• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jell-o & Cool Whip Pie

Irene Wilde

"Just let it go….it isn't worth it," I told myself, shaking off a recurring dream that had visited me in the night.

I'd found myself in that same little neighborhood in Baldwin Park, even though I've been back there and I know the whole place has been torn down and replaced with a mini-mall covered in beige stucco and signs written almost exclusively in Chinese. But in my dream it is always there, always unchanged. Several blocks of tract houses bordered north and south with elementary schools built in the 1940s, and on the west by railroad tracks. As children, we never ventured east. There seemed to be nothing there but more rows of little houses with white fences and sagging front porches of painted wood. I'm at the school on the northern boundary of what had been our territory on summer days that went on forever, playing until the street lights came on and a grown up would call for us from the porch of one particular little house, otherwise indistinguishable from the others.

So I am there again, where the gate creates a break in the fence around the school. That indistinguishable house is on one of those three streets opposite, but I'm never certain which. Instinct always guides me down the middle street, most directly opposite the rusted, padlocked, wrought iron gate. The houses are older now, shabbier than they were even then. The large trees lining the street seem wild and overgrown, but the shade they provide seems welcoming, not ominous. Nervous excitement makes my heart pound. I know I appear very calm on the outside, even though the street is deserted and there’s no audience to observe my bravery. It was somewhere in the middle of the block, I think…closer to the other school this one, because we always played there. The house across the street was pink and had a banana tree in the front yard. We would get in trouble for plucking the heavy flat leaves off to use as playthings. "Would they remember that? Would they remember me? Does really matter anymore?"

I see the house. Still the same green and white. A sparse lawn of half dead grass, a weedy looking willow tree almost obscuring a porch lined with potted cacti, to the right a drive leading back to where we used to play on the clothesline until a grown up would chase us off. I wonder if the clothesline is still there. "The old people are probably dead by now," I think. "It was foolish to come back here."

I stand on the cracked and uneven sidewalk debating the point of going forward and seeking the courage to knock on the front door. I square my shoulders and move up the walk, curiosity overcoming fear. I put on my game face, smiling and forcing myself to project a confidence I don't feel. There are just a few more steps to take and maybe I'll solve the biggest mystery of my life.

The front door is open and there seems to be a gathering of some type going on in the tiny living room. The décor is lighter and more cheery than I remember, yet it seems to have stood still in time. It is still a living room of the 1960s, not of the 21st century. At first glance I can tell that these people are all family to one another. It must be someone’s birthday or anniversary. But none of the faces are familiar to me. "They moved. They're dead. You've wasted your time," my common sense tells me, and I experience a mix of relief and disappointment.

I'm ready to move away from the door when someone in the house notices me. I introduce myself and explain that I used to know someone who lived here, many years ago. They were my grandparents, though not exactly. I used to play here as child. There were two children, a boy and girl…

"We've lived here more than fifty years," says an old woman with thinning gray hair, wearing a simple green-checked dress and bedroom slippers. There isn't anything familiar about her. Shouldn't there be some sense of recognition, even after all these years? I start over, addressing myself directly to her.

"My name is Irene Wilde. My father was married to a woman named Chloe. She had two children, John and Nichola, who everyone called by her second name, Amber…" I begin to explain, hope rising within me, a tremble starting in my right arm. I clinch my hand into a fist to keep it from shaking.

"Chloe's here," the old woman, who is really Grandma Garnet even if she doesn’t look like her, announces. "She's sleeping in the back room. I'll go get her."

"No!" I think. "Not her! I don’t want to see her!" my brain screams. "The children! I only came to see the children!" I want to rush to stop her, but I can't make myself move. I can't call out. A group of people emerge from the kitchen blocking my view of the door that leads into the bedrooms. I try to assure myself it will be ok. I can face her. She is old now and I am grown -- a mother myself. A better mother and strong, too. I can face her.

One of the other people in the room explains to me that John and Amber won't be there today. I can no longer think clearly enough to think to ask for addresses or telephone numbers. Even to ask how they are, how they grew up, are they okay. I am mute and paralyzed -- only my eyes seem capable of moment --looking both for Chloe and for a way out. The old woman returns.

"She says she tired and can't come out," my one-time grandma tells me. "Typical," I think. "I was her daughter for nearly seven years. But still I'm not good enough. Sight unseen, I'm not good enough."

I leave and walk back toward where, in my dream, the old movie theater still stands. And in my dream, I still hurt. The woman who filled the void after my mother died. The woman who used to make potato candy and Jell-o & Cool Whip pie. The woman who beat me when I was six years old, knocking me out of my shoes and into the refrigerator door. The woman who scarred my back when she slapped me and I fell against the sharp edge of a bathroom cabinet. The woman whose children I called brother and sister for all those years. The woman who left us. The woman who disappeared, taking John and Amber with her, with no good-bye. The woman who tried to cover my bruises with make up she got from the Avon Lady so I looked presentable enough to go to school. She is best left sleeping unseen in a backroom.

