• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Norman: Gor

Rien

I've been looking into John Norman's books of Gor a lot more lately, having read one or two in the past. Right now, I'm reading Nomads of Gor. It suddenly dawned on me to ask whether or not anyone else here has read or does read, or even practises the lifestyle found in the Gorean novels? I have quite a few friends who consider themselves to be Gorean, or used to. Gor has a tendancy to stir up some very strong opinions, so please offer yours, if any of you have ever read the books.

I remember these books from when I was a kid back in the 80's. I would always be in the fantasy section of the bookstore looking for Robert E. Howard books, and there used to be a ton of the paperback Gor novels on the shelves, they used to have that Daw Publishing bright yellow spine that really stood out. I never read a single one though.

The gor novels are probably among the most ridiculous books ever written.

But i'm sure the gor lifestyle can be a lot of fun for some.

Blast from the past

Wow, you’ve just sparked a memory from way back. I have only ever read one Gor book. I think it was called “The marauders of Gor.” But it was back in the eighties. I seem to remember something about, if you drew a circle in the sand around something or someone you took possession of it or them. I think there were a quite a few Gor books on the shelves back then but I haven’t seen any since. I’ve got to ask what is the Gor lifestyle? Enlighten me please

The basic thing is that Gor is a planet away from here, and they have leaders called the Priest Kings. The Priest Kings go out to other planets and steal people, eg: Earth. On Gor, women are subserviant to men in all things. They are either a Free Woman, or they are a slave. There are many, many different kinds of slave (ranging from coin girls--they're basically hookers for their masters--to flute girls--slaves that play music and are more like geisha than prostitutes). A female slave is called kajira and is branded upon her slavery, normally on the upper left thigh.

A Free Woman is allowed more freedom, obviously, but she's still got to remember her "place". If she fails to do so, she'll be beaten to death or collared. She's meant to be chaste, humble, and capable: she should be able to do something, like nurse the wounded or ill, or perhaps become a seamstress.

Men have to go through a series of courage tests to prove themselves to other men. In every area, be it a city or a tribe, there's an Ubar that rules over all of them.

A surprisingly large amount of people try to pracist the aspects of Gor in their own lives, to the extent that they can without breaking the law. Obviously, if a slave doesn't please a man, then he can't exactly break her neck for it, there's no rape, there's no beating to the point of hospitalization, none of that sort of thing. I've found it interesting every since I found out, but I'd never want to practise it myself. Women are viewed as replaceable in Gor, and I'd much rather be snuggled and treasured by my sweetie.

Wow! I haven't thought of the Gor books in years. I had a friend who was very into this series. She has all of them and loaned them to me. I read a number of them (but don't ask how many - I have no idea). I enjoyed them but was really bothered by the portrayal of females. Although I do remember a very cool female character who helped Tarl Cabot but I think she eventually gets turned into a slave girl (or maybe she was always a slave girl but Cabot treated her with respect and then something happens and he starts treating her like a slave girl). Once that happened I lost interest in the series. I also got tired very quickly of the whole " all free woman are truly slaves at heart" concept.

Back