• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John A. De Vito: The Devil's Apocrypha

Pilgrim

Sounds interesting.

On a similar vein have you read 'I,Lucifer' by Glen Duncan. The Devil comes to Earth having been given one last shot at redemption if he can behave himself. He takes over the body of a suicidal writer and tells his side of the story.

Very dark, very funny.

Yes, I'm reading it and I love it. I have just begun the book of temptation. So far this book is wild. I have people at work trying to read it out of curiousity. It is great.

Whether or not this guy is serious about it being based on some old manuscripts doesn't really matter to me. It is giving me another way to answer questions I have had for many years.

The Devil's Apocrypha by John A. De Vito

I saw this as a Amazon.com best seller and I believe it's only available through Amazon.com.

I was wondering if anyone has read this book?

Here is a review on it -- it sounds like it has an interesting idea for the plot!

And here is a thread that I *just* found about this book! Huh, three years ago. Time to rekindle the thread, maybe?

http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=564

Intriguing, well written and unexpected, September 24, 2004
Reviewer: D. Smithee "Universal Daddy" (Washington, DC USA)

For a self published book that probably had little in the way of professional editing, this work has a tight narrative, an intriguing premise and an easy to grasp structure. Taking the most well know book in the world, the Christian Bible, and retelling it from the losing party's point of view, we get some of the worlds most well known tales with a fascinating twist.

Starting out in another universe on the brink of destruction, the inhabitants of that dimension flee to our universe to survive. Finding nothing here, they create the world for a singular purposse. They need the power of faith to sustain them. This order of powerful beings splits when one (Lucifer) rebels against manipulating the forthcoming humans into becoming repositories of faith. They are hurled to the center of the earth for their efforts. (This event becomes the meteor that destroyed the dinosaurs.) Thus begins the twists on the traditional Bible stories all told from Satan's point of view. Satan/Lucifer may not be such a bad guy after all. The book goes beyond the end of the Bible and winds up with Satan meeting with an ancestor of Martin Luther, eventually provoking the reformation.

The author has chosen a neo-Shakespearean King James style of English to narrate his "recovered manuscript" that can be a bit difficult to get through initially. The concepts and story are strong enough to overcome this and you will find it adds to the overall experience. The book is short enough to read quickly and get the full impact of this remarkable premise. Go for it!

Back