• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jonathan Safran Foer

Martin

Jonathan Safran Foer's new book

Last year I read Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything Is Illuminated, because it showed up in every friggin' bookstore I went into. And for a good reason, because it was a brilliant novel, I absolutely loved it. I wrote a review for it, here. It was Foer's debut novel, and his follow up will be published in 2005. It's will be called Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close, and you can read an excerpt right here.

Go on, read it. I read it, and I can't wait for this.

And then to think Foer is only three years older than me.

Cheers

May I ask you why you would want to quote the sign at the entrance of Auschwitz when I tell you about a jewish author?

Cheers

well ... uh, you were talking about how brilliant he is and how he's only three years older then you, a-and that seemed to imply that you admired his commitment and vigilant effort, so the joke was really just me defending laziness.

This guy's only three years older than me, and he has written one of last years biggest bestsellers - Everything Is Illuminated. I loved that book, so when I saw that his new book had been released, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, I got all giddy, and without hesitating, I bought it.

So, does anyone know this guy, or read either of his two books?

Cheers

Sorry Martin, never read him. BUT, not 5 minutes after I read this post, I was poking around Book Browse and came across this giveaway for Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

So, if I win the book, I'll read it. Or maybe I'll pick it up in my next book-buying spree.

Give him a try - I can't say anything on the new book yet (all I've read were excerpts online, which, incidentally, were superb), but the old one was one of the best books I read in '04. A truly amazing book.

Cheers

I read the first chapter of Extremely Loud (terrible title) and really disliked it. I found it full of trite pop references and stereotypes. I haven't read his first book; I might yet.

A few weird things about this new book: JSF's live-in girlfriend simultaneously wrote a kind of female version of Extremely Loud, and it's been reviewed as such in a lot of US pubs as a better book. So why isn't that on the best seller lists?

The protagonist is, completely unbelievably, a nine-year-old with total access and knowledge of NYC. Sorry, but I grew up there, and that is just not the way it is or ever was. Neighborhood, fine. Island, not.

How do you get to be a bestseller without selling any real books on the street? (This is a subject for another thread or section.)

I really liked Everything Is Illuminated. A lot! I can whole heartedly recommend it to anybody!I thought it was a wonderful book. It was funny, sad, thoughtful, poetic - all at the same time.

However, I don't think it was perfect. I think it had it's problems. It was pretty pretentious and simplistic in places.

Yup! Don't get me wrong! Absolutely fantastic novel! One of the very best novels I had the pleasure of reading.

Jonathan Safran Foer: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I'm a bit of a sucker for a book that looks nice as well as reads nice. But rarely is the niceness of a book so intrinsic to the reading experience as with Jonathan Safran Foer's second novel which has just come out in the UK. Sadly Waterstone's weren't stocking the hardback, but even the hated trade paperback format is a thing of solid beauty.

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y126_paradorlounge_foer.jpg

I just love the bold design, the spine entirely filled with name and title, the smooth thick paper and, not least, the fact that my own left hand precisely fits the cover illustration when laid on top of it. And it doesn't end there: the inside is as well produced, with illustrations, colour pages, photographs and overtyping all enhancing the effect of the text.

Which is not to say that the book relies on all these things. In fact you could lose the fancy pages - 80 of them in total, which would reduce the page count from 320 to 240 - and the book would still be as good. Just not as nice.

And it is a good book, very good indeed in my estimation. Mainly this springs from the voice of the primary narrator, Oskar Schell, a nine-year-old prodigy living in New York, who is forever inventing when he can't sleep (which is most of the time), learning new pieces of trivia, and otherwise occupying his life to make up for the great big hole in the middle of it. Oskar's father, Thomas Schell, was killed in the attacks on the World Trade Centre on September 11, 2001. He rang their home from his office six times, leaving messages each time, because Oskar - sent home from school along with all the other children - was too frightened to pick up the phone. He has never told his mother about the messages and the guilt and sense of impotence gives him, for a nine-year-old child, "very heavy boots."