"Just let it go….it isn’t worth it," I told myself.

A Post-Script

It took me years to find the recipe for potato candy. My latest attempt at a Jell-o & Cool Whip pie from two nights ago was still not right. I’ll have to look for another recipe to try. I’ve gone through three or four. I’ve tried over the years to find John and Amber with less success than the Jell-o & Cool Whip recipe. And mystery of why, out of four children in the house, Chloe only beat me, I can only hope she has taken to her grave.

hey, i don't know if we even met yet, but i really liked your piece. It has character and a good choice of words. i liked the last part the best, it painted pictures that i just can't get out of my head. i hope you will write a lot more!
bye

I have posted other pieces before. If you go back through the archives, you'll find most of them. One I know I moved to a safer location than this, because here I'm considered so pretty and popular (that's sarcasm, that is) that I worried for its well-being.

Hi Irene! What impressed me the most was the realism of the locale. YOUR HEART WAS IN IT! I think that's what made a success of Steinbeck's "Cannery Row". Keep it up! :)

Irene Wilde said:
I have posted other pieces before. If you go back through the archives, you'll find most of them. One I know I moved to a safer location than this, because here I'm considered so pretty and popular (that's sarcasm, that is) that I worried for its well-being.

Yeah if you think where it is now it is safer, it was a good decision! you know, i hope you don't give a shit what the other persons think of you, that would mess you up... oh and by the way i like che guevara!

My Warholian image of "Che" (not to be confused with the real individual, who was much more complicated, based on my limited knowledge, than an image on a silk screen) as a joking representation of a revolution for fun, a concept I picked up, via Mott the Hoople, from DH Lawrence ("A Sane Revolution"). BTW -- I really do read a great number of books, and Lawrence is another of my favorite authors. I'd recommend "Sons and Lovers" to anyone interested.

And no, I really can't be troubled with what others think. I have plenty of issues with what I think about myself, and none of my critics here are as hard on me as me.

Irene Wilde said:
And no, I really can't be troubled with what others think. I have plenty of issues with what I think about myself, and none of my critics here are as hard on me as me.

that what i said, good for you! what books do you like? (oh,sorry to turn you thread into a personel conversation :eek: )

Not a problem. It's nice to have normal conversation. My favorite is probably "Ulysses." Pynchon's "Crying of Lot 49" is one of the best books I've ever read, every one of it's few pages packed with imagery and imagination. I love Faulkner, of course, and I think everyone should read "As I Lay Dying" at least once. Henry Miller is fantastic and "Tropic of Cancer" literally changed my idea of what a novel could be. Phillipe Alfau's "Locos" and Italo Calvino's "Cosmicomics" are two wonderful books that play with structure and contain very lyrical language. My favorite poets are probably Pablo Neruda, Dylan Thomas, and Charles Bukowski.

Right now I'm reading "Crime & Punishment," a recommendation from <sorry, I can't mention the name while I'm under a flag of truce> who usually has excellent taste in literature. However, I'm finding it slow going and I have strong urge to smack the main character upside the head. However, there is something hypnotic in how it is written which keeps drawing me back to it.

Oh. And I have a wonderful chum with a flair for poetry, whose blog is:

Pieces of 8

this page is cool, thanks! i think my favorite is THE COLOR OF WATER, but i'm not soo sure, i just swept over it, i will go back later and read them carefully!

do you have a favorite poem?

If you find a ditty called "Mulatto Woman" -- think that's my chum's best work.

My favorite poem is actually by e.e. cummings, "somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond." Of course, I like it best for purely personal reasons. It goes:

somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience,your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look will easily unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully,mysteriously)her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
my life will shut very beautifully ,suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility:whose texture
compels me with the color of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens;only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands

Now what about you? Do you have favorite poets? Have you read any Billy Collins (a fine poet I neglected earlier)? Do you ever read plays? Thomas' "Under Milk Wood" is fabulous and Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" is sensational (there's a fine film version with Gary Oldman and Tim Roth back when they were both younger men).

Irene Wilde said:
Now what about you? Do you have favorite poets? Have you read any Billy Collins (a fine poet I neglected earlier)? Do you ever read plays? Thomas' "Under Milk Wood" is fabulous and Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" is sensational (there's a fine film version with Gary Oldman and Tim Roth back when they were both younger men).

no i only read shakespeare plays, but if you think they are good, maybe i will check them out.

