• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Joseph Heller: Catch 22

Rogue

I just found this gorgeous description of Catch22! :D :D :D

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Catch-22Catch-22 is a 1961 novel by Joseph Heller about the madness of war. The phrase "catch-22" has come into common use to mean a cyclical conundrum, based on its meaning in the book as described below.

The novel follows a fictional World War II US Army Air Corps bombardier, Captain Yossarian, and a number of other American airmen during World War II, based on the island of Pianosa, south of Italy. (A magazine excerpt from the novel was originally published as "Catch-18," but Heller changed the title after another World War II novel, Leon Uris's Mila 18, was published.) Its pacing is frenetic, its tenor is intellectual, and its humor is largely absurdist -- but with grisly moments of realism interspersed. As the Czech writer Arnošt Lustig testifies in his latest book "13x18", Joseph Heller personally told him that he would never have written Catch 22 had he not first read The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek .

Within the book, catch-22 is a military rule, the circular logic of which most notably prevents anyone from avoiding combat missions:

+ One may only be excused from flying bombing missions on the grounds of insanity;
+ One must request to be excused;
+ One who requests to be excused is presumably in fear for his life. This is taken to be proof of his sanity, and he is therefore obliged to continue flying missions;
+ One who is truly insane presumably would not make the request. He therefore would continue flying missions, even though as an insane person he could be excused from them by asking.

Catch-22 is also invoked at other points in the novel to justify various other actions. At one point, victims of harrassment by military agents quote the agents as having explained one of Catch-22's most macabre and rococo provisions in this fashion: Catch-22 states that agents enforcing Catch-22 need not prove that Catch-22 actually contains whatever provision the accused violator is accused of violating. The military agent explains: "Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can’t stop them from doing".

Yossarian come to realize that Catch-22 doesn't even exist. Because the powers that be claim it does and because the world believes, the effects are all the same. The combination of brute force with specious legalistic justification is one of the books primary motifs. As in the above example, much of Heller's prose in Catch-22 is circular and repetitive, exemplifying in form the structure of catch-22.

The phrase has come to refer to similar no-win situations generally, as is noted below.

Catch 22

felt like an episode of MASH on acid. by the end of the book things had gotten so over the top ridiculous that instead of laughing at all the madcap shennanigans I was fairly annoyed which drew comparisons for me to Confederacy of Dunces. Maybe its just me and I'm a boring stick in the mud but I like my conflicts to have resolutions and I like the characters I loathe to get their comeupance.

i actually loved this book but there's a point when everything gets annoying. for me it was around the time natley died and it was milo's fault but by the end their hope is restored which is the important thing IMO anyway.

i loved loved loved this book. in fact i loved it so much i went out and bought a copy (i only buy books i Really like for my bookshelf, otherwise i stick to the library - poor student and all that). i couldnt stop laughing the whole way through. my friend was readin it at the same time and we'd read bits out and just laugh. yes, we need a life i know :cool:

Thivya said:
i loved loved loved this book. in fact i loved it so much i went out and bought a copy (i only buy books i Really like for my bookshelf, otherwise i stick to the library - poor student and all that). i couldnt stop laughing the whole way through.

I also bought this book (I usually get books from the library) and I'm glad I did because I can see myself reading it again. The absurdity reach levels that amazed me and near the end of the novel when Yossarian was trapsing through Rome and then found the dead girl who Aarfy had killed, I found myself very angry with the world (I'm assuming this was the intended effect) but like Yossarian I also felt helpless towards doing anything to change it. And when he was being offered his "deal" by Cathcart and Korn... I realized the absurdity and inaneness that was constant through the entire novel was actually a kind of selfish evil intelligence and that the only way to beat stupidity that was actually scheming was to become stupid through your intelligence like Orr. Basically you have to beat them at their own game by being better at... Orr played fair but a smarter fair than the tricky unfairness of the Korns and Peckams. I'm glad the climax came at the dead end of the novel because it summarized everything very neatly yet still managed to avoid feeling corny. Great novel.

