• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Irving: The Fourth Hand

Tobytook

This will be my own next buy, out in paperback in the UK on June 5th. (It was released in America last month.)

As I've said before, elsewhere in The Forum, Irving is about as close to a modern Charles Dickens as it gets. Sometimes that can be a good thing, and sometimes not.

Recently criticised for producing characters who are too "characterful", it would be hard to argue that Irving has not already written his best works (The World According to Garp, The Cider House Rules - which he made a bewilderingly botched job of adapting for the screen - and especially A Prayer for Owen Meany).

However, here are two reviews of this, his latest work:

Positive review

Negative review

And here are links for buying it online:

From Amazon.com ($)

From Amazon.co.uk (£)

Tobytook

Update after the fact

Finished this book a couple of days ago. It only took about a week to read. This was partly because it’s the shortest novel Irving has written for twenty years. Sad to say, it was also partly because I was hungry for it to start… well, starting.

In a nutshell, the impetus for the story came from Irving’s wife. One night, watching a news story about a widow who donated her husband’s hand for transplant, she asked what would happen if the woman requested visiting rights with the hand.

All novels require a starting point, a catalyst to get them going. Here, unfortunately, Irving hasn’t really managed to get far beyond it. (And, to be frank, it wasn’t even a very good idea, was it? I mean, does it read like a great idea – or just a silly one?)

This is unlike Irving, whose trademark has been to take stories with small beginnings and have them mushroom into vast, slightly quirky social epics that span generations. It is as if he didn’t know where to go with this one.

His principal character is Patrick Wallingford, a handsome TV news journalist whose hand is eaten by a lion in a zoo mishap. Then there is Doris Clausen, a quiet country wife whose husband accidentally shoots himself before he can fulfil her wish and make her pregnant. Patrick receives the husband’s hand, then fills the role that the latter did not, then devotes himself to winning the widow.

But Patrick is a far cry from Irving’s best creations. His sudden conversion from amoral, spiritually bereft, bovine docility to ambitious romantic hero-on- a-quest is hard to swallow – especially as it stems from nothing more than the odd way that Doris undresses. Also – and this is really unlike Irving – there is almost no insight into what motivates Doris to do the things she does. Throughout the book, she remains an unknown quantity, difficult to engage on any level. All we really know about her is that she has the Siren-like ability to make her voice sound irresistibly sexy. Hardly great characterisation.

More crucially, it is the nature of the story that disappoints. In the past, Irving has shown to great effect how coincidence, real-life oddity, and sheer dumb luck can affect people in profoundly life-altering ways. In accidents, they perceive the hand of God, or forces of Nature, or the ghosts of their ancestors at work, and make decisions – choose important paths – which lead to ruin or success. Sometimes, just to confound the reader, it turns out that fate might have played a hand after all. Always, the outcomes are unexpected. Plans go awry. Weird stuff happens to normal folks. Or vice versa. Here, however, not much happens at all – let alone anything unexpected. Furthermore, Irving makes the mistake of turning his "fate is really luck" formula on its head, and, apart from being a cop-out, it just doesn’t ring true.

On the plus side, it is as well written as all of Irving’s work. (Actually, Irving usually describes himself as a re-writer; he bangs out okay material, leaves it, then goes back and re-writes it many times until it becomes better material.) There are some good comedy moments – mostly in the spirit of bedroom farce – and it reads quickly. Although the lead duo are unconvincing, the supporting characters are powerfully realised, particularly Nick Zajac, the gifted but peculiar transplant surgeon who first brings Patrick and Doris together. There is also Angie, a sexy make-up artist who works at Patrick’s company. Her extrovert "bimbo-ness" and uncomplicated sense of self, initially quite stereotypical, become more realistic and more endearing as more parts of her odd life make their way into the story. She is perhaps the most likeable character, too: level-headed, unencumbered by psychological guilt, able to act unethically but give salient moral advice.

Sadly, all in all, an unsatisfying book. If this were a report card, it’d say, "Must try harder, John".

Tobytook

The Fourth Hand by John Irving was a romantic-comedy. It's about this tv reporter who loses his hand in a lion's mouth. His story is broadcast everywhere because he was reporting a story when it happened. So this woman decides that her hubsand should give him his hand, a hand-transplant. Though the idea of such a thing sounds a bit creepy, the story after this becomes very sweet. it also contains some very interesting sex scenes.

I have never heard of this book. It sound very...uh...nice though, PineCones. :D

Just out of curiosity, if you get a 'hand transplant,' will you be able to feel things with it? Will the fingers grow and move? It seems as though it would be difficult to connect the nerves together. :confused:

I am too afraid to comment on the 'interesting sex scenes'. :eek:

veggiedog said:
I have never heard of this book. It sound very...uh...nice though, PineCones. :D

Just out of curiosity, if you get a 'hand transplant,' will you be able to feel things with it? Will the fingers grow and move? It seems as though it would be difficult to connect the nerves together. :confused:

I am too afraid to comment on the 'interesting sex scenes'. :eek:
lol. that's what it's about. how the nerve endings in the hands grow. you'd just have to read to understand where the fourth hand comes in. it's very ummm......'interesting'

I liked this one better than his last one, Until I Find You, which I thought needed a good editing. The scene where the guy loses his hand is very humorous.

This book is one of the few John Irving books that I didn't really enjoy - it had its moments but ultimately felt like too much of a struggle. The Water Method Man is the other 'bad' book that springs to mind but I have loved everything else by him so don't let this book put you off if its your first Irving experience.

John Irving's books always sound so interesting, but the only one I read so far, Widow for one Year, didn't really work for me. Especially the mid-section I found boring. How does The Fourth Hand compare to that one? Is it a 'classic' Irving? I'd really like to give it a go because I'm interested in the medical side of the story.

I have heard quite a few people say that they didn't really like A Widow for One Year - its certainly not what I would class a 'classic' Irving. I would suggest A Prayer for Owen Meany or The World According to Garp to get you started.

i read a prayer for owen meany last year. it was really good i thought. i just liked the fourth hand because i'm weird like that i suppose.

Lyra said:
This book is one of the few John Irving books that I didn't really enjoy - it had its moments but ultimately felt like too much of a struggle. The Water Method Man is the other 'bad' book that springs to mind but I have loved everything else by him so don't let this book put you off if its your first Irving experience.

Thats right! This book i hated!

Back