I don't really have a favorite poem yet, except one in german, but i'm kinda too lazy to translate it and then would the spirit go away!
i like poems they are not really by professionells, like when you look into magazines there are some nice ones!
what music do you like?

honeydevil said:
no i only read shakespeare plays, but if you think they are good, maybe i will check them out.

I don't really have a favorite poem yet, except one in german, but i'm kinda too lazy to translate it and then would the spirit go away!
i like poems they are not really by professionells, like when you look into magazines there are some nice ones!
what music do you like?

The two I mentioned are very good. And since Stoppard's is a sort of alternative version of "Hamlet" I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Translation are tricky, aren't they? I've read different translations of Rimaud and Neruda and they can really give a poem a different tone, a different shading, depending on the word selection. I still wish I'd managed to learn at least one additional language (ok, everyone can start the jokes about my not even knowing English) so I could read some authors in their original language.

Music...are you sure you want me to start on that? :) Naturally, with a name like "Irene Wilde," I'm a big fan of Ian Hunter/Mott the Hoople. Beyond that, I'm vary diverse in my musical tastes. For the last few months I've been on a real Beethoven binge, but I still manage to sprinkle in some of my favorites like Billy Bragg, Michelle Shocked, Frank Sinatra, Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Rickie Lee Jones, The Rolling Stones, Mozart, DeBussy, Vivaldi. You know...the usual. :)

You?

Irene Wilde said:
The two I mentioned are very good. And since Stoppard's is a sort of alternative version of "Hamlet" I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Translation are tricky, aren't they? I've read different translations of Rimaud and Neruda and they can really give a poem a different tone, a different shading, depending on the word selection. I still wish I'd managed to learn at least one additional language (ok, everyone can start the jokes about my not even knowing English) so I could read some authors in their original language.

Music...are you sure you want me to start on that? :) Naturally, with a name like "Irene Wilde," I'm a big fan of Ian Hunter/Mott the Hoople. Beyond that, I'm vary diverse in my musical tastes. For the last few months I've been on a real Beethoven binge, but I still manage to sprinkle in some of my favorites like Billy Bragg, Michelle Shocked, Frank Sinatra, Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Rickie Lee Jones, The Rolling Stones, Mozart, DeBussy, Vivaldi. You know...the usual. :)

You?

i'm not really into classic, but i enjoy rolling stones...etc. my favorite is rock, punkrock, and reggae...bob marley can make your hollidays sweet... :D

As I read your reply, I was listening to Joey Ramone's "What a Wonderful World." :)

The coffee shop I used to stop in on the way to work used to play reggae every Wednesday, it was like taking a little vacation before facing the reality of work.

And if I may venture a recommendation:

The album is called "Reconstruction Site" the band is a Canadian outfit called "The Weakerthans" -- a marriage of very literate lyrics to a sort of grownup garage band sound. Special recommendation to the song "Plea from a Cat Named Virtue."

Irene Wilde said:
And if I may venture a recommendation:

The album is called "Reconstruction Site" the band is a Canadian outfit called "The Weakerthans" -- a marriage of very literate lyrics to a sort of grownup garage band sound. Special recommendation to the song "Plea from a Cat Named Virtue."

sounds good, i'll see if i check it out! until then tell me if you have a favorite song... :D

One favorite song??? That's hard. No, I don't think I can keep to one.

But here's one of them. It's Mott the Hoople, from the "Mott" album. Lyrics by Ian Hunter.

I Wish I Was Your Mother

I scream at you for sharing
'n I curse you just for caring
I hate the clothes you're wearing, they're so pretty
'n I tell to not to see me
'n I tell you not to feel me
'n I make your life a drag, it's such a pity

'n I watch your warm glow palin'
'n I watch your sparkle fadin'
As you realise you're failin', cos you're so good
Now I don't mean to upset you
But there's so much crime to get through
If only I could make it easier, then I would

Oh I wish I was your mother
I wish I'd been your father
'n then I would have seen you
Would have been you as a child
Played houses with your sisters
And wrestled with all your brothers
And then who knows
I might have felt a family for a while

It's no use me pretendin'
You give and I do the spendin'
Is there a happy ending, I don't think so
Cos even if we make it
I'll be too far out to take it
You'll have to try and shake it from my head

Oooooh I wish I was your mother
I wish I'd been your father
'n then I would have seen you
Would have been you as a child
Played houses with your sisters
And wrestled with all your brothers
And then who knows
I might have felt a family for a while

:D
Irene Wilde said:
One favorite song??? That's hard. No, I don't think I can keep to one.

But here's one of them. It's Mott the Hoople, from the "Mott" album. Lyrics by Ian Hunter.

Okay favorite song was a bad word choice for what i wanted to say. What i mean is one song that really touched you, you like the lyrics..., i think you knew what i couldn't express...

anyway the lyric sounds sad and it made me thinking!!

Back