• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jeff Lindsay: Dearly Devoted Dexter

avidfanftw

I stumbled across this fantastic book, "Dearly Devoted Dexter", by Jeff Lindsay. Ok I know that the title sounds more than corney, but this book will leave you with laughter and a cold chill all at the same time. Seriously great book.
avid;)

This second book was excellent. As I mentioned in the first book's thread, I hadn't read Darkly Dreaming Dexter in two years and that seemed just fine while reading this one. It was easy just jumping in. The main "killer" of the book (Dex excluded) was so interesting. his technique was insane and of course drove his victims insane. Dexter was hilarious. I loved it when Dexter referred to the victims as
squealing pillows, or yodeling potatoes, etc. (or something like that)
. Made me actually laugh out loud.

I liked this a lot better than the first one, but it wasn't very suspenseful. I was not on the edge of my seat.

Also, Dexter isn't as likable in the book as he is in the show.

What did you think about
Cody & Astor having their own dark passengers
?

I hadn't realised there was also a thread for the second book...

I loved that detail. I think it can originate a very interesting plot line for the next books. It was also interesting to see Dexter empathize with someone,
especially when he's drowning in the car and his "last thoughts" go to Cody. So maybe there's at least a little bit of humanity in him?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the middle of "Dearly Devoted Dexter." and just bought two Inspector Morse books form a charity shop "The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn."and "The Remorsefull Day."

I love this show as well...I should have known it was based on a book. I would like to know the order as well so I can purchase these.

Can anyone tell me the order in which the Dexter books were written? I'd like to read them in the correct sequence.

I'm sure you have found it by now:
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Dearly Devoted Dexter
Dexter in the Dark (slightly disappointing)
Dexter by Design
Dexter is Delicious (not out yet)

The second book is indeed very good.
Cody's passenger was a really good idea but it isnt handled so well in the following books I'm afraid. and I have to agree the climax isnt as good as in the first one. The gore parts are great and so original.

Back