• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

July Discussion -The Diamond Throne by Eddings

Just worked out that I read this book when I was 23?
16 years ago.

I read his Belgariad then Gaurdians of the west when they were published, so 16 and 21 respectively.

The Belgariad was great, the Gaudians of the West was good, by the time Sparhawk arrived , prior to the Gaurdians of the west series being finished, I must have had enough of the Eddings style.

I think I finished The Elenium (the series with Sparhawk). Read Gelgarath the Sourcerer then I have not even bothered to look at what Eddings is working on or has released. I have just grown out of them I guess.

Where's the ppl who voted for this book? So far it seems only one person has read it. I havent read this book but I loved athalus by david and leigh eddings I also have the tamuli series which i think follows on the one of the diamond throne, but have not read it. Read the first few chapters and just couldnt motivate myself to read further.

I think ppl should only vote who really intend on reading the book they voted for!

I really enjoyed this book. It was the first Eddings that I read, and I would have been 16 or so at the time, I think. After reading the Elenium and the Tamuli I then went and read the Belgariad and the Mallorean. I liked them both, although there were a lot of similarities between them that made me question his originality (the whole stone/gem from a God thing). I still like Eddings, even though some may say he is a little on the cliched side. As magemanda said, it's brilliant escapism and I still love to pick up all his books and re-read them. He puts a humour into his characters that I really appreciated (although I thought Silk from the Belgariad was the most amusing with his dry wit).

I think this is a great book for someone just getting into the fantasy genre - an easy read and accessible themes. On the other hand if you're well read in fantasy you may find it a bit too cliched.

If you gave Sparhawk and a U.S. Marine each a club and told them to fight it out, who would win?

Would you want someone like Sparhawk as a personal friend?

If you could use a spell to put a boil on someone's nose, would you do it?

Bookworm88 said:
If you gave Sparhawk and a U.S. Marine each a club and told them to fight it out, who would win?

Would you want someone like Sparhawk as a personal friend?

If you could use a spell to put a boil on someone's nose, would you do it?

I'd vote for the Marine. Sparhawk may be crafty, but he's getting old.

No I wouldn't want Sparhawk as a friend. He isn't that great of a person in my opinion. He'd be good to have on your side if you got into fights a lot but I've never been in a real fight in my life.

I probably wouldn't put a boil on someone's nose. I might make a booger come out of it though, to embarass them :p

KristoCat said:
No I wouldn't want Sparhawk as a friend. He isn't that great of a person in my opinion. He'd be good to have on your side if you got into fights a lot but I've never been in a real fight in my life.
He does have the trait of loyalty going for him, but a hired bodyguard would also be loyal and be good in a fight. What exactly made him not that great of a person, in your opinion?

KristoCat said:
I probably wouldn't put a boil on someone's nose. I might make a booger come out of it though, to embarass them :p
Charming spell. No one would accuse you of lacking originality.

ds

i've read all of eddings books except for the crystal gorge and their are issues i have with the way the he and his wife write together, the plot is generally different each series but the same characters pop up time after time (silk/ stragen) (ehlana/ ce'Nedra) (kurik/ durnik)and so on. :mad:

the books a just a little heavy on the "religion bad boy!" message (Elennium/ tamuli)
but the diamond throne is one of my favourites, as is the start of domes of fire :)

I read Eddings a lot about 10ish years ago and enjoyed his books. He's one of the reasons I continue to read fantasy. I don't think I'd put any one of his books in my top 5 fantasy books, but at least I can read every one of his books in all of his series and not want to slam my head into something like I do when I read Robert Jordan.

Back