• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Just One More Fragment...Thanks Guys!

-Carlos-

...I do indeed have this one complete. But I wanted to see if the start is well constructed and grammar perfect.

Even though this is only a fragment of a story, please critique.

(In the end the woman in the series becomes rich because of her love for people and the writer fulfills his dead father's wish to complete the trilogy.
The story is fabulous and yes, complete. Not on paper as yet, but done)

Here is the beginning fragment:

Fly By Night
by Carlos Rios

Henry stood outside by the door to his patio. His neck tie was loose and flapping in the night wind, a lit cigarette on his lips drifted smoke in a line up to his gazing eyes pointed upward at a quarter moon. Although Henry's eyes were set on the moon, his thoughts had been lingering: How will I finish the trilogy?

Henry did not hear the sliding glass door open. He did not even hear his wife words. At once, as if awaken rudely by a clashing symbol, Henry heard the sweet melody of his wife's inquiry.

“Are you coming in dear? Come on in, take a shower, and come to bed.”

Henry could not deny the sensual tone in her voice, the luring eyes of his beloved wife. He gave her a nod and she retreated back into the house. After finishing his cigarette, Henry entered the bathroom, undressed, showered and was in bed in less than twenty minutes. She turned to him, kissed his lips as she gently scratched his scalp; relaxing his tension. Henry was present in body but not in mind. He continued thinking about his father's unfinished series even as she reached her peak of ecstasy. Henry knew right then that the overwhelming thoughts had to be addressed. It was, so he thought, his calling - his dead father heralding his remorse from the grave.

Weeks had elapsed and Henry was no closer to finding an idea for the last volume of the books. The first two volumes told the life of a poor woman who was down on her luck since the moment she entered the world. She was physically and mentally tormented by her father-in-law. Her mother was prone to drinking and her few friends were wolves in sheep’s clothing. All that she had was her big heart. She loved even those who hated her, for it is writing (her sole justification) that Jesus loved even his own enemies in the hopes of granting each eternal salvation. Now she was not really a religious gal, but she did extract and kept a treasure trove of wisdom from the Gospels; from Davids Proverbs and Palms. Her faith, even during the harshness of days, maintained her upright and granted her spiritual endurance and love toward neighbor. But yet, even with such a gleam of warmth in her person, she shook inside a terrible fear and a lust for justice behind her meek eyes.

By the end of book two, Henry's father presented his god-fearing protagonist in a real bind. She was, at that point in the series, overweight and pregnant with her third child. The first two, a boy of four and a little girl of two. Her ungenerous youngsters were of ferment complexion and careless in body and behavior. Always disobeying their tiring mother and getting into constant mischief. The poor woman was at her wits end when a fateful knock on the door brought her world to a stand still. Government workers with a deputy and two officers held a court order up to her face claiming custody of her children. The woman nearly fainted at the sour news and pleaded like a child to not take her babies away. Regardless of her fervent attempts and emotional yelps, endless tears and partitions to a merciful god, the children were hauled into a van like cattle and driven away, far off from their mama.

Thank you for your patience and your direction. I love you guys!

Carlos

Psalms, not Palms. Also, "it is written", not "it is writing".

Why did CPS take the kids?

Last attempt at repeating the same thing everyone's been saying to you for years:

1) Don't use words or phrases you're not sure what they mean or how they're used or even if they're adjectives or nouns. By that, I don't mean "Look them up first". I don't mean "Substitute 'simple' words for fancy-sounding synonyms". I mean DO NOT USE THEM. Use only the same sort of language you use when you're talking, at least in the first draft. Burn your thesaurus. If you mean "look", write "look", not "examine ocularly." If you mean "hardest", write "hardest", not "harshness". If you mean "bad", write "bad", not "sour". If you mean "feeling guilty", write "feeling guilty", not "heralding his remorse". Etc etc etc. Don't try to sound literary if it doesn't come naturally; you cannot fake it, and you'll end up with a text that's stilted, unintentionally humorous, and almost incomprehensible.

2) Before you start writing a story, if that story is in any way related to anything that could happen in real life, do some basic research. You want to write a story about CPS taking someone's kids? Fine. Make sure you know how CPS works. You want to write a story about an author? Fine. Make sure you know how the publishing industry works. You want to write a story about a religious character? Fine. Make sure you understand what her faith teaches. Etc.

3) Stop posting tiny fragments and fretting over grammar, asking for feedback on things you never correct anyway. We can't say where this story is going or if it's going to be any good, any more than you can play us an E chord and ask if we think it'll make a good song when you write the rest of it. Just write the whole thing in your own language - don't just outline it in your head and call it complete, WRITE it, from beginning to end, all the chapters, the whole goddamn thing, in tiny black symbols on white background - then edit, look at word choice (keeping in mind what I wrote above) and ask for feedback. Or if you insist on posting a few unfinished scraps and people are gracious enough to help you with pointers on what to correct, actually go back and correct it. Otherwise, you're wasting everyone's time.

4) Read. Understand what other writers do. Don't copy them - try to understand what and how and why they write what they write.

None of this is news to you. Everyone has been telling you this for years. You know all this already. You want to be a writer, great! The one thing all writers have in common is this: they WRITE.

Have you ever finished any novels or full pieces of work or do you write a lot of fragments? Just curious :)

I have been unable. Each day is different then the other. Some days I can write and write, while others days I have severe writer's block. I dream of finishing something, some day, some way. If only I can be emotionally consistent LaGs. If only I can be.

I have been unable. Each day is different then the other. Some days I can write and write, while others days I have severe writer's block. I dream of finishing something, some day, some way. If only I can be emotionally consistent LaGs. If only I can be.

You sound very dramatic, like you yourself are a character in one of your novels lol

Become a robot. :)

Back