• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Updike: The Witches of Eastwick

Sybarite

Alexandra, Jane and Sukie are the witches of Eastwick, all of whom acquired their powers after leaving or being left by their husbands.

When stranger Darryl van Horne arrives in town and buys an old mansion, they find their cosy existences shaken up, as scandal surrounds them.

After van Horne leaves town, all the women move on in their lives – by meeting new men and moving away.

An intriguing novel that was rendered more difficult to read than one might expect because of the film. They seem so alike at first – and the casting of the main characters was inspired – but then the book and film drift apart somewhat.

It's difficult, though, to know what author John Updike was attempting to get at with the book.

It could be read as suggesting that, without men, women can be liberated.

Or it could be saying that, without men, women become evil.

Or it could be a satire on such ideas.

Some of the prose is really excellent, and I enjoyed it very much in places, but as a whole, it left unable to make up my mind what I really feel about it.

Sounds interesting. Do you recommend the movie first or the book? I have a feeling I might like it.
2.gif

Sounds interesting. Do you recommend the movie first or the book? I have a feeling I might like it. ]

Read the book first , though as with many movies you might well find the film to be less than satisfying afterwards.

The book is highly entertaining , and the film is actually a fairly good adaptation as films go.

B.

Back