Oskar's voice is playful and inventive (putting me in mind of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes), despite the solemn nature of the story and his inner feelings. In fact it is a great strength of the book that Oskar's feelings are expressed so minimally, coolly almost, so that when he tells us "I made a bruise," or bemoans that today he has "very heavy boots indeed," we apply our own horror and sympathy to him, and he remains charming and funny under all the subtly expressed pain. It's hard to do his tone justice in a short extract, but this is the sort of thing you get:

Isn't it so weird how the number of dead people is increasing even though the earth stays the same size, so that one day there isn't going to be room to bury anyone anymore? For my ninth birthday last year, Grandma gave me a subscription to National Geographic, which she calls "the National Geographic." She also gave me a white blazer, because I only wear white clothes, and it's too big to wear so it will last me a long time. She also gave me Grandpa's camera, which I loved for two reasons. I asked why he didn't take it with him when he left her. She said, "Maybe he wanted you to have it." I said, "But I was negative-thirty years old." She said, "Still." Anyway, the fascinating thing was that I read in National Geographic that there are more people alive now than have died in all of human history. In other words, if everyone wanted to play Hamlet at once, they couldn't, because there aren't enough skulls!

Breaking up Oskar's narrative are monologues by his paternal grandmother and (estranged) grandfather, so that in the end we get the dead man, Thomas, addressed by both his parents and his child. These are equally accomplished, if less skittish than Oskar's, and so give a more mature and reflective account of loss, and provide most (but not all) of the emotional peaks of the book. And breaking up everything are those photos, and illustrations, and red-pen markings; not to mention a highly risky conceit at the end of the book, where were are given our own representation of a flicker book Oskar wants to make, showing someone leaping to their death from one of the twin towers: in reverse, so that it looks as though he is floating up to safety. Whether this works for you, or is a step too far, probably depends on whether the book has won you over up to that point. For me, it did. Otherwise, most of the illustrations are superfluous, nice but not needed, though occasionally they work to great effect. Here, for example, is what happens when Oskar's grandfather, who cannot speak and has to write everything down, finds himself running out of space before he can finish his last letter to his dead son:

View attachment aphotos13.flickr.com_16126438_5a3e33b990.jpg
View attachment aphotos9.flickr.com_16126439_6b2ac644ec.jpg

But even so, it's the writing that makes Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close work so well. Safran Foer has an extraordinary ability for his 28 years (damn him), expertise in teasing out the right verbal trope at the right moment, knowing when to leave a joke unexplained and adept at creating effortless dialogue, even for an unrealistic-realistic nine-year-old like Oskar. I found Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close to be that rare thing, an utterly satisfying and complete experience, and a leap on from his debut novel Everything is Illuminated, which was too quick at times to blaze with cleverness and lacked the accessible clarity which shines through this book. It's a masterpiece.

That book had me by the furry cuff-links from line one. It's such a beautiful, charming and amusing novel. At first, I was a little put-off by lill' ol' Oskar being nine years old, but I could totally relate...what! I could relate to a nine year old boy!?!? Well, we we're all nine once...

Anyway, yeah. It's a beautiful book and I look forward to reading it again. Some of his inventions were so absolutely pure and brilliant. I also delighted in his colloquialisms..."What the!", etc. Plus, the letters from Stephen Hawkins had me riveted.

Not to gloat or anything, but I have the hard-back. Sniff, sniff...

I do want to get this one. It sounds great. It's nice to see an author pushing the boundaries.

I really likes his other Everything is Illuminated. It was a wonderful novel: It was sad, funny, witty, thoughtful, informative, clever, and beautifully written. As this new novel by him seems to do it played with structure to give meaning or enhance meanings and feelings. Very good stuff. However, it was not perfect. I found some of it extremely pretentious. Some of it just didn't work for me. Sometimes the writing was astounding and at other times it was simplistic. Some of the novel needed editing out completely. However with all it's faults I found it be be one of the best novels I have read.

Thanks for the heads up on the new one! I must say I don't like the cover design but the book sounds fab!

I have this book on my wish list/to read list! :D
- so I did not read all your post, Shade as it may spoil things for me.
But seeing what people think of the book, was great and I cannot wait till I get my hands on the book.
I like the cover design as well.

Flower

I have a vague memory of novella coming out against the book on another thread... or I may have imagined it. If so, can you give us a contrary viewpoint, novella?

Back