• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Joanne Harris

Wabbit

I found this collection of short stories on the Joanne Harris web site.

I was wondering where to post them and could not remember if there was a Joanne Harris thread. There wasn't. So I thought this would be a good chance to kill two birdies with one rocket launcher!

Her short stories would be a good way to get to know her. I can recommend her novels although I didn't enjoy Five Quarters of an Orange so much.

Have you already read her work? What do you think of her novels and the lady herself?

Jeez no replies!

I think Joanne Harris is a good writer, a good storyteller.

I tried her novels first: Chocolat, which was interesting, though I'm not too sure I quite got the anti-Christian messages :confused: , and Blackberry Wine, which wasn't very original, having read Chocolat, and my least favourite of the lot, but maybe that's because they were so similar.

And more recently I read Holy Fools, which is the best of hers I've read. It's about a girl, Juliet who becomes a teaching nun in France in the 1600s. It covers her life, in typical Harris style (which is to say, that yes, it is a the same style as her other books, the same story, in fact, with different characters and a different plot), with flashbacks from her youth, and the changes later on when the much-loved Abess dies and is replaced. But despite the familiarity, the look into religion is quite interesting.

And I've also read her collection of short stories, Jigs and Reels, and thought some of the stories were a great read.

steffee said:
And more recently I read Holy Fools, which is the best of hers I've read. It's about a girl, Juliet who becomes a teaching nun in France in the 1600s. It covers her life, in typical Harris style (which is to say, that yes, it is a the same style as her other books, the same story, in fact, with different characters and a different plot), with flashbacks from her youth, and the changes later on when the much-loved Abess dies and is replaced. But despite the familiarity, the look into religion is quite interesting.

I've had this book for months now and I've been meaning to read it, but I just haven't gotten to it. It is nice to hear about someone who enjoyed it as I had yet to hear a thing. I'm in the middle of a couple non-fiction books right now, but I know I'll be up for some fiction soon. Perhaps this will be next.

I am in the middle of reading Chocolat at the moment
I am enjoying it and i will no doubt read another book by Joanne Harris :)

Back