• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jet Trails

Libre

I've always wondered why some jets leave smoke or vapor trails when they're flying and some don't.
Anybody know?
And, while we're on the subject, are those trails smoke or vapor, or something else?

Are we talking about the little jet airplanes or the commercial jet liners? This is important to the answer of the question!

Interesting! There are often contrails in the sky behind my house, I like to watch jets as they leave the trails and they get biggger before they dissipate. I'm assuming they're coming and going from the airport. After 9/11 when air traffic was suspended, I saw contrails going in an entirely different direction, probably planes going to and from an air force base.

Good article about the chemtrail conspiracy theory. There is also a link at the bottom of Occlith's Wiki link that has more detail about it. Definitely entertaining if you are bored.

Wow - thanks for that link, Occlith.
I'm surprised Stewart hasn't shown up telling me that google is a wonderful thing.
It is a wonderful thing - but so is asking a question in a public forum to see what others think.

emptyparkinglot, I was referring mainly to large commercial airliners. I live close to JFK airport and am thus exposed to a high volume of such traffic.

From Occlith's link, I learned that the contrails are both exhaust and vapor - the exhaust from the engines (which hang around a long time) and the vapor from the wing tips (which dissipate quite quickly).

The question remains for me, why some jets leave these contrails while other's don't. On a walk yesterday, I observed many jetliners flying at various altitudes. Most were leaving visible contrails while many were not. I could not correlate the apparant altitude or speed with the presence or absence of these trails.

Just another of life's little mysteries, I guess.

Interesting thing about contrails, is that since I moved to the UK I've been seeing them everywhere. :eek: It's as though every freaking plane has a contrail here. :eek: Back home in Australia, I'd only see them occassionally. I'm so impressed by them, I point them out everytime I see them. :eek:

Back