• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Julia Cameron

Kookamoor

Has anyone else come across Julia Cameron? She's written a number of very successful books about exploring creativity through journaling. Her most well known is possibly Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity . I stumbled on her books at the library and first read The Right to Write : An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life. These books aren't about helping you with style or form, or putting you on the road to writing your first novel. They're designed to help you explore your life and your creative side.

While I liked the theory, and some of the exercises were fun and did get me out of my writing rut, I was really turned off by the spiritual side of the books. While she never goes as far as to assume that all readers believe in God, she certainly emphasises the role of spirituality (meaning to her, the 'creator') in her view of what is required to explore oneself. For me, this was just a little too preachy.

Any one else read her material and care to comment? Do you know of a similar author who doesn't rely on religion to give journaling and writing ideas to the happy amateur? That is, one who is content to write for themselves, not for publication or comment. ie: I'm not looking for Stephen King's 'On writing' or a book on style.

Yes, the spiritual side of this book put me off too. If You Want to Write, by Brenda Ueland, is a classic inspirational book for amateur writers, and not quite as spiritual.

One of my favorite books about journaling is How to Make a Journal of Your Life, by Dan Price. It's a short little book full of encouragment,without any preaching. I carried it around in my purse for a long time, and I now carry tons of pens of all colors thanks to Dan Price. Where's Monty Hall when I need him... :D

I suppose one possible reason for the spiritual leanings in most books about journaling that the act of journaling is a search for truth, and that is a spiritual matter. I've noticed the prevalence of Zen spirituality in much of the material available on journal writing these days, and as a Christian, I'm leery of that.

abecedarian said:
I suppose one possible reason for the spiritual leanings in most books about journaling that the act of journaling is a search for truth, and that is a spiritual matter. I've noticed the prevalence of Zen spirituality in much of the material available on journal writing these days, and as a Christian, I'm leery of that.
That's true - the act of journalling is frequently about searching for truth or trying to work things out. When I went to the book store recently to find a book on letter writing (personal, not business), I was told to see the 'Self Help' section near the journalling books. I was puzzled by that at the time, but I guess in a book store, where everything must be categorised, it makes a bit of sense.

Zen spirituality? I think we need to swap books, abecadarian! I haven't read any of that - what titles were you looking at? I can understand that sort of basis making you a little suspect of the material given your strong beliefs (which I greatly admire, btw). It's probably the same as when I read a book which aspires to helping you, but does it with such strong Christian overtones that it makes me feel smothered by someone else's belief system. I am very open about religious thought and so on, but there's a difference between reading about it and having someone seemingly 'preach' at you.

Have you read any of Julia Camerons work? If so, how did her Christian themes sit with you? I'm curious as to whether the way I felt about them had to do with my personal beliefs or because of the way she delivered her 'advice' (where she seemed somewhat above her readers, as though she had attained a sense of peace and enlightenment which we should all aspire to).

Mods: I recognise we're discussing religion, but so long as it stays within the context of the books I assume this will be okay.

Well, I question her "christian" slant. She's pretty vague about which diety she means, and probably does that so as to encourage people of all belief systems to try her ideas. I haven't seen too much in the books I have read, including The Artist's Way that is blatantly Zen. I just recognize that she's taking ideas from several religions, and feel I have to watch for obvious errors.
One book journaling "guru" that does push Zen blatantly is Natalie Goldberg. Her books are wonderful for inspiration to get busy and write, but I hesitate to offer her books to a Christian friend unless I warn them. Depends on the friend..I read lots of stuff that would fry the brains of a certain library lady who goes to my church :D
There's another journaling book, by Marlene Schiwy, A Voice of Her Own, that's pretty good. I think she had some new-agey thoughts, but I can't remember. Leaving A Trace by Alexandra Johnson is good too. I liked Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott, and Succulent Wild Women by SARK. You gotta look up SARK! Her books are full of great ideas and encouragment.
I haven't seen more than half a handfull of Christian books on journaling. The ones I could get through interlibrary loan were tripe. The first one was worse than anything Natalie Goldberg ever dished out in that it was plastered over with a "Christian" veneer, yet full of references to Jungian thought, and was boring and totally not fit for human consumption. So, we ALL have to be careful in our reading!

I think in this area, the best thing to do is read widely and use what fits and disregard the refuse. Hey, that's what we do anyway :cool:

Awesome reply, abecedarian!! I think I read these books a little too critically, in truth. It boils down to wanting to learn new ways of thinking and wanting to be inspired, but not wanting to have someone lecture to me about it. I'm going to look up some of your suggestions and add them to my TBR - I'll let you know!

I can't contribute to this thread except to say that y'all have made some well thought out and intelligent posts that have been interesting for me to read.

I fail to see how writing things down, exploring and working things out has to be a spiritual thing though. And I also don't see how 'thruth' is a spritual matter. But that's just me, I guess. :)

CDA said:
I fail to see how writing things down, exploring and working things out has to be a spiritual thing though. And I also don't see how 'thruth' is a spritual matter. But that's just me, I guess. :)
Thanks, CDA. I guess this is what I was trying to say earlier. I don't connect the two things either.

And I think just about everything is spiritual! Which just goes to show that like other types of books, we can only take away what we're ready for at the time.

Back