• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jimi Hendrix - say it isn't so....Un-American?

jenngorham said:
i wonder if jimi is somewhere laughing his guts out at this thread?

It's actually pretty amazing that, given the time period both racially, and homophobically, that Jimi did not end up getting the shit beaten out of him, before being killed for being a faggot/ni**er.......

Motokid said:
Jimi was not "Jimi" when his acting won him his freedom. He was just a black guy in the army, sporting quite the package (according to the folk lore), admitting to excessive masturbation and homosexual cravings....

There was nothing close to "special treatment because of who he was". It was 1962 when all that went down. He was just as Joe Nobody as any of us.

Sorry, Moto, what I have meant was WE ARE NOW TRYING to decide whether Jimi isn't immune to ordinary people's rutines, or he is to some extent like Mr. Bush, who can have his ways and get away with it.

Motokid said:
Does this thread appear heated?

OK, this is 147th reply to a question whether JH must be considered a coward (traitor, non-citizen etc.) or a person able to have his ways.
And not all of the answers I've seen (not much... not enough time to kill here) seemed all that fine to me.

leckert said:
Enlisting to avoid jail time, then claiming to be gay are not the acts of a "conscientious objector", but of a coward who should be tried as a draft dodger. (max penalty is $250,000, and 5 years in jail).
I was not commenting on this specific case. I believe Jimi only used his "get out of jail free" card. (Why wasnt he sent back to prison when he was judged unfit for the military?)

What i commented on was:

We elect them to make these decisions. We pay them to take the responsibility. If we don't like the decisions they make, then we need to replace them, but while they are in office, they are the Commander-In-Chief.

And i probably was influenced by this post by robert:

Robert said:
You're right, I don't have to agree and I might even protest. However, if my elected government believes that going to war is necessary to ensure the safety of our nation, then the right thing to do is support it. Even if my party lost the election, it?s still my elected government.

Basically sounds like if your president says we go to war, then you should obey even if you think his decision is wrong.

Maybe you didnt mean it that way but it sounded like it.

Sergo said:
Sorry, Moto, what I have meant was WE ARE NOW TRYING to decide whether Jimi isn't immune to ordinary people's rutines, or he is to some extent like Mr. Bush, who can have his ways and get away with it.
I'd say the same rules should apply to all; presumably this is your stance too?

Jimi Hendrix being a draft dodger doesn’t stop me liking or disliking his music as it’s relevant to him as a human but not as a musician. If however he was advocating going to war, either as a politician or as a private citizen, then that would be more relevant as he was being hypocritical in wanting people do something he was unwilling to do himself.

Robert said:
By the way, there are some trials going on in Gitmo. Please see the link...

Court questions Gitmo detainees' rights at trial

Well that was supposedly the first ever trial to be started there but it was halted because a federal Judge ruled the proceedings invalid under U.S. and international law.

Amnesty International has this to say about the supposedly "fair trials" in gitmo:

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/usa-250705-action-eng

The US military officers assigned as defense lawyers has protested against the way the trials are held. Saying among other things that the system gives GW Bush the power to be judge,jury and executioner in these trials.
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/02/27/wguan27.xml

Another interesting article on these "fair trials".
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/02/wtrial02.xml

*Edit*
I'll stay out of this from now on as its probably too political.

Kenny Shovel said:
I'd say the same rules should apply to all; presumably this is your stance too?

Of course. And so far as some fat cat's son wouldn't get to prison because of his father's money and then he will not have to go to war for the same reason, I cannot see that JH has done an absolutely wrong thing by dodging both.

As to the necessity to fight a war you think unjust... Yes, it is very pathetic, and quite a lot of books and films exploited this situation. But I do not think that a person in contemporary society should be held in the same position as hundreds years before. Essentially, that is what could make us different from the Muslim maniacs: some person told them to kill kyafirs - and they go and kill unquestioningly. If my president says I have to go and kill... say, Americans... How do you think, would I come of my own accord? If I think that is an unjust thing to do - I will try every means possible to dodge the unjust order.
If a person was paid to kill by his government - OK, he/she should have thought about it before signing the contract, but even then should be a possibility to return money, pay a penalty or something, and not to do what you think is wrong.

So: as I see it, it all sums up not to anarhy, but to a more just society, when the Chief of State has to think very thoroughly before declaring a war, taking into consideration what ordinary people would think and do.
I imagine that nobody would have doubted in the USA about whether to fight or not when it was Saddam who attacked America?
(Sorry, but can you say you genuinly cannot understand those who foolishly fights back in Iraq even now? What would you have done in their shoes?)

(Kenny, of course my questions are rhetorical, and not addressed to you)

This thread is just as heated as the 152 Harry Potter threads.

Should I stay out of this one, leckert?

Zolipara said:
Well that was supposedly the first ever trial to be started there but it was halted because a federal Judge ruled the proceedings invalid under U.S. and international law.

