• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jonathan Safran Foer

I thoroughly enjoyed EL &...

Everything went kind of fast there toward the end, but it was a kind of tying things up and bringing them back to what may be considered "more normal for a kid of that age", I guess? I'll remember it for a while, which is something for me to say because of how many books I read. (Like you, I read a lot., although you may read even more than I do!)

When I chose the new avatar I was thinking that if I had it printed on a t-shirt (and if you removed one finger), that I (along with that other lady) might not be allowed to get on the infamous airplane in Moto's "Should **** be ..." thread. :D

Am I making any sense? It's 5:30 AM here and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Is this what "spamming" is?

I am reading this now, and agree with all the comments here, it is a fantastic portrayal (as far as I can see) of a nine year old suffering the loss of his father, and the confusion that goes with that.

StillILearn said:
Question: If Mr Black had both hearing aids turned off for twelve years (and couldn't hear anythng without them) how did he go about ordering all the things he needed by telephone?

:confused:

I really loved the "sixth borough" bedtime story.)

I wondered about that, too. When he said he was reading Oskar's lips and hadn't heard anything for so long but then from working with some older people I thought maybe he just shouted what he wanted with out listening to them,:D, it happens.

I'm halfway through and enjoying it so far.

I finished last night, and really liked it. It was a bit hard getting through the first 1/3rd of the book, mainly getting used to the way the dialogue was written. After that I enjoyed the book very much, the characters and pictures were great.

I finished the novel like three months or so ago, and I found it interesting, to say the least. Just amazing how Foer mixes up that classical love-war-story (narrated in a non-classical way) with Oskar's life.
And I love the way how Foer is able to write good, subtle jokes although it is a touroughly sad book.

ps (again) sorry for possible English language mistakes, English isn't my first language

I just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and all I can say is WOW. It may have just become my favorite book of all time. I read it once, cried a few tears, then flipped back to the beginning and immediately started all over again.

My favorite part:
"For eight months I followed him and talked to the people he talked to, I tried to learn about him as he tried to learn about you, he was trying to find you, just as you had tried to find me, and it broke my heart into more pieces than my heart was made of..."

There are a million more parts that struck a chord with me, but that was my favorite and it sums up a major theme of the book in just one (very run-on) sentence. I also really liked how the book had a pasted-together quality, and the shifts between Grandma, Grandpa, Oskar, and the pictures seemed to be consistent with the kind of journal I imagine Oskar would keep.

My only criticism would be that I had trouble believing the character at times, and I had trouble with his age. Was he 9 or 11? I got the impression he was 9 when his father died, but the book takes place 2 years after 9/11 and he mentions being 9 at the time the book is written. (He also lies about his age a lot, so maybe that is why I am confused.)

Back