• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jhumpa Lahiri: The Namesake

Maya said:
Planning on seeing it?
I don't think so. I am not into movies that much. I keep re-watching the old Hindi movies, but try to avoid the new ones. And considering that its a Mira Nair (who I dont like and people just adore), I might avoid it altogether.

Maya said:
Me toooooooooo! I'll borrow it from the library sometime soon, and let you know what I thought of it, (if and oooooonly if you tell your views too). :p
Sure Maya. I will let you know after I read it :)

Thanks clueless. I'll give it a try and see what I think of it. :)

sanyuja said:
I don't think so. I am not into movies that much. I keep re-watching the old Hindi movies, but try to avoid the new ones. And considering that its a Mira Nair (who I dont like and people just adore), I might avoid it altogether.
I've never heard of Mira Nair... not much into movies myself either, but I have seen some, including hindi ones. And let me just tell you this "Mohabbatein" had nice songs and all but the movie sucked! People think I didn't get it, what was there to get? And "Devdas": Gross! Plus "Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham" which Hrithik and Kareena ruined!
How old are the Hindi movies you're re-watching? Surely not back to the time when they were black&white? (Those women, when they sing, it's like my ears will get "shattered", seriously. I'm telling you listening to opera is far better). Ooops, getting off-topic. Err.. wonder if Gogol listened to Hindi music or wachted Hindi films. :eek:

sanyuja said:
Sure Maya. I will let you know after I read it :)
Thank you. :D

Hey sanyuja,
finished up "The Overcoat" yesterday, and found it to be really great! I'm defenitly going to look more into his "works". Very well-drawn characters, especially the main one. Wonderful way to "tell a story", it's like listening to someone telling you it, if you understand what I mean. I think you'll be amazed, if not much maybe little? :p It has to do with loneliness and the vulnerable individual- among some other things, (of what I understood).
So you have a great read in wait, look forward to it. ;)

I just finished the book, and I liked it very much. I really loved her descriptions of people, places and the feelings of the characters, it was simple and familiar, you could really identify with the characters and yet never dull. The story was beautifully writen and not nearly as dry as I was afraid it would be.

I will definitely try to read more by her and I reserved the Overcoat by Gogol at the library as well.

If the movie comes out I would probably watch it but I don't think it would be good as the book, the story could come across as rather mundane, I think Lahiri's writing style really brought it to life and that may be lost in a movie.

Thanks Maya. I will try to read it as soon as possible. I doubt if my local library has it!

Good to know that you liked the book Ronny. Lahiri has a very different style of writing. I was very impressed by her writing style!

The best think I liked about the book is its ending. The book ends at the right moment with right note.

sanyuja said:
The best think I liked about the book is its ending. The book ends at the right moment with right note.

Ack. I didn’t know there was a thread for this book; otherwise I wouldn’t have ranted on the ‘just read’ thread.
Anyway, weeks later I am still, even moreso, 100% convinced, while the ending was ok; it should have been, easily, 100 pages sooner.

I see a movie of this book being entirely pointless, boring and also missing the point of, you know, the bloody title of the book.
But this is the world we live in; a writer is so desperate t caught up the “rights” to their books and my description of the potential movie sounds fitting for damn near everything else that ends up on film anyway…

Those looking into Gogol will see the importance of choosing a title for the work it is to represent.
j

jay said:
Ack. I didn’t know there was a thread for this book; otherwise I wouldn’t have ranted on the ‘just read’ thread.
Look at me! I started this thread and still continued to discuss in the 'just finished' thread.

Its what you discuss that matters - not where. :rolleyes:

I know, jay. The movie is going to be a bore. I am not even planning to watch it. Somehow, I could never appreciate any movie that was made from a book. Not even one!

sanyuja said:
Look at me! I started this thread and still continued to discuss in the 'just finished' thread. - Its what you discuss that matters - not where.

Heh. Yeah, I don’t care so much, the only thing is that in those much larger threads things just get lost and sift away within hours. Not many will delve into an xxx page numbered thread to read old stuff and it’s harder to refer back to it.
Here, maybe a few others would have got into the themes you and I were getting into back then.

Somehow, I could never appreciate any movie that was made from a book. Not even one!

I really don’t pay attention to movies at all these days but I have noticed a small trend, and this may just be more in-line with the fact that much of contemporary writing is 1) really bad 2) (potentially/probably) written in hopes of a movie anyway - but flicks like “Fight Club”, taken from a half-decent but heavily flawed novel, and _Matchstick Men_ were decidedly better after the teams of screenwriters/directors/actors/producers/caterers, etc got their mitts on it.
But of course that’s a small percentage (and a bit dated) I cite compared to the ridiculous amount of movies that flood the market every week.

I agree, jay. Some books are written keeping in mind that they will be (should be) made into movies!

A quickie... I found a short story by Gogol named 'The Cloak'. It has a character by name Akaky Akakiyevich. Is this story same as 'The Overcoat'?

If yes, good for me! If not, well - I will try again.

Indeed. Just a twist on translation. Anyway, I meant to look into it when we first were talking about that it may be hard for you to find a copy…since the story is now in the public domain, the good ol’ WWW has it:

http://www.online-literature.com/gogol/1651/

Sadly they do not also have “The Nose”, which is also great stuff…
j

Maya said:
Hey sanyuja,
finished up "The Overcoat" yesterday, and found it to be really great! I'm defenitly going to look more into his "works". Very well-drawn characters, especially the main one. Wonderful way to "tell a story", it's like listening to someone telling you it, if you understand what I mean. I think you'll be amazed, if not much maybe little? :p It has to do with loneliness and the vulnerable individual- among some other things, (of what I understood).
So you have a great read in wait, look forward to it. ;)

Hey Maya, I read the short story and loved it. Yeah, the writing style is quite different. The main character is very strong. A very different story! Planning to read 'Dead Souls' next.

Read a few stories 'Interpreter of maladies' and to be honest, it gets quote boring. All the stories have the same basic theme - an NRI Indian (or family). I agree I liked the first few stories, but then it becomes so repetitive later. I admit I left the book unfinished.

I must admit I wasn't enthralled by this book. I actually prefer to not have too much description, but the lack of it in this book it was so detrimental that I failed to make a connection with the characters. The book wasn't a total loss but definitely not one of my favorites.

I have truly become a fan of this author's work.

I thought the book was quiet and understated -- but never monotonous or boring. It felt authentic - an honest look into the generation gap issue between new immigrants and the first-generation American children. The parents, newly immigrated to the U.S. are still deeply Bengali. The children, like so many first-generation Americans, are more deeply rooted in the country of their birth than the country of their parent's hearts. The very same traditions which give the immigrants (no matter which country they have left behind) their sense of belonging, identity, and security, serve only to hinder their children's desire to blend, to become part of the American scenery. Complicate this with an unusual naming tradition, in this case one gone a bit awry, and you have a newly hatched American burdened with a name that affects him deeply, opening a chasm between himself and the culture of his ancestors. I found it all very interesting.

And the train theme.... his father almost killed on one... meeting his first love on one.... learning of his wife's affair on one... constantly bringing him back into his parents world ... symbolism there somewhere...

Check out the movie version. It's actually very true to the book, and the colors of the culture bring it all to life beautifully.

Back