• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jeffrey Pfeffer: Power: Why Some People Have It and Others Don't

SFG75

This was the first kindle book that I read on my great anniversary present.:flowers: Jeffrey Pfeffer maintains there main things:

1.)It is folly to believe in the "just world" hypothesis. In other words, people do not play fair. You must get into the competitive game if you want better income, overall health, and success at work.

2.)You MUST self-promote yourself to your boss. Performance is poorly coordinated with tenure at a job. What matters is the boss's opinion of you. Nine times out of ten, the boss does not concern themselves with your performance. You have to create an image where when they think of you, they think of excellence and hard work.

3.)Act like you want it. People who were perceived to be angry were thought of as being more powerful and authoritative. Those who were sad or withdrawn, well, I think that would be obvious. Interruption is a key element of this and you can use it to your advantage with peers and even with your boss at certain times. The way that you carry yourself is another tell tale sign. Research conclusively shows that first impressions determine who gets employed, who keeps their jobs, and that these perceptions are almost impossible to change.

This book is clearly more appropriate for the corporate setting and most of the stories dealt with CEO infighting and the cut-throat competition at the corporate level. At the same time, it is informative in that yes, you can not assume that there is a level playing field for everyone and that yes, you need to engage in a good psychological scruff with your fellow employees when it comes to gaining favor from the boss or to claim your own territory from encroachment from other departments. This book is very Machiavellian and the author makes no apologies for that. He says you should just accept the nature of the workplace as being competitive and not for those who lack heart and initiative. The question is rather simple-will you, or will you not, do what it takes to succeed?

Power amazon link.

Back