Amnesty International has this to say about the supposedly "fair trials" in gitmo:

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/usa-250705-action-eng

The US military officers assigned as defense lawyers has protested against the way the trials are held. Saying among other things that the system gives GW Bush the power to be judge,jury and executioner in these trials.
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/02/27/wguan27.xml

Another interesting article on these "fair trials".
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/02/wtrial02.xml

*Edit*
I'll stay out of this from now on as its probably too political.

Well, you have to start with one, now don't you? And don't fly Amnesty International by me, the way they are one has to wonder if they are owned and operated by terrorist organizations.

I know a couple of military judges, I'll have to remember to get their opinon on that article.

Robert said:
don't fly Amnesty International by me, the way they are one has to wonder if they are owned and operated by terrorist organizations.
Presumably you're not of the same opinion regarding the US military officers quoted?

Kenny Shovel said:
Presumably you're not of the same opinion regarding the US military officers quoted?

Almost as many people hate Amnesty International as they do the UN. Two worthless corrupt organizations that should be disbanded. As far as the Military Officer, I don’t know what to think. That’s why I’m thinking about asking one of my military judge acquaintances about it next time I cross paths with one.

Zolipara said:
I was not commenting on this specific case. I believe Jimi only used his "get out of jail free" card. (Why wasnt he sent back to prison when he was judged unfit for the military?)

What i commented on was:

And i probably was influenced by this post by robert:

Basically sounds like if your president says we go to war, then you should obey even if you think his decision is wrong.

Maybe you didnt mean it that way but it sounded like it.

I did mean it that way. If our Government decides that we need to go to war, and that it requires drafting an army to do so, then it is the obligation of those who are eligible to participate in that draft, or follow the appropriate procedures exempting them from the draft. Anything short of this is treason, and punishible by law.

If you have a philisophical difference of opinion with those leading the country to war, then you should absolutely voice that opinion. It is your duty to do so. However, that voicing of your opinion does not relieve you from the obligation to serve the country that has so well protected your right to free speech.

If I go before a judge and say "your honor, I do not agree with the posted speed limit signs, and, thus, as a conscientious objector, I refuse to obey them" he may be fair minded enough to say "good luck with your protest" before he awards me my fine and deducts points from my license.

We must obey ALL the laws, or face the consequences. If we disagree with them, there are appropriate measures to be taken to get them changed. Treason is not an honorable protest.

Robert said:
Almost as many people hate Amnesty International as they do the UN.
Is it everything they campaign about you dislike or just the bits you feel are unfairly criticising your country? I wouldn't have thought you would have too much problem with their criticism of Cuba or China, or indeed the reports condemning Saddam Hussein’s regime which were used as part of the justification for the 2003 invasion. Their ‘Stop violence against women’ campaign seems fair enough as well, unless it’s used as the cloak behind which hides a ‘worthless corrupt organization that should be disbanded’.

Robert said:
As far as the Military Officer, I don’t know what to think.
Yes, it is a puzzler.

Kenny Shovel said:
Is it everything they campaign about you dislike or just the bits you feel are unfairly criticising your country? I wouldn't have thought you would have too much problem with their criticism of Cuba or China, or indeed the reports condemning Saddam Hussein’s regime which were used as part of the justification for the 2003 invasion. Their ‘Stop violence against women’ campaign seems fair enough as well, unless it’s used as the cloak behind which hides a ‘worthless corrupt organization that should be disbanded’.

Yes, it is a puzzler.

Amnesty International is Synonymous with hypocrisy. They’ll criticize the US because they don’t like the cereal the prisoners are given, but they don’t say a damn thing when some of our soldiers are taken alive and tortured and killed. I have also never seen them object to genital mutilation.

aww, robert got sucked into the intellectual black hole too...

p.s., the only reason you hate people criticizing the US is because you're a product of it, paleface.
Robert said:
Amnesty International is Synonymous with hypocrisy. They’ll criticize the US because they don’t like the cereal the prisoners are given, but they don’t say a damn thing when some of our soldiers are taken alive and tortured and killed. I have also never seen them object to genital mutilation.

Kookamoor said:
I have some issues with Amnesty International as well, but it started with their hearts in the right place, and they do some good work.
Yeah, I'd roughly agree with that. I personally think they have to maintain a difficult balance of trying to be politically neutral whilst operating in a highly political area, and don't manage this anyway near as well as they should. Hence critics like Robert.

Kookamoor said:
I'm not entering this argument, I mean discussion
I'd hope this is a discussion rather than arguement. Personally I find Roberts posts on subjects like this to be the most interesting to me, as he often views things from a different angle than I do.

Kookamoor said:
I just wanted to point out that AI does have a stance and a program against genital mutilation. See Female Genital Mutilation - A Human Rights Pack.
Thanks for that Kookamoor.

bobbyburns said:
aww, robert got sucked into the intellectual black hole too...

p.s., the only reason you hate people criticizing the US is because you're a product of it, paleface.

Try again, smartboy. It matters to me because I value fair play.

Back