• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jean M. Auel

I loved the first 3 books, when I first read them. I think I was in my mid to late teens, and I just thought they were superb. A few years ago, I decided to re-read them, and I was very disappointed. :rolleyes: Well, the first book was ok, but the second one - The Valley Of Horses - was just so contrived and corny, that I never finished it.

To be honest...I skimmed through or totally skipped over the Jondalar parts of "The Valley of the Horses" because I found them (or should I say...him) so boring. I loved the Ayla parts though, and liked the rest of the book once the two meet face to face (even though his character greatly annoys me much of the time).

Have you heard? I'm positive you have: Another Auel novel is coming soon to a book seller near you.

I do not know how to feel about it. Her last novel in the series, so I've heard, was horrific! I'm not at all excited to be honest. Ooh well, I thought that some of you might want to know about the new release.

...and, I almost forgot, the name of the new book is The Land of Painted Caves.

__

These books are okay as stories as long as the reader is not looking for actual historical or anthropological facts, as they are very inaccurate. Horses were not domesticated until many thousands of years after the time of novels, and also women did not do the things that Ayal does in these books during the time period, according to anthropologists.

I discovered this bit of news a few months ago when "The Land of Painted Caves" pre-order popped up on Amazon.com's front page.

I'm excited to read the long-overdue conclusion of the series, and happy that she didn't dump the finale like I was afraid she would do...however, I am still weary of reading it. The SoS was disappointing (not horrible, but not as good as it should have been), and Auel did a lot of lazy lazy writing in that one that I fear she might do again in this final book.

I shy away from spoiler-ridden reviews, and think I'll borrow a copy rather than purchase it.

I would not say she is not good at research. The inaccuracies in the story are
mostly not her fault. Since the book was written in eighties, much more information about prehistoric people has been discovered which shows that some things in her story are not factual. However this is not her fault. She could only write about information available to her at the time.

Back