Of Lost Plots:

Leaving Swindon behind her to hide out in the Well of Lost Plots (the place where all fiction is created), Thursday Next, Literary Detective and soon-to-be one parent family, ponders her next move from within an unpublished book of dubious merit entitled 'Caversham Heights'. Landen, her husband, is still eradicated, Aornis Hades is meddling with Thursday's memory, and Miss Havisham - when not sewing up plot-holes in 'Mill on the Floss' - is trying to break the land-speed record on the A409. But something is rotten in the state of Jurisfiction. Perkins is ‘accidentally' eaten by the minotaur, and Snell succumbs to the Mispeling Vyrus. As a shadow looms over popular fiction, Thursday must keep her wits about her and discover not only what is going on, but also who she can trust to tell about it ...

Something Rotten:

Thursday Next, Head of JurisFiction and ex-SpecOps agent, returns to her native Swindon accompanied by a child of two, a pair of dodos and Hamlet, who is on a fact-finding mission in the real world. Thursday has been despatched to capture escaped Fictioneer Yorrick Kaine but even so, now seems as good a time as any to retrieve her husband Landen from his state of eradication at the hands of the Chronoguard. It's not going to be easy. Thursday's former colleagues at the department of Literary Detectives want her to investigate a spate of cloned Shakespeares, the Goliath Corporation are planning to switch to a new Faith based corporate management system and the Neanderthals feel she might be the Chosen One who will lead them to genetic self-determination. With help from Hamlet, her uncle and time-travelling father, Thursday faces the toughest adventure of her career.

□□□ □□□ □□□ □□□ □□□

Personally, I've only read The Eyre Affair, sofar, but I absolutely loved it, so very clever and original. I already own parts 2 and 3, too, and will own part 4 (Something Rotten) as soon as it's released, in paperback, by New English Library.

This Fforde-feller is one to watch.

Cheers

I'm sure you're doing this to annoy me :mad: I was reading the first few chapters of the Eyre Affair in the library yesterday and enjoying it. Of course it turned out I'd forgotten my library card :eek:

It did seem to have that Pullman thing where it dripfeeds you information making you want more.

I've just read The Eyre Affair and The Well of Lost Plots and I think these are two gorgeous books.
Some passages made me chuckle and people looked at me bewilderd.
I loved the Rage Counselling Session in Wuthering Heights!
:D :D

"Do You have unicorns?" I asked.
"Yes." Perkins sighed. "Sack-loads. More than I know what to do with. I wish potential writers would be more responsible with their creations. I can understand children writing about them, but adults should know better. Every unicorn in every demolished story ends up here. I had this idea for a bumper sticker. "A unicorn isn't for page twenty-seven, it's for eternity." What do you think?"
"I think you won't be able to stop people writing about them. How about taking the horn off and seeking replacement in pony books?"
"I'll pretend I didn't hear that", replied Perkins stonily [...]

What do you think?

Time to revive this old lady.

As stated earlier in this thread, I love everything Jasper Fforde does - his Thursday Next novels are the funniest and most amusing novels I have read in a long long time. So, imagine my surprise when I found yet another book by this good old Brit.

The Big Over Easy

The bad news - it appears that Fforde is done with the maniacal bending of the narrative forms of his Jurisfiction novels.

The good news - this appears to be the first in a new series of books, telling the story of the Nursery Crime Division. Expect a crime thriller revolving around nursery rhymes.

I'm only halfway through Fforde's Jurisfiction series (mainly because I don't want to read them for fear of actually finishing them and never being able to read them for a first time ever again), but already I can't wait to read this new creation.

Anyone read this already?

Cheers

Birthday coming up soon. (kids have asked me what i want, silly question!!)
I've heard good things about both Jasper Fforde & Malcolm Pryce and i was thinking of putting them on my list.

The Ayre Affair- J Fforde
Aberystwyth Mon Amour - M Pryce

Is the two i'll start with, anybody read them or any other books by them?

I did read the Eyre Affair awhile back and enjoyed it, I've not managed to get to the second in the series yet.

Actually it's "The Eyre Affair" - as in Jane Eyre. Haven't read Pryce, but Fforde is hilarious, especially if you know your way around classic literature; it's very meta.

What a coincidence. Just yesterday on an Auto Racing forum, a long standing friend of mine whom I discuss books with, recommended Fforde to me. She had good things to say about his books. She was also the person that, years ago, put me onto Terry Pratchett.

I have read The Eyre Affair and I really enjoyed it. I didn't realise that there was another one after that - what is it called?

Back