I actually sent a copy of this book to Richard Nixon when he was president. Got a very nice note from the Office of the President that the book would have a special place in his library! :eek: :D :D

"What kind of name is Popinjay?!"

"It's Popijay's name, sir!"

"Well, I don't like it!"

:cool:

I've actually had to buy two copies of Catch-22. The first started falling apart from re-reading it and lending it to all my friends. Have a nice hardcover version now.

felt like an episode of MASH on acid. by the end of the book things had gotten so over the top ridiculous that instead of laughing at all the madcap shennanigans I was fairly annoyed which drew comparisons for me to Confederacy of Dunces. Maybe its just me and I'm a boring stick in the mud but I like my conflicts to have resolutions and I like the characters I loathe to get their comeupance.

I kinda thought that that was the whole point about the book. A circular argument from which where is no way out. Plus, conflicts don't always have resolutions and villians don't always get what they deserve in life.

Thus, we get to follow a Yossarian who gets more and more desperate as the book progresses; which explains why the book gets more ridiculous towards the end as well, I suppose. Sort of like Milton's philosophy of how Hell is also a mindset from which there is no escape. A perception of situation as it exists in the mind.

I thought the book was brilliant! Funny thing is, I tried recollecting my thoughts on Confederacy of Dunces and am unable to draw a comparison. I got REALLY REALLY annoyed with that book. And, though I recognise its merits, am unlikely to ever pick it up for a second read. EVER.

I've actually had to buy two copies of Catch-22.

*Sigh* Well, looks like I may have to get another copy for myself as well... I tried looking for my copy for the thread funniest lines in a book and realised that I must have loan it to a friend as it's missing from my bookshelf. Problem is, I can't remember to whom. Well, it's still worth the cash even if it's the second time round :)

Catch 22

This is one of the greatest books of the 21st century, and the film is pretty amazing as well - and very disturbing. I am sure I have bought at least 3 copies of this over the years and lent it to friends who have 'mislaid' each one, leaving me in my own little Catch 22 situation.

This is one of the greatest books of the 21st century, and the film is pretty amazing as well - and very disturbing. I am sure I have bought at least 3 copies of this over the years and lent it to friends who have 'mislaid' each one, leaving me in my own little Catch 22 situation.

I got a solution! I got a solution!

What you can do to get out of your situation is borrow it off a friend and 'mislay' it yourself! Go on... break the cycle. In fact, I'll even go as far as to lend you mine. Oh, wait. Sorry. Just remembered that I'm kinda in the same situation as you... :D

Hmmm...

That sounded like a great idea at first, but then I started thinking that we shouldn't based on principles. Coz, if we do get new Catch 22's to exchange with each other, doesn't that mean that we'd just be prolonging the cycle?

Oh, what the heck.

Give me your mailing address and I'll even throw in a sentimental message about the fragility of life. ;) :D

Catch 22

A third and mysterious new person - my lovely wife - has now entered the fray and ordered one for me (amongst other books which I used to have but don't anymore) which makes matters even more complicated. Your offer - our offers - are very generous but I risk incurring the wrath of my wife if I give hers away when I get it in about 10 days. I appreciate I could buy another one and send it to you but I'm a long way from Singapore and I suspect the practicalities of postage costs would outweigh the book cost. So, maybe, if we pretended that the copy we each bought ourselves was lent by the other person we'll have saved ourselves enough money in postage to buy another book, which we can then lend out to someone else. And then, in five years time, you and I will be having the same online debate whilst comparing our respective wrinkles and laughter lines, wondering where that book went...:)

LOL, your reply made me laugh so hard, I started tearing...

But I love your suggestion and think that we should go ahead with it. In that case, to make this whole pretence more realistic ...

book15.jpg

Just thought you might like to know what the book you loan me looks like :D. Please thank your beautiful and loving wife for me!!

Back